Any comic book readers?

I've never really been into comics but some guys I used to work with years ago had me read a few of them. I liked Walking Dead but I can't remember how far into them I got. I also really liked DMZ. We eventually all got laid off so my comic reading ended then haha.

One of the guys who had me reading these writes a comic called Rat Queens, not sure if anyone here has heard of it.

...seriously?

I got into comics as a kid in the early 90's and have a soft spot for a lot of books from then.

But as an adult reading comics... the 90's is the absolute worst decade for comic books.

Are you meaning in terms of superhero stuff? Because plenty of series like Preacher, Sandman, et al ruled the 90s. I think while Superheros went the way of Liefield the alternative imprints of the majors kicked ass and pushed the medium into a respected art form where artists and writers could explore within the pages of comics and not be viewed as hacks by other forms of media. 

Hell no. My point - Superhero comics of the 90's were definitely at their weakest despite some outliers. The medium of comics as a whole however was advanced tremendously through the boutique imprints (Vertigo, Wildstorm, etc). What happened in the 90's on the indie circuit and the boutique imprints had a huge impact on the revival of superhero titles in the aughts. So to say that comics in the 90s sucked is a bit of a misnomer. Some of the best books of all times came out in that period. While Liefeld and his toothpick ankeled hulks ruled/ruined Superhero comics for a decade the groundwork was being put down for a renaissance. 

(Note: As a kid I thought Liefeld era X-Force was cool. D'oh)

You know - Liefeld might not have been so bad had his style not taken over the entire industry. It's hard to look back and judge his work on its own when so much that was derived from him was abominable. I should re-read the early X-Factor stuff and re-judge it. I just remember looking at Cable one day as a kid and thinking "Man, he is so cool" and then a couple years later being like "Why does he have 85 things strapped across his chest". 

Ok - Superhero comics of the 90s: What were everyone's favorites? 

I look back on Harbinger and still think it's brilliant. I still like Shadowman. There were a couple decent runs on X-Men & Spiderman. I have a soft spot for Spawn but admit I need to reread it. Stormwatch & The Authority were cool - especially the latter. It is amazing to think back and admit I enjoyed little DC/Marvel stuff. The best Batman story for me was No Man's Land and it didn't start until 1999. So there is that. 

Are you meaning in terms of superhero stuff? Because plenty of series like Preacher, Sandman, et al ruled the 90s. I think while Superheros went the way of Liefield the alternative imprints of the majors kicked ass and pushed the medium into a respected art form where artists and writers could explore within the pages of comics and not be viewed as hacks by other forms of media. 

Yes, I mean the mainstream Marvel and DC universes, and a lot of the Image and Valiant books in the 90's were garbage.

You know - Liefeld might not have been so bad had his style not taken over the entire industry. It's hard to look back and judge his work on its own when so much that was derived from him was abominable. I should re-read the early X-Factor stuff and re-judge it. I just remember looking at Cable one day as a kid and thinking "Man, he is so cool" and then a couple years later being like "Why does he have 85 things strapped across his chest". 

Ok - Superhero comics of the 90s: What were everyone's favorites? 

I look back on Harbinger and still think it's brilliant. I still like Shadowman. There were a couple decent runs on X-Men & Spiderman. I have a soft spot for Spawn but admit I need to reread it. Stormwatch & The Authority were cool - especially the latter. It is amazing to think back and admit I enjoyed little DC/Marvel stuff. The best Batman story for me was No Man's Land and it didn't start until 1999. So there is that. 

Not to nitpick your list but, The Authority and No Man's Land are borderline 90's books. They both started in 1999 but went well into the 2000's. That would be like calling Sandman and 80's book.

I will always love the Death and Return of Superman and Knightfall story lines since those are the ones that really got me hooked into reading comics and spending all my money on them on a weekly basis.

I agree on Harbinger. Also Daredevil: The Man Without Fear miniseries stands out.

There were some pretty great Batman collections throughout the 90s, Spawn was pretty kick-ass, and the X-Men had some pretty great arcs; so the 90s weren't such a terrible era for the industry.  I was super involved in the X-Men/X-Force/etc crossover, "Fatal Attractions," that was epic for a kiddo, not to mention those awesome holograms on the covers. 

The issue with the 90s was the sudden sales explosion created so much demand that the publishers put out way too much total crap with glossy covers. Anyone remember the hype surrounding Turok #1? It was a terrible book but I bought it anyway.

So yeah, there is good stuff in there but it's lost in the mass amounts of junk. There is so much talent working in the industry right now, I hope this is a permanent trend. 

Some books I'm curious about.  Has anyone here read any of these:

- Postal

- Nameless

- Secret Identities

Also stoked to read The Sculptor (long, artistic graphic novel) and Abigail and the Snowman (cutsie 4 issue thingy)

Postal has been good so far, but Matt Hawkins other 2 books are WAY better: Think Tank and The Tithe.

Two issues into the Nameless...think Im about to drop it.  Grants books are probably better for trade waiters, not enough info issue to issue.

Have Secret Identities in my "To read" stack.