PO 1/15: Kokomo - Monochrome Noise Love (2/12/2016)

Thanks for your thoughts Derek. While I generally agree with you. I'd like to point out one difference. I do think that each song individually isn't anything ground breaking, and maybe even formulaic. I, however, would argue that as a whole this album isn't formulaic. It is greater than the sum of its parts. For instance, the opening track with female vocals makes us look at the album cover to ensure that we are listening the correct band (this in itself made it unique). That juxtaposed with the only other song with vocals, the second to last song, which is hellacious. I did a double take when that happened. The use of samples is almost over done but it works for me (which is saying something because I generally dislike samples due to the overuse of samples in 90's hardcore). I feel that Kokomo did a compelling job of combining the dark shoegaze from their s/t release with a new heavier riffage that is interwoven throughout (e.g. Licht/Staub). In the end for me, this record denotes a musical adventure into the heavier side of things for Kokomo, because of that, I already like it much more than their last releases. Throughout the whole record I find myself just agreeing with it. Saying silently to myself "yeah", "yeah". With that, I foresee that this will be a constant fixture in my rotation for a long time.

Take my thoughts with a grain of salt because I have never found interest in If Wolves but loved s/t. I know lots of people here love the If Wolves record. 

How does one not flip shit over "Epochs and Archives"?!?!?!

Downloading now.... can't wait to play this! I was going to just do the Mp3 320 download to save space but then I was thinking "ehhhh fuck, the hi-hats and cymbals will sound like ass, I need that hi-res WAV lossless sound" so I went with the FLAC. I hate my life. It's like I'm back to my days of downloading Phish shows on Etree where every show was fucking like 2 gigs because of the lossless filesets haha.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a pretty solid album, I've got to say.  it seems a little bit slower and darker than their other work, but I've yet to really give it a focused sit through.  That will probably happen only once I get the CD or vinyl and can make an event out of it.

If Wolves is still their best, though.  That record.... wow.