Tool Vinyl BUYING GUIDE (Original/Boots, etc.)

thanks Topher :) The sleeve art, as has been explained, looks pretty much exactly the same as the OG. You mentioned the labels; does yours have the OG art on those too?

Yes, but it's faint. I've never seen the OG labels in person, but I'm told they're pretty faint as well. Also, like the OG, it doesn't say which side is which, but it's written in the deadwax, if you can get it in the right light.

So, yeah, this is about as close to an original copy you can get without spending $300.

Yes, but it's faint. I've never seen the OG labels in person, but I'm told they're pretty faint as well. Also, like the OG, it doesn't say which side is which, but it's written in the deadwax, if you can get it in the right light.

So, yeah, this is about as close to an original copy you can get without spending $300.

If by "close" you mean having a CD ripped onto vinyl. Which is, to my best assessment, pointless. I mean no disrespect, but I hope you all are aware that is how these are being produced. And who knows what production methods are being employed at the pressing plant.

You know, I've been following this thread for awhile and I am astonished anyone is willing to pay more than $5 for these "bootleg" copies. These are, at best, novelty items. 

If by "close" you mean having a CD ripped onto vinyl. Which is, to my best assessment, pointless. I mean no disrespect, but I hope you all are aware that is how these are being produced. And who knows what production methods are being employed at the pressing plant.

You know, I've been following this thread for awhile and I am astonished anyone is willing to pay more than $5 for these "bootleg" copies. These are, at best, novelty items. 

wait, you mean these things are bootlegs!?!?!  :o  :o  :o

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, I have stumbled into a copy of Aenima on vinyl, but I am unsure which I have.  The record is still sealed, so I would hate to cut it open just to figure it out, my guess is an original 2nd pressing.  Here is the info I have and then pictures.

Bar Code: 6 1422-31087-1 1

Backside Bottom: 72445-11087-1

Reads: "The BMG and Zoo Entertainment logos are trademarks of BMG Music • ? © 1996 BMG Music • All Rights Reserved • Manufactured and Distributed by BMG Entertainment, New York, NY • Printed in U.S.A. • 72445-11087-1"

Go Here for all Pictures/Full Size: http://ws6zep89.picturepush.com/album/332979/p-Ebay.html

The spine says Zoo at the "top" at about 3/4" long and then Tool Aenima in the center at about 1.5" long, I can't seem to find a catalog number on the spine and I have very good vision.  Also there are no PA stickers on the album (at least not anymore, if there ever was).

I'm going to sell it, but I want to know what I have before asking someone cash for it.  I'd hate to either A. have a bootleg and have someone pay for a 2nd pressing original or B. have a 2nd pressing and only get paid for a bootleg.

Help me figure out what this is without opening it!

Cover.jpg

Back-Side-2.jpg

Album-Info-1.jpg

Album-Spine.jpg

Yea the seal location is the one thing that made me figure it was a bootleg, so then what is the value?

Conservatively, I'd say $40, but if you put it up on eBay, I've seen some reach $60-$70.

Or you could decide to hang on to it, contrary to popular belief, these bootlegs aren't horrible.

Thanks for the info and help on figuring this out.  So most likely this has the Orange/Goldish records in it?

Honestly I'm not a huge Tool fan and I literally came across this for nothing, not even a penny was spent, also my analog rig is nowhere near what my digital one is.

I'll probably end up selling it, but I'm glad to know what I have so neither I nor the buyer gets screwed.

Last question, the value of a bootleg is not going to go up with time, correct?

Thanks again guys.

Thanks for the info and help on figuring this out.  So most likely this has the Orange/Goldish records in it?

Yeah. Orange, Trans. Gold, and Marbled Yellow are the most common colors on this one.

Last question, the value of a bootleg is not going to go up with time, correct?

Probably not. Especially if there's an official repress (*fingers crossed*) in the near future.

The tool news letter used to be somewhat amusing. Now it's just a long boring bunch of nonsense that pretty much says "fuck you" to their fans.

One of my favorite bands of all time by the way.

A lot of the fans need a good "Fuck you" every once in a while.

I talked to a guy wearing a Tool shirt one time who was convinced that listening to Tool before he went to sleep would unlock unconscious thoughts that would expand his brainpower ten-fold.

I think he works at Wendy's now...

I just pulled the trigger and bought Aenima off Discogs on transparent orange vinyl. Does anyone have this pressing? And if so, does it sound decent at least? It has grey center labels with some kind of design but I can't tell what it is... I'm hoping it sounds good cuz I've been dying to grab Aenima on wax even if it is a bootleg.

I just pulled the trigger and bought Aenima off Discogs on transparent orange vinyl. Does anyone have this pressing? And if so, does it sound decent at least? It has grey center labels with some kind of design but I can't tell what it is... I'm hoping it sounds good cuz I've been dying to grab Aenima on wax even if it is a bootleg.

there are several photos of this very pressing in this thread. it sounds really good for what it is. i was not disappointed with my copy of it.