Thrice - New Album

brandy

Eh, seems to be a thing now.

I'd be curious for someone to interview all of these bands that did this in the 2000s only to come back in the 2010s and see if there is a trend in the answers.

I was going to say something about it not even being that long since the last album, but it will have been five years between Major Minor and this new album by the time it comes out, and previously we had never gone longer than two years between Thrice albums, so it is actually a pretty big gap.

I don't even like this band but I do remember they said they were going on "hiatus" rather than breaking up

I had forgotten this (and I like this band).

This is actually the bigger problem, a lot of band go on an indefinite hiatus (Thrice, NIN, other bands I don't remember off the top of my head), saying basically "After this we have no plans, one way or the other, so here's what might or might not be the last tour we do".

Which is fair (I guess), but the problem is all the fans/media don't get it and just say they're broken up.

If a band says 'we are done', and they come back less than 10 years later it's kinda lame.  Though, I'm always cool with reunion tours, 

Zao has approached this problem perfectly as far as I'm concerned.  They announced they were done as an 'active' band.  Basically, they don't tour, and they don't adhere to any sort of recording schedule.  They're still making music, but at a much slower pace.  And they may still do the odd (like, a few every two years) one-off show, but don't expect a tour.

I don't even like this band but I do remember they said they were going on "hiatus" rather than breaking up

Yup, this. The band never claimed they were done. They announced a hiatus until noted otherwise - which is now, apparently - and a "farewell for the time being" tour. Anyone assuming that they officially disbanded only to reform and milk cash cow are simply misinformed.

If recent interviews are to be believed, Dustin claims that he'd like to keep the gospel themes to his solo albums, and detract them from Thrice's lyrics. I know a lot of people who had gripes with the religious undertones of M/M, so that could work out in the band's favor.

I had forgotten this (and I like this band).

This is actually the bigger problem, a lot of band go on an indefinite hiatus (Thrice, NIN, other bands I don't remember off the top of my head), saying basically "After this we have no plans, one way or the other, so here's what might or might not be the last tour we do".

Which is fair (I guess), but the problem is all the fans/media don't get it and just say they're broken up.

If a band says 'we are done', and they come back less than 10 years later it's kinda lame. Though, I'm always cool with reunion tours,

Zao has approached this problem perfectly as far as I'm concerned. They announced they were done as an 'active' band. Basically, they don't tour, and they don't adhere to any sort of recording schedule. They're still making music, but at a much slower pace. And they may still do the odd (like, a few every two years) one-off show, but don't expect a tour.

I feel like that's exactly what happened with Thrice, though. The majority of the band was like; "Uhh, hey, we have kids now. And families to focus on. And less time to tour and record. We're not breaking up, but we can't really commit to anything consistent right now."

That's how I interpreted it, anyway. I figured we hadn't seen or heard the last from Thrice, but I did adapt a mentality that'd be okay if they rode off into the sunset.

Yup, this. The band never claimed they were done. They announced a hiatus until noted otherwise - which is now, apparently - and a "farewell for the time being" tour. Anyone assuming that they officially disbanded only to reform and milk cash cow are simply misinformed.

If recent interviews are to be believed, Dustin claims that he'd like to keep the gospel themes to his solo albums, and detract them from Thrice's lyrics. I know a lot of people who had gripes with the religious undertones of M/M, so that could work out in the band's favor.

But every Thrice album has religious undertones though