Tired of splatters and gimmicks.

moonbeams

Maybe I should have added that back then was when I started to buy records. Fifteen years later, that stuff is played out and lame. Give me high quality audiophile pressings over limited, tour only, etched b-side nonsense.

i agree for the most part, but you gotta know most "high quality audiophile pressings" are just really high priced invisible gimmicks. usually they're just thicker records with nicer jackets. i didn't know a gatefold made the record sound better. and you know that people will swear to death that their 180 gram $40 reissue of that boston records sounds better than the $3 one i got at the thrift store. but it doesn't. at least you can see splatter.

i agree for the most part, but you gotta know most "high quality audiophile pressings" are just really high priced invisible gimmicks. usually they're just thicker records with nicer jackets. i didn't know a gatefold made the record sound better. and you know that people will swear to death that their 180 gram $40 reissue of that boston records sounds better than the $3 one i got at the thrift store. but it doesn't. at least you can see splatter.

I know this too, but I'd still take an all around nicer product than goofy colors. Simplicity goes a long way. Plus, if you're spending $40 on a Boston reissue, you're doing it wrong. I'm talking about like the nice work that labels such as Southern Lord do. Don't get me wrong, I do still have a soft spot for all of my punk 7"s with xeroxed sleeves on paper thin black vinyl that appears to be see-thru brown because it's so shitty. Whatever.

If it sells more and helps labels fund other albums/signings then who really cares?

I've never really understood the time people take to complain about colored vinyl and the people that buy it (and the inherent variants that come with it). If you don't like it that's fine, no one is saying you have to order the super limited version or whatever. Some people like it, some don't. Like it or not it's a part of the industry, has been for awhile.

As far as "typical VC thread" comments. If you don't like topics where people talk about variants and colors, start a new topic that interests you. That's kind of, wait, no, that's exactly what discussion boards are for. I love the "No one ever talks ______ here, wah" comments. Start a thread with info and links to songs and all that good stuff and get a discussion started.

The only thing worse than people sitting around jerking it to pics of colored vinyl are the people complaining about the people sitting around jerking it to pics of colored vinyl.

That ends my generalized rant on collectors and elitists alike. It wasn't meant for anyone in particular, just observations made from reading shit on this board for awhile.

I don't see the problem with gimmicks. I like looking at a pretty record, its fun. I also like lasers & fireworks because they make my eyes smile. I think most of the people on here that consider themselves "audiophiles" only say that because they own expensive shit. Audio quality is important but you don't have to get all internet forum guy about it. Have fun you dopes. Color vinyl is just as cool as big-ass artwork & giant lyric sheets.

"SHINY THINGS IS GOOD"

The only thing worse than people sitting around jerking it to pics of colored vinyl are the people complaining about the people sitting around jerking it to pics of colored vinyl.

you so eloquently put into words what I had been thinking this entire time, thank you.

I always appreciate when a lot of care goes into the entire physical product, the quality of the paper, art, design, vinyl color. Every detail that makes the package a well thought out piece of work. If I didn't care about any of that, I'd probably just buy music digitally.

Honestly for me, this. Said this before but I buy LPs because I love the intersection of art and music the format creates. I also love the ritual of it, that is to say, sitting down and listening to something from start to finish. The sound quality is a bonus in my opinion.

According to Wikipedia, the Carbon black that's mixed with the vinyl in black records makes the record stronger and makes it opaque. Technically, clear virgin vinyl would sound better but I guess no one have such good ears to hear the difference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gramophone_record

Having not read this entire thread....

My two cents and experience is this: black, an solid colors I've had zero issues with.... Clear and color mixes had more frequent problems... I won't claim to hear the difference too much but had to send back clear copies to labels on 4 different occasions recently!!!! Trend. Idk maybe just random ba luck