post your set-up thread

Hello everyone, interested in getting some feedback.

Building my first hifi. As many, trying to maximize sound in a budget minded manner.

I have:

a pair of Monitor Audio Silver Rx2's (open box, paid $550)

Musical Fidelity V90 LPS Phono preamp (open box, paid $199)

I am waiting on a u-turn orbit plus with acrylic platter and grado blue cart

I want to upgrade to a true integrated amp (currently using my marantz slimline reciever and know this is not ideal). I am considering the NAD316BEE

Thoughts on the U-turn? Thoughts on the NAD316BEE?

If I'm all in for

Monitor Audio silver Rx2's. 550

Musical Fidelity v90lps. 200

U-turn plus with grado blue 360

NAD 316BEE 380

TOTAL. $1,490. USD

Could I do any better with anything else in the under $1,500 range????

Here's my feedback.  Understand that this is all very subjective and this is only my own personal opinion.

The speakers and pre-amp are both very decent pieces of equipment.  I've heard those speakers before at an audio equipment convention, good overall for the price and size.  Very nice bass response.  Cool you got that pre-amp for an open-box price, but did you really have a need for MC compatibility?  Could've gotten the MM only model for about $70 cheaper.

The NAD C 316BEE I've never read anything about before or heard one.  The reviews I see now are pretty favorable overall.  Have you considered looking for a integrated amp that's used from a high-end audio community like audiogon.com?  I got my Rotel RA960BX from there for $200 and it's super nice.  You can do what you like, but I can't recommend used equipment enough for anyone looking to upgrade on a budget.  Take some time and do some looking around and try not to limit yourself on one particular model.

As for the U-Turn thing.  I believe that hits the market in March.  I personally would be very weary of buying one of those until after it came out and got some reviews from other people that bought it right out of the gate.  It could turn out to be a big suck.  Are you someone who isn't interested in any kind of bells and whistles when it comes to your TT?  If you really want something bare bones like that, I would really try to save myself some money on the other upgrades and dump what you save into your budget for a turntable and get the Project Debut Carbon (tested and true, solid table).  Those come with an Ortofon 2m Red stock, so then you wouldn't really have to upgrade the cart (unless you wanted to go up to something like the 2m Blue, but some people notice very little difference in that upgrade).  My personal preference is to have some of those bells and whistles.  I love my auto-return, for example.

Here's a nice looking integrated at Audiogon.  Asking $300 but you should be able to talk it down at least to $250.  Has built-in pre-amps for MM and MC, but since you already have a dedicated pre-amp, I'd probably just use that.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-rotel-ra-2030-integrated-amp-2014-02-02-integrateds-l9g4v6-canada

Debut Carbon

http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=debutcarbon

this Denon table is probably what I'm going to upgrade to when I get some available funds.  Been using a vintage JVC and definitely could stand to get something better.

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-DP-300F-Automatic-Analog-Turntable/dp/B000FMNBXG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391437989&sr=8-1&keywords=denon+turntable

Just some things to think about.  Good luck on your search!  :)

Hello everyone, interested in getting some feedback.

Building my first hifi. As many, trying to maximize sound in a budget minded manner.

I have:

a pair of Monitor Audio Silver Rx2's (open box, paid $550)

Musical Fidelity V90 LPS Phono preamp (open box, paid $199)

I am waiting on a u-turn orbit plus with acrylic platter and grado blue cart

I want to upgrade to a true integrated amp (currently using my marantz slimline reciever and know this is not ideal). I am considering the NAD316BEE

Thoughts on the U-turn? Thoughts on the NAD316BEE?

If I'm all in for

Monitor Audio silver Rx2's. 550

Musical Fidelity v90lps. 200

U-turn plus with grado blue 360

NAD 316BEE 380

TOTAL. $1,490. USD

Could I do any better with anything else in the under $1,500 range????

I posted the below in the other thread you posted this in

Some good suggestions and points above.

"Those Speakers and phono stage can cope with much much better kit.

You might be better spending your money on higher end 2nd hand kit certainly with the turntable anyway.

I've not heard the U-turn but looking at other reviews and opinions it's nowhere near the level you can drive into a V90 LPS and the NAD 316 is perfectly good but not at the level of either your phono stage or speakers.

I'm in the UK so can't really suggest what would be the cost effective choice as what is cost effective over here isn't always the same over there so hopefully someone in the US can chime in with some suggestions but if you were over here in the UK I would point you at 2nd hand turntables like the Pink Triangle's, later Systemdeks, better Aristons, maybe a cheaper LP12 if you can find one, a Thorens like a TD160B that doesn't use the Thorens arm, one of the Rega's RP3 upwards or something like that.

Your choices will work but there is a hell of a lot of good kit out there that cost a fortune in the late 80's and 90's that is still way better than the same money will buy you new."

Nah, and I go pretty loud! I've contemplated it though, but my room is so ridiculously small it's one of the few places they'll fit. Know of any place that would sell cheap stands for them? They're not too heavy.

They definitely are. The vibration will cause the needle to vibrate which will alter the sound and even potentially damage your records. I would move them. Putting them on the same stand is never a good idea.

Isolate them with stands (buy or build them), wall brackets or shelves. Anything would be better than that close to your table.

Here's mine.

Pretty crummy in some areas, great in others.

Technics 1200 MKII
Ortofon OM Pro cartridge
Yamaha NS-1000 floor speakers
Yamaha HTR-6230 receiver
Pro-Ject Phono Box MM Preamp

The receiver and cartridge are the biggest issues I'd say, so I'm hoping sometime to upgrade them, but just not sure what to yet.

seig.jpg

ncr1.jpg

j0k1.jpg

I have a pair of Salk HT3s coming in tomorrow.  Will be moving my song towers and tc sub to the living room for TV purposes and using the HT3s for my vinyl set up.  So Stoked.  Will post pictures when they are set up

Now that is a pretty serious speaker!  Post some pics and impressions when and if you get a chance :)

What is the rest of the setup?  

Nothing special. Yamaha CR-620, Klipsch Quartets, fed by Sony PS-242 and Sony CDP-508ESD. Also some NAD 2600 amps, Richter Scale III Active Crossover and an Onkyo AVR temporarily acting as a preamp for the DIY satellites and Subs. The Realistic LAB-395 has been replaced by the Sony PS-242. Ortofon Omega cartridge on the way.

1377078163cbb4e685b72ed4737130cb_zpsbafc

Nothing special. Yamaha CR-620, Klipsch Quartets, fed by Sony PS-242 and Sony CDP-508ESD. Also some NAD 2600 amps, Richter Scale III Active Crossover and an Onkyo AVR temporarily acting as a preamp for the DIY satellites and Subs. The Realistic LAB-395 has been replaced by the Sony PS-242. Ortofon Omega cartridge on the way.

1377078163cbb4e685b72ed4737130cb_zpsbafc

And Dire Straits' Brothers in Arms  :)  Nice setup.

image-1.jpg

image-2.jpg

The second isn't the best pic but it's a crown xls2500 amp with an Audio Research sp14 and a rega rp1 TT

The plan is to get a van alstine power amp in the next year or so and to upgrade to a rega rp6 TT

It's an expensive hobby but one I enjoy.

Oh I forgot you asked for impressions.

Well they are amazing. The clarity is unreal. I have come to love the ribbon tweeters clarity on my song towers and now having a woofwr dedicated to the mid range has taken that Rt to a new level. They also play insanely deep. I couldn't ask for a better speaker for the price.

Now that is a pretty serious speaker! Post some pics and impressions when and if you get a chance :)

What is the rest of the setup?