What books are you reading?

falling behind on my personal reading challenge for 2015 - set myself a goal of 60 books and currently on 39. Originally I wanted to read 40 books but in springtime I started reading a few comics so I moved the goal to a higher number.

been reading a lot of those Penguin Little Black Classics, 80 pence each. I've read the ones by Wilfred Owen, Catallus, Pu Songling, Suetonius, and still have Nietzsche, Christina Rossetti and a few others to go.

Mostly ive been reading non fiction but want a good novel to read on holiday. Has anyone read John Dies at the End? I don't know if I'll love it or hate it. Might start it this weekend.

. Has anyone read John Dies at the End? I don't know if I'll love it or hate it. Might start it this weekend.

I really really didn't like this book. I thought it had a level of smugness that tried to mask the fact that it wasn't that well written. Granted, horror/supernatural is not my genre of choice, so that could have contributed. But it really felt like it was the kind of book where whenever something needed to happen, the writer just made something up that fit within the laws of the universe to conveniently make the plot go forward. I know that people love that book, but not for me.

I just read " ready player One" within 24 hours. It was such a great book! Then I bought and read "armada" in a week. I do need a new book though. 

Unlike John Dies at the End, I loved Ready Player One. Truly the kind of book that is next to impossible to put down. It's written in a very straightfoward, actiony way kind of like the Hunger Games, but the plot is so much fun and really kind of grabs you in (especially if you are a child of 80s and 90s pop culture and video games).

I want to read Armada, but it's been getting some pretty bad reviews, which makes me worry a bit.

Currently I'm ready the Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. So far pretty good, well written, though starting to drag (it's 700+ pages, and I'm halfway, but it feels like it perhaps could have been shorter).

Just finished reading Penpal by Dathan Auerbach.  So incredibly unsettling and creepy.  It started as a story on r/NoSleep and it soon became one of the more popular stories on there, so the author made a Kickstarter and was able to make it into a book!

A movie deal was also announced in 2012 but nothing's happened with that yet.  He gave a minor update on it in February of this year, but there wasn't really any news about it moving forward yet.

Yeah that's a really good creepy story! You should read spire in the woods, it's a no sleep story that's about the length of a novella.

It's my favorite horror story ever. I loved it!

I will most definitely do that!  You gotta check out {S}mile if you haven't yet!  I just read it recently and it's absolutely amazing.  Start here: https://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/1z6m6s/alzheimers/and then scroll down to the 3rd comment for links to the rest of the story.  That link I posted is to "A", but then it's followed by B, C, D, E, etc.  Incredibly creepy and well-written.

Awesome! I love no sleep so much, it's just such a cool concept. I read 'A' and I'm already hooked for sure. 

Thanks for sharing! Borrasca by The_Dalek_Emporer is another amazing series, it was pretty popular during the summer and it had one of the most disturbing endings I've ever read.

I just finished American Gods a few days ago. Can't wait for the Starz series. Incredible, imaginative plots and beautiful themes. 

Awesome! I love no sleep so much, it's just such a cool concept. I read 'A' and I'm already hooked for sure.

Thanks for sharing! Borrasca by The_Dalek_Emporer is another amazing series, it was pretty popular during the summer and it had one of the most disturbing endings I've ever read.

Really glad you liked it! You gotta let me know when you finish the series! I'll check Borrasca out soon too. Thanks a lot for the suggestion!

Just finished reading Penpal by Dathan Auerbach.  So incredibly unsettling and creepy.  It started as a story on r/NoSleep and it soon became one of the more popular stories on there, so the author made a Kickstarter and was able to make it into a book!

A movie deal was also announced in 2012 but nothing's happened with that yet.  He gave a minor update on it in February of this year, but there wasn't really any news about it moving forward yet.

I was just about to start Penpal, should i read it?

Just finished "Zombie" by Joyce Carol Oates.  Anyone that is familiar with Oates should know that she is definitely one of the greatest rural gothic/americana writers ever.  This story was definitely a parallel to the life of Jeffrey Dahmer; therefore, it was incredibly well written, yet disturbing.  I would recommend anything that she's written.  

Been traveling for work so sitting on planes and at airports has allowed for some reading. Just finished up steve martins shopgirl and john fante the road to los angeles. I liked both but i thought road to los angeles was way more rambly compared to other fante stuff.

Either going to work on post office by buchowski or a david sedaris book next depending on the mood