Shit on bands here

I just don't get the point of the "art" if you're not making/writing it.  

A play should only ever be performed once because no other actor could add their own nuances and touches to their role that would perhaps change it.

I really don't see how it's not laughable to dispute someones artistic integrity when they're only creating half of the art.

More like "fartistic integrity."

To what extent you could call almost all music "art" is really a matter of degree and a totally unnecessary discussion. Everything exists in it's own weird, subjective context. The only thing I think is "laughable" is that anybody spends more than half a second thinking about bullshit rock and roll garbage culture as art. In fact, the more people think about this overinflated bullshit, the funnier I think it is.

And I think I came to this revelation while talking to a Tool fan.

Leave the beard stroking to some turtleneck wearing nitwit with a liberal arts degree. Anybody who has an opinion about art in regards to stupid pop songs some asshole wrote for a pretty boy with an acoustic guitar, especially versus what some high functioning Neanderthal in a "serious" band is doing, is wasting precious brainpower on something ostensibly meaningless.

Paramore.  I'm sure they've been mentioned a million times in this thread but yeah, +1 for suckage.

I watched an episode of Talking Dead earlier this year and Hayley Williams was on there looking like a fucking Mime and she actually said that "she doesn't really wear makeup."  True story.

More like "fartistic integrity."

To what extent you could call almost all music "art" is really a matter of degree and a totally unnecessary discussion. Everything exists in it's own weird, subjective context. The only thing I think is "laughable" is that anybody spends more than half a second thinking about bullshit rock and roll garbage culture as art. In fact, the more people think about this overinflated bullshit, the funnier I think it is.

And I think I came to this revelation while talking to a Tool fan.

Leave the beard stroking to some turtleneck wearing nitwit with a liberal arts degree. Anybody who has an opinion about art in regards to stupid pop songs some asshole wrote for a pretty boy with an acoustic guitar, especially versus what some high functioning Neanderthal in a "serious" band is doing, is wasting precious brainpower on something ostensibly meaningless.

I don't even know what to say to this. I think you're making it into a much bigger deal than it is, while providing a lot of meaningless fluff. Referring to music as art is hardly exclusive to your prototypical "better than you" music douche.

If you're trolling, well I actually commend you.

A play should only ever be performed once because no other actor could add their own nuances and touches to their role that would perhaps change it.

I don't consider slightly altering something that has already been conceived to be on the same level as creating an original work. Using your example, obviously there will always be room for change in an existing work that can alter the presentation, but what they're working with has already been created for them. Plus, my argument wasn't against artists covering songs which would be more a of direct comparison to your point, it was against artists having their songs written for them. I think it's harder to compare that to actors who are expected to have their lines, and full direction given to them.

Also, I have no idea why I'm arguing with you. I know it's pointless haha.

in regards to people performing what's written for them-

when jesse lacey wrote deja entendu, did it make the rest of the band members out to be worthless, talentless musicians?

in regards to people performing what's written for them-

when jesse lacey wrote deja entendu, did it make the rest of the band members out to be worthless, talentless musicians?

To me they're musicians, but they aren't artists. The two are mutually exclusive imo when there's no creating involved. I didn't read all the replies but from what I read I don't think anyone was referring to non-artistic musicians with negative connotation. That's all thrown out the window with performing arts though, which I don't think is even arguable. I dunno what I'm even saying anymore I'll read this tomorrow sober and facepalm.

I think the assumption there too is that even if a bass player didn't right the song, they still brought something to the table to add to what the lead started.

If a bass player has his bass lines written for him too or brings nothing unique to the song (simply following the guitar the entire time) then yes, I think talentless is an appropriate title. Anyone in the world could fill his shoes after a couple hours of bass lessons and practicing.

Rise Against. Not the worst thing I've ever heard, but they definitely sound like a mediocre version of dozens of bands that played that style of music for a decade longer. I wouldn't normally knock a band on that criteria alone, but jeez. They are just not that great.

Black Dahlia Murder. All of my friends like them. I just can't get into it...at all...I saw them at Black Xmas last year and they were selling lithographs of all of their album covers for $20 a piece. Which is weird. That has nothing to do with anything.

Gaslight Anthem. Band is okay, but occasionally frustrating. I think they try to play things that are out of their range as a band. Maybe they've gotten better over the years. I haven't listened to them since American Slang, which I thought was pretty bad. I read this interview with Brian Fallon where he said they were "the last true R&B band" on that album, or something to that effect. Their own instincts as a "punk band," and his as a singer, just don't make it work. It sounds clunky and forced, like a whole album worth of that painful "swing" part on the song "Say I Won't (Recognize)." It's just frustrating because I find them an otherwise likeable band, and I guess kudos to them for trying, but sometimes they're stretching way out of their range. I'm all for "raw" recordings, but being off-time and off-key just aren't that charming in the context of their music. And I thought the R&B comment was pretentious.

Touché Amore. After hearing how great they are, I went and saw them. They didn't really do anything for me, so I guess I'm not hearing what everyone else is...