What video games have you been playing?

I pre-ordered FFX so I've been playing it for about a week on my PS Vita.

How does it look?  I bought it but haven't touched it yet.  Trying to finish off FF13-2 on the PS3 and then picking up Ragnarok Odyssey Ace for the Vita on 4/1.  I wanna go thru Ragnarok first, then I'll dive into the FFX/X-2 series on my vita.  I am anxious to play it though b/c I loved FFX.

It looks great.  To be fair I've only really played the Walking Dead game, Persona 4 and couple from the PS_+ network so I don't have a ton to compare to but the cut scenes look amazing. 

I love the scene with Tidus and Yuna having the conversation in the lake.  That looks fucking amazing.

Nice. Yeah, that is one of my favorite scenes in any final fantasy title. That along with the opera house scen in FF6.

Yeah I don't think they have a price match thing. Besides I just checked and they are still selling for 499

They definitely won't. No price matching and this is NOT a price cut. Several huge retailers are just selling the system at a loss because they can afford to with all their other huge mark up items they sell. Consoles have little to no mark up, especially after distributing them to stores. Maybe a couple dollars per console sold goes into the profit column.

They definitely won't. No price matching and this is NOT a price cut. Several huge retailers are just selling the system at a loss because they can afford to with all their other huge mark up items they sell. Consoles have little to no mark up, especially after distributing them to stores. Maybe a couple dollars per console sold goes into the profit column.

Source? Seems doubtful to me. It's not like Edison giving away light bulbs so he can sell electricity. Lots of other companies making the games. Or does a portion of every game sold go to sony/Microsoft?

Source? Seems doubtful to me. It's not like Edison giving away light bulbs so he can sell electricity. Lots of other companies making the games. Or does a portion of every game sold go to sony/Microsoft?

It's pretty common knowledge that consoles are sold for no profit (when the ps3 was released it was actually sold for a loss, more than $100 loss too).

Your assumption is right though, they make their money on software.

I ran a Gamestop for 3 years. Software and accessories are the money makers for a retailer. And then stupid stuff like strategy guides have a huge profit margin. So a place like gamestop that doesn't sell the crazy different amount of products that Walmart/amazon/best buy/etc is going to be less willing to run non sanctioned sales on a new console because they just eat the loss and have fewer places to make it back up.

Edit: To shed a little light on why any company would sell the system at a loss at all, there is some statistic attached to a customer returning to where they bought their console to buy things for it. Like a 60% chance or something, I can't remember. So everyone wants you to buy the console at their store so there is a greater chance you will return there for the stuff that actually makes money. Plus most people pick up extra games, controllers, etc when they buy a new console.

Not to mention how much they clean up on selling Xbox live subscriptions.  Also the fact that a download code for a game costs the exact same as a physical copy boggles my mind.  

But yea, $60 games, $60 controllers, $70 headsets, $60 yearly subscriptions... Microsoft has you hooked in to buy so much shit for them, its good business to try to make the consoles as widely available as possible.

And that's not even considering Dan's piece of info on the rate of customers returning to the same store to buy games/accessories as extra incentives for the stores to take a hit on the console price.  Definitely makes sense that they'd take a $50 hit now, and recoup it 10 times over throughout the life of that gaming system.

Finally got my MUT squad to 99 OVR. Just looking to grab a few crucial upgrades to current starters and I should be able to move on to another game...hopefully.

After Madden slows down, I will probably hit that new Bioshock DLC, and then try and finally finish Tomb Raider. Then I can start Black Flag. After all of that I am probably going to continue my chronological Metal Gear run...

This just cracked me up.  I figure this thread is probably the best place to share it.

http://youtu.be/L_8DtS3zzJo

Street Fighter, Pete Holmes, Kumail? This sketch couldn't lose.

Also; I'm loving the Pete Holmes show, his podcast is beyond great too.

In other news - I FINALLY picked up a GOTY copy of Halo 4.

Halo 3 was my life for years, I haven't spent a single second in Halo 4 yet until now.

Can't wait to get back into it.