VC - Who are you voting for in the presidential election?

VC - Who are you voting for next month?  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for in the upcoming presidential election?

• Barack Obama (Democrat)
    • Mitt Romney (Republican)
    • Gary Johnson (Libertarian)
    • Jill Stein (Green)
    • Virgil Goode (Constitution)
    • Write-In
    • Not Voting

The biggest state issue here in Ohio is a redistricting committee proposal, removing the power to redistrict from the controlling party's hands and making it a more level playing field by forming a committee of 4 republicans, 4 democrats and 4 independents to handle the process. (Republican-led redistricting is why Dennis Kucinich essentially lost his seat in the last election.)

I want to vote yes for it, but there are a lot of complaints as to how the issue is being worded, and that it might not do enough to stop the abuse of power, etc. etc. etc — but in my mind, at least it would be doing something. I'd rather vote for something that's gonna get us halfway there than sit on my thumbs and hope a better-worded version comes up in the next election.

Also, in Cleveland, we have a few tax levies on the docket, one for the port of Cleveland and one for education/schools. I always vote yes for those even though it makes me pay more taxes.

The biggest state issue here in Ohio is a redistricting committee proposal, removing the power to redistrict from the controlling party's hands and making it a more level playing field by forming a committee of 4 republicans, 4 democrats and 4 independents to handle the process. (Republican-led redistricting is why Dennis Kucinich essentially lost his seat in the last election.)

I want to vote yes for it, but there are a lot of complaints as to how the issue is being worded, and that it might not do enough to stop the abuse of power, etc. etc. etc — but in my mind, at least it would be doing something. I'd rather vote for something that's gonna get us halfway there than sit on my thumbs and hope a better-worded version comes up in the next election.

Also, in Cleveland, we have a few tax levies on the docket, one for the port of Cleveland and one for education/schools. I always vote yes for those even though it makes me pay more taxes.

My brother lost his job here in cleveland area due to the levy. He was a teacher.

Nate Silver's time is over and many people will be piling on unless the "comeback kid' pulls this one out. But I did see his interview with Charlie Rose the other night. The only thing that impressed me was his desire NOT to vote because he makes predictions. Seemed a little "off" most of the interview and takes him forever to merge the baseball analogy with predicting elections.

here's hoping that nate silver (a fellow bayesian) is right!

http://fivethirtyeig...gs.nytimes.com/

Nate Silver's time is over and many people will be piling on unless the "comeback kid' pulls this one out. But I did see his interview with Charlie Rose the other night. The only thing that impressed me was his desire NOT to vote because he makes predictions. Seemed a little "off" most of the interview and takes him forever to merge the baseball analogy with predicting elections.

I've watched him on the daily show and the colbert report, and my impression of him is that he's more comfortable being behind the scenes (after all, he originally wrote his blog under a fake name). this is his first tight presidential election with expectations, so I understand if he'd be feeling pressure. and I think his time will soon be over, but only because he'll probably step down from his fivethirtyeight.com post after this election.

Do you guys think this race is really as close as the media is making it out to be?

No, I don't but I have a little bit of naive belief that the world has some sense in it....so in my head I want to see a landslide victory for Obama, but deep down it's probably going to be a close one.