If you've been eyeing any UK imports, it's probably time to buy...

I was originally going to post this in the Belle and Sebastian 12" box set thread, but since it has implications for all sorts of new releases I figured I'd start a topic for it.

This isn't purely vinyl-related, but for those of you that haven't been following - it looks like the UK has voted to leave the European Union and its sent the GBP and (to a lesser extent) the Euro plummeting. In fact, the £ is currently at its lowest level since 1985!!

Good news if you've been eyeing some UK imports, or something from amazon.co.uk. It's like a 10-15% off sale across the board. The aforementioned B&S box set, for example, is currently about $20 less than it would have been just 12 hours ago.

(Of course, for our record-buying cousins across the Atlantic, all it does is make things from the US even more expensive...)

You may be right, and obviously these sorts of things are difficult to predict, but my guess is that the currency gets totally hammered tomorrow then slowly recovers the beginning of next week after people have the weekend to think things over. Then it will trade up-and-down in coming weeks.

Remember, the entire process is going to take two years so who knows what will happen between now and then. "Experts" were predicting if they voted to leave it could go as low as $1.15 but I'd be surprised if it drops below $1.20 this soon. Maybe long-term if they slip into recession, but I still reckon the hysteria surrounding the vote will cause a big over-reaction tomorrow and set a near-term bottom.

Again, just my guess...

22 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Also keep in mind that the adjustments on sites like discogs don't take immediate effect if I'm remembering correctly. I'm not sure about other sites, but you may have to wait to see the full effect.

Yeh this is true. I just went to pay for something in GBP on Paypal and the change in exchange rate still hasn't taken effect...

28 minutes ago, cameronbudde said:

Amazon also do it once a day? Been eyeing a video game on there. 

If you're not using PayPal, it all depends on your payment method. You should call your CC company up and ask them what the current conversion rate they're giving is. I think a lot of CCs convert in near real-time (plus whatever foreign transaction fees they tack on).