PO :: Wonder Years - The Upsides (DELUXE) 2LP

tokimedo

I hope more than anything that if Balance & Composure put out new music, it isn't through No Sleep. What a mess this label has become, I swear.

It will not. The last two releases they had left in 2016 were Somos and Moose Blood and they shipped both of them to Hopeless.

Not Wonder Years related, but I saw on eBay that Chris has a bunch of stuff for sale and in the descriptions it mentions that he moved into a smaller place and doesn't have room for 80-90% of his record collection. Yikes.

Thought I was on Instagram that he was having a home built from scratch. Wondering if that was cancelled.

Not Wonder Years related, but I saw on eBay that Chris has a bunch of stuff for sale and in the descriptions it mentions that he moved into a smaller place and doesn't have room for 80-90% of his record collection. Yikes.

does he have a personal account? something like "ilovepugs"?

FYI (everyone), the nosleeprecords ebay account has been deactivated. as if we didn't already have reasons to believe the label was all but kaput.

Here comes my completely uninformed super best guess as to what happened with No Sleep Records. I wonder if Hopeless Records* invested in No Sleep. It was this time last year that I started noticing the pattern of an EP/7" preceding an album release. This is something MCA made Drive-Thru do. The sales of the EP/7" determined how much money MCA was willing to spend on the album release. Meanwhile Drive-Thru was on the hook for the cost of the EP. 

So Hopeless gives Chris a big advance. Meanwhile dude starts having a house built in Southern California. It's not cheap to rent an apartment let alone have a home built from scratch in Southern California. He also buys a brand new Range Rover. Meanwhile, his gambles on Somos, Run Forever, Ghost Key, etc are not paying off. These records were definitely not selling at the level of La Dispute, Moose Blood, or even Drug Church. Now honestly I have no clue as to what happens after this. Hopeless stops funding future releases and Chris spent the advance? Now there's nothing left to run the label as expected? I wish the dude best of luck and hopefully the catalog can fund some future releases. It also must be a bummer that this happened on the 10th anniversary of the label. But they definitely seem done. 

*Or anyone or anything but it is curious that all the bands are shifting to Hopeless post No Sleep.