So...what is a VC HYPE BAND?

jhulud

Hype+Machine+hypem2.jpg

(This is not any sort of attack to anyone...just a simple inquiry)

Over at the Pity Sex 12" EP thread, SeaMoney commented that the band could be filed under "VC Hype Band". This got me thinking...what exactly would constitute and define a "VC Hype Band"?

Discuss. And feel free to provide examples to support YOUR opinions and thoughts.

I don't really think there is a thing as a vc hype band. Fatwreckwiki, the no idea board, punknews, ppmb all have very narrow musical spans (feel free to insert other board for non-punk music. I don't go to a ton more).

VC is all over the place. We are famous for our pursuit of variant colors (most of us), not the type of music.

I'd consider a "hype" band to have high demand. Any record/merch that causes a fan boy to utter "I'd give my right testicle for ____________". Examples are but not limited to; Gaslight, Thrice, Touche Amore, Defeater, Joyce Manor, etc. Are these all great bands? Yes. Do they make VC trollers with deep pockets cream their pants at the site of the "$80 1st pressing /250 from the 2011 tour with the custom screen printed cover and matching uni-band with handwritten lyric sheet made on paper from the dead sea"? Yes. Should people call them hype bands solely based on the fact they are popular on the board? NO. I think it's more so the fan that cause the hype then the band. Good music is good music. Whether or not they are hyped up/marked up, depends only on the fan.

But I digress; Pity Sex is a great band with some very nice people in it. As for being a hype band...I don't see it. When their LP starts popping up for $30, $40, $75! dollars, then I'd consider it.

touche amore, la dispute, menzingers, such gold, gaslight anthem...

bands that people fucking wet themselves over whose names i could have gone the rest of my days without hearing if it werent for VC

Reading this makes me realize that my musical tastes are pretty different from most of you guys on here. I should've known that by now, lol. Except for Teenage Bottlerocket. Those guys rule. Anybody going to see them in Nashville next month? I'm considering going but I'd have to take a day off work...

Hype+Machine+hypem2.jpg

(This is not any sort of attack to anyone...just a simple inquiry)

Over at the Pity Sex 12" EP thread, SeaMoney commented that the band could be filed under "VC Hype Band". This got me thinking...what exactly would constitute and define a "VC Hype Band"?

Discuss. And feel free to provide examples to support YOUR opinions and thoughts.

Any band that can sell 1000 copies of their record in ten minutes, but can't draw 100 people to an out of town show. HYPE.

Reading this makes me realize that my musical tastes are pretty different from most of you guys on here. I should've known that by now, lol. Except for Teenage Bottlerocket. Those guys rule. Anybody going to see them in Nashville next month? I'm considering going but I'd have to take a day off work...

I'll be at there ATL show with Propagandhi and Menzingers in October! Road trip?????

Bands from the 90s and early 2000s that are getting their records reissued that people should be embarrassed to admit they still like but aren't.

As someone who didn't really listen to any music at all until I was 18, this nostalgia craze is completely lost on me. That is, until someone nuts up and finally presses "Jesus Freak" by DC Talk, or maybe "Step Up to the Microphone" by the Newsboys. #shelteredupbringing

Any band that people buy every variant of and then quit collecting records in the matter of a year.

Example:

May 2012 - WTB Last Few Pieces Of Tigers Jaw Collection

August 2012 - FS Entire Tigers Jaw Collection RARE COLOR

I'm still waiting for the saturation point, when everyone who has massive collections of one band realizes the futility of the endeavor and there is no one left to unload them on.

I always kind of assumed a "VC hype band" was a band that gains moderate notoriety on the VC board (be it through a member being in the band, releasing the record, etc.), but remains relatively unknown outside of the board.

But seeing as how every band mentioned in this thread is anything but, I guess I was wrong.

I always kind of assumed a "VC hype band" was a band that gains moderate notoriety on the VC board (be it through a member being in the band, releasing the record, etc.), but remains relatively unknown outside of the board.

This is what I always thought of what a VC Hyper Band was.

Some of the bands mentioned like Thrice and a couple of others I wouldn't categorize as hype bands simply because they had been around much much longer and already big enough fan base.

I know for me personally, when I first joined the VC boards, Gaslight Anthem started coming up a lot and I got sucked into that "hype"...I picked up anything and everything at that point...but then I guess the novelty wore off and I dumped it all on eBay and some VC members.

I (like to) think our music horizon is vass on here, that we don't know what members we have yet to chat with that lurk in the shadow of threads of those bands we personally don't choose to listen to or like. VC is like a college based on genre preference and random misfiled threads across of several sub-forums.

but a lot of bands gain hype Such Gold, Code Orange Kids, the other bands that is basically Code Orange Kids, and etc.