$150 Audiophile Turntable: This could be interesting

Supposedly they're starting to ship the original backers orders this month, but on their site it says 'estimated' delivery of December for orders placed now.

They posted a while back about having supplier issues, but considering the original shipping time frame was May (I think) I'd be getting impatient if I had money tied up for 6+ months.

That's a good question.

In any case, I'm pretty close to grabbing a basic model. If I can get a comparable turntable for under $200 shipped, I'll take my chances. That belt constantly being subject to human hands does leave me hesitant, though.

Fear not. They are elastic bands. While it will stretch a little over time, you just replace it.

Turntables have been made like this for a very long time

What keeps the belt from stretching really easy? If you're constantly switching from 45s to LPs wouldn't the speed be affected?

It's not the changing speed that will wear out or stretch the belt. On a belt drive turntable the belt wear is on startup while the motor tries to spin that heavy platter, in the drive chain something has to give and the belt is the weakest point and that's why they stretch so if you want them to last longer give the platter a helping spin before you start the motor

It's not the changing speed that will wear out or stretch the belt. On a belt drive turntable the belt wear is on startup while the motor tries to spin that heavy platter, in the drive chain something has to give and the belt is the weakest point and that's why they stretch so if you want them to last longer give the platter a helping spin before you start the motor

Never though of this before, very interesting and good to know!

I have a belt drive turntable that has a solid brass platter that must weigh somewhere near 35 to 40lbs and in the instuctions for it recomends you do this, until then I didn't know about it but after reading the insructions it got me thinking and I now do it for all belt drive turntables.

I have had that turntable at least 7 years now and changed the belt when I got it and it's still on the same one.

Got my shipping notification for this yesterday.  I'm excited to get this, but in the time since I ordered it, I picked up a Technics SL-QD33 in great condition at a yard sale for $35, and I sort of doubt the Orbit will top that, but we'll see.

i'll buy whichever you don't want

Got my shipping notification for this yesterday.  I'm excited to get this, but in the time since I ordered it, I picked up a Technics SL-QD33 in great condition at a yard sale for $35, and I sort of doubt the Orbit will top that, but we'll see.

I'm just looking forward to a review of someone that actually owns one. I saw in an online q and A recently, that they said they sent one to Cnet for review but had no idea who would review it, or when it might be posted.

i'll buy whichever you don't want

Already promised to a friend, sorry!

I'm just looking forward to a review of someone that actually owns one. I saw in an online q and A recently, that they said they sent one to C/net for revew but had no idea who would review it, or when it might be posted.

I'll definitely post my thoughts next week.

Got mine today! Here's a pic: http://instagram.com/p/fdj3bNhpQo/

Some initial thoughts:

-Setting this up was stupidly easy.  Granted, I've never put a turntable together out of the box before, but I expected more assembly than this.  Just put the platter and slipmat on, put the belt around it, plug stuff in, and play.  I don't know for sure if the counterweight was set up perfectly out of the box or not (I'd appreciate some advice on how to tell), but it seems fine to me so far.  No skips or anything yet.

-My first impression of the sound is that it's really good.  Comparable to my Technics SL-QD33, at least, and far better than my ex-girlfriend's Crosley and the Denon DP-29 at my friends' place.  This is definitely a cut above the cheap stuff.

-Plays well on both speeds.  No weird pitch wobbling or anything so far

-It does sort of bug me that the platter doesn't stop spinning when the arm is in its clip, but I don't know if that's a standard thing or not.

-This is my first experience with a table where I've had to manually change the belt to a different part of the spool.  I don't mind it too much, but the belt feels a little fragile to my fingers.  Again, maybe that's normal.

-I wish I could actually A/B this with a Carbon to give people some better feedback on that comparison.

-I wonder how many times I can listen to the A side of this Pet Symmetry 7" on each turntable for comparison's sake before my housemates wonder what I'm doing.

-It's nice and heavy.  Doesn't feel cheap or plasticky in any way.

Disclaimer: I don't claim to have a trained ear for this stuff in any way.  

The rest of my setup, for reference:

Nad 7140 Receiver

Technics SH80-57 graphic EQ

Boston HD5 speakers

Feel free to ask any questions you have, and I'll answer them to the best of my ability.

How is the build quality of the turntable?

It feels really good to my hands.  Nice and heavy.  The spool for the belt seemed sort of loose at first, but maybe that's not a problem.  It hasn't affected the sound or anything so far.

Yah thanks! I really wish you could do a side by side with a Carbon too :P

I'm still torn!

I don't know anyone around here who has one, but if I did, then I definitely would.  I know a lot of people will be deciding between an Orbit and a Carbon.

Does it come with cables to connect to a preamp?

OK, now a really stupid question.

I'm going to get the orbit, a cheap $20 preamp, and I'm not sure about the speakers. Do the speakers I buy have to have a volume knob on it?

Go read this please!

http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/88504-beginner%E2%80%99s-guide-to-hi%E2%80%93fi/