Opinion on Variant Collectors.

I see no problem collecting certain bands that are your favorites but generally overall yeah it's pointless.[/quote

I was going to make a thread called "Where do you draw the line?"

For me it was the Manges/Hard-Ons split. There are some bands that I love and buy everything. Luckily they aren't too big and it's possible.

I love the Manges, but not having 12 copies of a single feels better than having them.

The truth is, we buy variants to fill a void.

I like my variants, but I'll admit that I have had them out of site in a closet for the past several months. A little experiement to see if I need them.

I don't care if someone wants to buy every copy. I love the post a pic of your collection thread. The labels encourage this and profit of it. If you're pissed, write the label. The labels are playing variant collectors like accordions.

The labels encourage this and profit of it. If you're pissed, write the label. The labels are playing variant collectors like accordions.

This. If every record were to be pressed only on 180g black (or whatever color if one color only), everybody would be happy. Except for the Artwork-matchers maybe, depending on the color ;D And the flippers, hopefully, we don't want them to be happy, do we? 8-)

I'm an artwork matcher

This. Especially on a rare variants

If someone is willing to pony up lots of money for multiple variants what could you do. Its selfish and fucked up but what could you do. I believe there is a law of equilibrium where you can buy sell and trade into getting what you want. Just gotta be patient...

I'm a rarity collector because I am spending my expendable income on collectibles. Part of the obsession is setting out to find the rarest records that I enjoy because that's the chase. With that said, however, I have predominately stopped buying CDs because all I do is buy records. There's nothing I own, no matter how rare or expensive, that I just sit on a shelf. I listen to everything.

Collecting variants of records for the sole purpose of flipping them is the only thing that really pisses me off. I think it you really love an album, you are justified. I collect a few variants, but not many. I do have a habit of picking up a variant that has miraculously appeared out of thin air after years of being in the labels basement. Again, not just for the sake of having it. I have to love the band.

i think we all suck. haha. im sure most people would rather have the more limited of a pressing, most people would like to be able to afford different colors. And i'm pretty sure everyone on here has flipped at least one record for way more than they paid, just because someone was willing to pay the high price. yet... everyone hates flippers.

and i agree with the post earlier about the rarity of records being a chase. yeah, that kinda goes hand in hand with flipping. if you want the more limited records you have to pay top dollar most of the time. ebay. so to make that money quickly, you gotta flip. but anyways... the chase and hunt for a limited record is fun, i look every day for rare records i want. it just sucks that i cant buy all of them. =( i feel like im rambling now.......