At The Drive-In - Relationship of Command Repress

trust me, you ain't missing much. they are a snorefest live now. sure the instrumentation is there, but fuck, it's like their phoning it in. they should have been like REFUSED and stayed "DEAD".

yeah but wasn't the first couple of shows right after Omar's mom died? so i can see why.

Refused, on the other hand, were amazing. Drove up from FL and saw them in Atlanta - well worth the trip.

but fearless didnt put out this album, grand royal did.

Fearless put out the re-release in 2004, no? Regardless, Fearless owned the master tracks and sold them to the band, so I did misspeak there, Fearless won't be releasing this, rather ATD-I's own label will be putting this out.

yeah but wasn't the first couple of shows right after Omar's mom died? so i can see why.Refused, on the other hand, were amazing. Drove up from FL and saw them in Atlanta - well worth the trip.
naw, i thought that too, but chicago proved my assumptions right. they just got older and don't have all that energy. Not to mention, they aren't kids anymore and don't feel the need to jump around. Which is fine i guess, but not really all that entertaining when you compare to what was prior. though cedric's banter is far more entertaining than watching them live. maybe i'm just jaded. it's like watching the RIVERBOAt GAMBLERS if they suddenly came out and had stage presence of Wilco. (though i love wilco, live, they bore the living shit out of me)

trust me, you ain't missing much. they are a snorefest live now. sure the instrumentation is there, but fuck, it's like their phoning it in. they should have been like REFUSED and stayed "DEAD".

from an interview with omar rodriguez lopez:

[...] At the Drive-In as it was is of no interest to me. I am interested in the five people in the group, because the chemistry between the people…that’s the music. What ends up on a record or on a stage is a result of that chemistry. That’s the thing. I’m interested in being around those guys. I have absolutely no interest or emotional connection to playing songs that I wrote when I was 18 to 23 or whatever. The only emotional connection I have is that I see that it makes people happy when I look out there, people who were way too young to have seen us live when we were actually around. That’s an amazing thing in and of itself, and I don’t want to sound ungrateful for the amazing situation I’m in that people care about something we did 11 years later, but I have no emotional connection to it, because the person I was then has died about three or four times since then.

When you think about the science of it, we shed our skin, we change our skin completely from top to bottom every seven years. And then you go inwards from that to what’s happening in the mind, and so many things have happened since then. I’ve played lots of these shows with At the Drive-In and the people in the front are like, “Come on! Throw your guitar! Do a backflip!” but I have no interest in entertainment, you know? "Dance, monkey, dance!" I have no interest in entertainment, I have interest in self-expression. If something is moving me then it’s going to move me, if it isn’t it isn’t, and if I’m having a bad night… I can’t feel bad about those things. No one should be made to feel bad about what they’re going through, but that’s just something that people do because of the mystification of expression.

http://www.cityartsonline.com/going-deep-omar-rodriguez-lopez

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...