PO 1/15: Kokomo - Monochrome Noise Love (2/12/2016)

Almost halfway through my first listen as I type this. Extremely good, as predicted, though those opening vocals were very jarring - I had to make sure I was listening to the correct album. This is a very long record; by my count, it's running at about 62 minutes.

About halfway through myself, and really loving just how big it sounds with the three guitarists. I thought Pills and Pillows, while a surprise, was very pleasantly so. Licht/Staub's sample from True Detective brought a big smile as well. Overall, the tension that permeates each song has me on edge for each new song that comes, but even more so to listen to it when it finally ships.

holding out :mellow:

not really a cold shower issue, have so much new music still digesting from 2014

don't worry about spoiling, though, comment away!

2014? You must really be behind :P.

I love how abstract that opening song is.  Or moreover, the vocals on it.  Talk about a surefire way to grab your attention on a post-rock record.

With that being said... I do dig how massive and dark this record gets – and the samples they used really do click with me – but after [only] one dedicated listen, I feel like there's a good portion of the record that sounds pretty formulaic for the genre.  For me, a fair bit of the record felt like it was going through the "post-rock motions" and squandering a bit.  However... this isn't necessarily bad – not to sound like a total elitist, but I know there's a few users in this thread who consistently shit bricks over what I'd consider to be "safe" post-rock builds and crescendos, and I think Monochrome will please them a great deal if it hasn't already.  I'm happy for them.  I really am.

I do not regret my pre-order in the least and I'm eager to see how the packaging comes out.  I also pride myself in keeping an open mind and not jumping to conclusions after just one listen, so I'm excited to see how the record will sit with me over time.  I'll be giving it another listen tomorrow to see if more of it sticks; right now, I think I'm Not Dead was the only song that made me stop what I was doing to check the title.

If a 5 of 10 is completely neutral - not good or bad - I'd probably give the album a 6.5 at this point.  Maybe a 7.  I know that's a D+ / C- by grade school standards and percentages, but I can promise you it's not all that mediocre or trite.  Hopefully it will continue to knock my socks off with a few more listens.  Anyone revisit this thing more than 2-3 times?  The hour+ runtime makes for some situational listens for me, since I'm not one to stop midway through.  Considering the length and the ground it covers, when it was all said and done, it was definitely a satisfying, exhausting experience - not without its highlights - though not necessarily groundbreaking.  Like some drawn-out sex with someone you've been with for a very long time: it's great, but you kind of know what to expect.  You've been there before, but you're certainly not complaining.  Maybe they slip a finger in when you're least expecting it, or surprise you with some uncharacteristically dirty talk.  I don't know.  I'm interested to hear some other thoughts on it.

I love how abstract that opening song is. Or moreover, the vocals on it. Talk about a surefire way to grab your attention on a post-rock record.

With that being said... I do dig how massive and dark this record gets – and the samples they used really do click with me – but after [only] one dedicated listen, I feel like there's a good portion of the record that sounds pretty formulaic for the genre. For me, a fair bit of the record felt like it was going through the "post-rock motions" and squandering a bit. However... this isn't necessarily bad – not to sound like a total elitist, but I know there's a few users in this thread who consistently shit bricks over what I'd consider to be "safe" post-rock builds and crescendos, and I think Monochrome will please them a great deal if it hasn't already. I'm happy for them. I really am.

I do not regret my pre-order in the least and I'm eager to see how the packaging comes out. I also pride myself in keeping an open mind and not jumping to conclusions after just one listen, so I'm excited to see how the record will sit with me over time. I'll be giving it another listen tomorrow to see if more of it sticks; right now, I think I'm Not Dead was the only song that made me stop what I was doing to check the title.

If a 5 of 10 is completely neutral - not good or bad - I'd probably give the album a 6.5 at this point. Maybe a 7. I know that's a D+ / C- by grade school standards and percentages, but I can promise you it's not all that mediocre or trite. Hopefully it will continue to knock my socks off with a few more listens. Anyone revisit this thing more than 2-3 times? The hour+ runtime makes for some situational listens for me, since I'm not one to stop midway through. Considering the length and the ground it covers, when it was all said and done, it was definitely a satisfying, exhausting experience - not without its highlights - though not necessarily groundbreaking. Like some drawn-out sex with someone you've been with for a very long time: it's great, but you kind of know what to expect. You've been there before, but you're certainly not complaining. Maybe they slip a finger in when you're least expecting it, or surprise you with some uncharacteristically dirty talk. I don't know. I'm interested to hear some other thoughts on it.

Easy there, Gumbo.