Shit on bands here

I don't understand people's obsession with bands that I liked/were popular in middle school. taking back sunday, panic at the disco, fall out boy, motion city soundtrack, etc

All those bands have three-word names (except panic) but those are groups I don't like based on name alone.

They were okay for their time but I honestly can't remember any lasting appeal

I don't understand people's obsession with bands that I liked/were popular in middle school.  taking back sunday, panic at the disco, fall out boy, motion city soundtrack, etc

For me it was high school and early college. Maybe it just had more influence since I was older? But I also group Thursday, Thrice, Circa in that same time frame and I still love all of that stuff. Also, I wouldn't say I'm obsessed but having those albums mean a lot to me. I still jam every album I buy. I wouldn't buy it if I didn't want to listen to it. Everyone is different and likes different things. You don't have to understand why. 

That's not to say that I enjoyed the music, or that I would watch the video again (with the sound on, at least), but "Paranoiac" was actually pretty refreshing compared to the metalcore I'm used to hearing around my friends (August Burns Red and Attila).

Woah woah woah. How can you even pair August Burns Red and Attila together?

I just didn't realize they were still popular?  I put on fob and panic's early stuff for nostalgia every now an then but I just don't get the appeal of having it on vinyl or (most) of the other emo/screamo/whatever you call it music.

Just now made the connection between "emo" and "screamo." Shit. Never looked at it that way before.

I even listen to some Offspring and can say that I whole heartedly agree.

I like "Keep 'Em Separated," but it's only because of the guitar and drum parts. I can't stand the vocals. I don't get Smash or any other Offspring album or why they're considered to be in the same vein as (pre-Insomniac) Green Day, Bad Religion, and NOFX. 

Woah woah woah. How can you even pair August Burns Red and Attila together?

Sorry if that's sacrilegious. I'm not an expert on metalcore because I hate the genre. Those are just the two I hear most often when I'm with my metalcore friends.

I'm just saying if I had a choice I'd shop at Urban Outfitters for Vinyl before Hot Topic because they have more of what I like. (and what I don't like but you get my point)

Why not shop at record stores? Still don't understand how people go to clothes shops to buy their records.

Why not shop at record stores? Still don't understand how people go to clothes shops to buy their records.

Hot Topic clearance can be pretty sweet. I got Touche Amore's Demo 7" for $2 back before their first LP came out and my buddy found Converge - You Fail Me for $5. It's been years since I've been in a HT though. The one where I live now doesn't carry vinyl and the one time I went in there and asked the kid at the counter started telling me I could use their kiosk to order records and have them shipped to the store. I had to cut him off like "I know you're just doing your job but I know what the internet is, so calm down I have a movie to catch."

In regards to pop radio. I agree its shit, but sometimes I go back 2 my middle school days and listen to some billboard top 100 from 2005 and god damn nostalgic like cmon mariah carey - "we belong together". while we were car pooling to one of our classes a car full of us men were belting out those croons. but this generation of pop music, i couldn't listen to it for irony/nostalgia reasons ever, and I feel bad for the kids who are growing up with this shit 

The worst current band for me at the moment is The 1975. Not sure how big these guys are in the US but they're on the radio all the time here and it's some of the most dire, pointless and ugly sounding music I've ever heard. The singer has this really fucking stupid affectation on his voice so it sounds like he's singing in this ancient hiccup language. Just fucking terrible.

Hot Topic clearance can be pretty sweet. I got Touche Amore's Demo 7" for $2 back before their first LP came out and my buddy found Converge - You Fail Me for $5. It's been years since I've been in a HT though. The one where I live now doesn't carry vinyl and the one time I went in there and asked the kid at the counter started telling me I could use their kiosk to order records and have them shipped to the store. I had to cut him off like "I know you're just doing your job but I know what the internet is, so calm down I have a movie to catch."

I'm pretty sure shipping to the store is free, which is kind of kind of nice if you are really close to one. 

A lack of good local record stores, I reckon. 

The worst current band for me at the moment is The 1975. Not sure how big these guys are in the US but they're on the radio all the time here and it's some of the most dire, pointless and ugly sounding music I've ever heard. The singer has this really fucking stupid affectation on his voice so it sounds like he's singing in this ancient hiccup language. Just fucking terrible.

Yeah I don't like The 1975.  I have Sirius radio so I've had to endure Chocolate for the past year on Alt. Nation.  The worst.  I'm still convinced that they are a Hellogoodbye ripoff band.  They're releasing shit that sounds exactly like what Forrest put out in like 2004 when it was somewhat tolerable.

I don't understand people's obsession with bands that I liked/were popular in middle school.  taking back sunday, panic at the disco, fall out boy, motion city soundtrack, etc

I just didn't realize they were still popular?  I put on fob and panic's early stuff for nostalgia every now an then but I just don't get the appeal of having it on vinyl or (most) of the other emo/screamo/whatever you call it music.

just my opinion.  I just see a LOT of people selling/wanting those kinds of things and it's confusing.

I'd totally buy singles of certain songs for nostalgia reasons but I don't get the appeal anymore.  Maybe you guys are really young idk.

I'm just saying if I had a choice I'd shop at Urban Outfitters for Vinyl before Hot Topic because they have more of what I like. (and what I don't like but you get my point)

Not sure the point about Urban Outfitters and Hot Topic, two totally different stores with different distribution/options haha. Especially because Hot Topic puts out some really good releases in my opinion, but I wouldn't necessarily buy a band shirt from them or even visit the store. Also, they carry new releases from labels like No Sleep Records and Paper + Plastick which is awesome. Stuff that I'm into now, not stuff I was into as a kid.

However, to comment on the nostalgic music thing, I can kind of relate to buying some albums I really enjoyed in middle/high school. Like Something Corporate and The Starting Line. The majority of the bands I was in favor for back then sound like shit to me now that I've matured, but some of those records have become classics to me. Like Brand New - Deja Entendu.

Anyway, the point I'm getting at is I buy some of the albums I grew up listening to for not only nostalgic reasons (that's almost enough) but because the albums are actually good. I've revisited them as an adult and still enjoy them. I wouldn't buy every album by every band I liked just for nostalgic purposes though, the music has to sound good to me still.

Fuck any one with the "something the something" band name.

Foster the people, young the giant, jukebox the ghost.

Also, Bastille can fuck right off forever.