Shit on bands here

does anyone even listen to marley? as far as i can tell, he's good for one thing, and one thing only- t-shirts. 

I for one do. Specifically the album 'Catch A Fire' where he speaks out against social injustice and the slavery of non-white peoples (400 Years, Slave Driver). Tracks like Concrete Jungle also express the discontent with living in a technological concrete society, something I think a lot of people on here can identify with. I definitely don't subscribe to Marley, nor do I smoke weed but some of his lesser known material is very powerful. 

• 3 weeks later...

The Used.

Saw them open for TBS last week and wow are they bad.  They're at least in their 30s if not 40s and they're still angry about their childhoods?  Get over it.

They also reminded me how much I hate Rage Against The Machine.  They were great back in the day but I can't stand rich suburban white kids yelling Fuck You I won't do what you tell me.

Anyone here ever hear the band Lions Lions? Saw them live a couple times and each time I wanted to harm myself just to make it stop.

around here, you couldn't go to a local show without lions lions being on the bill. I have seen that band so many times over the years without having ever wanted to. ugh.

i'll just leave this here

This is like "Stick Stickly" 2.0. Fucking hilarious.

That being said... the production quality of that video is actually pretty solid. And as much as I hate metalcore and think it's one of the most tired genres you could hear today, these guys actually do a good job of making themselves stand out with those rap passages or whatever you would call them.

That's not to say that I enjoyed the music, or that I would watch the video again (with the sound on, at least), but "Paranoiac" was actually pretty refreshing compared to the metalcore I'm used to hearing around my friends (August Burns Red and Attila).

Also, I didn't know "paranoiac" was a word. Learn something new everyday.

Edit: I knew the rapping reminded me of something. It's this:

peanut-butter-jelly-time-o.gif

OT: I agree with this:

They also reminded me how much I hate Rage Against The Machine.  They were great back in the day but I can't stand rich suburban white kids yelling Fuck You I won't do what you tell me.

What, eat your vegetables and go to private school? Fuck suburban white kids complaining about anything.

re: smoke 2 joints.

Are you in HS ?

i hate the song as well, because when I was in HS 5 years ago, it was exactly how you described as well. I also don't smoke. I bet if you smoked you wouldn't hate the song as much!

I'm only 22 now, and one of my closest friend groups smoke way too much but they don't ever ever talk about that song or put it on or anything. Fun fact, it's actually a cover!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_Two_Joints

Not really sure what smoking has to do with liking a song. I have smoked regularly since I was a kid and Bob Marley and Sublime can go fuck themselves with a nail covered baseball bat. I'll echo the other dude and say that Seed is awesome though.

I really can't stand Evan Weiss or a single one of his bands. I wish I never had to hear about him again. WE GET IT, YOU THINK YOU ARE A BOOKWORM WHO LIKES RETRO VINYLZ.

Not really sure what smoking has to do with liking a song. I have smoked regularly since I was a kid and Bob Marley and Sublime can go fuck themselves with a nail covered baseball bat.

I'll echo the other dude and say that Seed is awesome though.

It's not smoking so much as it is the "pot smoker mentality." In fact, it's not smoking at all, I don't think.

The "pot smoker mentality" is "yeah, man, I smoke tons of weed, and that makes me cool, if you don't smoke weed, you're a faggot, smoke weed, faggot."

This is epitomized in "Smoke Two Joints:"

"I smoke two joints at this time of day, then I smoke two joints later in the day, and then I smoke two more joints and then two additional joints for a total of many joints in one day. I smoke weed and you need to know about it."*

Maybe the "pot smoker mentality" is only a thing where I live. It seems everybody (read: every high school/college student who is "cool") has it.

* That was paraphrasing, but you see the point.

It's not smoking so much as it is the "pot smoker mentality." In fact, it's not smoking at all, I don't think.

The "pot smoker mentality" is "yeah, man, I smoke tons of weed, and that makes me cool, if you don't smoke weed, you're a faggot, smoke weed, faggot."

This is epitomized in "Smoke Two Joints:"

"I smoke two joints at this time of day, then I smoke two joints later in the day, and then I smoke two more joints and then two additional joints for a total of many joints in one day. I smoke weed and you need to know about it."*

Maybe the "pot smoker mentality" is only a thing where I live. It seems everybody (read: every high school/college student who is "cool") has it.

* That was paraphrasing, but you see the point.

Nope, nearly every one in my high school had this mentality. They would all listen to Sublime, Marley, and Modest Mouse in the art room ALL the time and only those bands/artists.

Nope, nearly every one in my high school had this mentality. They would all listen to Sublime, Marley, and Modest Mouse in the art room ALL the time and only those bands/artists.

Not much has changed. Same shit still happens, still in the art room.

The only difference is that the music is more insufferable now. It's all Chief Keef, Lil Wayne, and Yeezus. I like a lot of Sublime songs, I like some Bob Marley songs, and I could tolerate listening to Modest Mouse in moderation. But fucking Chief Keef... Jesus Christ.

Edit: I think I may have found another reason for "Smoke Two Joints" being so wildly popular in my town. It's two minutes and 53 seconds long, and our area code here is 253. Fuck!

I love(d) Title Fight and credit them for getting me into this niche of music (RFC, Topshelf, etc) but everything after Shed has been a total snooze fest for me. TLTYF is an all time favorite of mine.

I went to a Senses Fail show in 2010 while on vacation in Arizona when I was 16 and Title Fight and B&C opened for them. Still to this day, I have never seen a crowd go as nuts for a band as those people did for Title Fight.

Anyways, I digress. Floral Green is sooooooo boring.

Pop radio sux

What bugs me the most is how pop radio has gone from mostly shitty pop music to completely shitty edm/pop music.  I don't listen to the radio, I just use an auxiliary cord and plug my iPod in, but when I am forced to listen to it, it's terrible.  I'm a sucker for the odd pop song if its catchy, Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, etc, but now it's all just electronic bullshit.   

What bugs me the most is how pop radio has gone from mostly shitty pop music to completely shitty edm/pop music. I don't listen to the radio, I just use an auxiliary cord and plug my iPod in, but when I am forced to listen to it, it's terrible. I'm a sucker for the odd pop song if its catchy, Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, etc, but now it's all just electronic bullshit.

All day every day.

I only have a 4G so I'm constantly rotating music but I have CDs for back up

I don't understand people's obsession with bands that I liked/were popular in middle school.  taking back sunday, panic at the disco, fall out boy, motion city soundtrack, etc

I just didn't realize they were still popular?  I put on fob and panic's early stuff for nostalgia every now an then but I just don't get the appeal of having it on vinyl or (most) of the other emo/screamo/whatever you call it music.

just my opinion.  I just see a LOT of people selling/wanting those kinds of things and it's confusing.

I'd totally buy singles of certain songs for nostalgia reasons but I don't get the appeal anymore.  Maybe you guys are really young idk.

I'm just saying if I had a choice I'd shop at Urban Outfitters for Vinyl before Hot Topic because they have more of what I like. (and what I don't like but you get my point)