Recently Viewing

I also hate Chuck Palanhuck as an author.

I'm a monster

I will admit that his "edginess" wears, but he does touch on some really transgressive and interesting topics in his writing.

Though everyone in all of his novels seem to have the same voice.  I quit reading his stuff once Tell All and Pygmy came out.  Though I am looking into getting Make Something Up: Stories You Can't Unread, because I've heard it goes back to his roots.

I really liked his earlier works.  Survivor, Choke, Invisible Monsters, Haunted, and Rant were all pretty damn good.

Here's a list for Crosely Lover

Classics (shit I feel everyone should have seen by now, but you're 15 so I guess it's understandable):

Back to the Future

Jurassic Park

Die Hard

Ghostbusters

Robocop

Silence of the Lambs

The Shining

Blade Runner (Director's Cut)

Alien

Aliens

There Will Be Blood

Halloween

The Thing

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Dumb and Dumber

Evil Dead 2

Clerks

Night of the Living Dead

Dawn of the Dead (OG and remake)

Day of the Dead

Heathers/Clueless/Mean Girls (Seriously, this is a dope triple feature if you've got the time)

Boogie Nights

Magnolia

Seven

Psycho

The Terminator

Terminator 2: Judgement Day

Predator

Dr Strange Love or How I Stopped Worrying and Learned to Love the Bomb

Taxi Driver

2001: A Space Odyssey

Stand by Me

Jaws

That's a pretty varied basic list to start with, I left off a few big ones because I have a few different lists.

The Coen Bros. If you're interested in film at all you need to familiarize yourself with the Coens. I await a new Coen film like a kid waits for Christmas. They're master's of their craft and have a varied filmography. All of their films are worth watching (I haven't seen Ladykillers though...afraid I might actually dislike it) but here's what I feel is a sampling of their best:

No Country for Old Men

A Serious Man

Fargo

Burn After Reading

The Big Lebowski

Barton Fink

Blood Simple

Darron Aronofsky is another current filmmaker whose work I always giddily anticipate. He's got some misses (Noah) but these are essential:

The Fountain

Requiem for a Dream

Black Swan

Wes Anderson's filmography is perfect, watch them all, but start with:

The Royal Tennenbaums

Rushmore

Darjeeling Limited

Interested in foreign film? Heres a small primer on older arthouse stuff, by no means definitive:

Rashomon

The Seventh Seal

Elevator to the Gallows

A Man Escaped

Last Year at Marienbad

Solaris

David Lynch is the master of atmospheric dread and weirdness. Watch Eraserhead. Just watch Eraserhead. It's 100% essential if you're interested in film. It's amazing and terrifying. Some of the best sound design you'll ever hear. As for the rest of his filmography, its all worth at least one viewing but I'll be honest and admit I never finished Inland Empire.

Watch these when you're a little older because they're totally fucked:

Happiness

Dogtooth

Funny Games (warning: this movie aggressively hates you)

Only God Forgives

Here's a misc. list of shit I'm thinking of off the top of my head:

Moon

Only Lovers Left Alive

Dead Man

Drive

Donnie Darko/Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (15 is pretty much the perfect time to watch these, I'm not crazy about them 13 years later though)

28 Days Later

I'm missing a lot, especially newer stuff, and you'll probably hate some of these, but I feel like this a good starting point. As you get more into film there's a SHIT LOAD of weirder and/or more obscure stuff. I can't even begin to touch on horror and exploitation stuff.

If you watch it with a different perspective, you might appreciate it more.

The thing is, all that hypermasculinity is actually a thinly veiled guise for homosexuality. Watch it with this in mind and you'll notice a huge subtext of homoeroticism that goes throughout. I find it hilarious that a lot of "dudebros" worship that movie without even realizing this.

Some examples:

When the narrator meets Tyler on the plane (in the book it was actually on a nude beach) he asks him "as I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?" This establishes the "power dynamic" in between them from their initial encounter.

When the narrator wants to "destroy something beautiful" when he notices Angelface is getting preferential treatment from Tyler.

And the whole idea of a secret club where a bunch of dudes get together in secret and beat the fuck out of each other is just a sybolic representation of underground gay sex.

Chuck Palahniuk is gay and has admitted that this "bro bible" was his attempt to push the limits of conveying homoerotic undertones without dudebros even noticing. I like it even more because of that. :lol:

Mind blown

great list, love how you included 28 days later and the remake of dawn of the dead (easily one of the best remakes ever)...if I could add one, Rocky Horror Picture Show, its just brilliant.

I'm not really one to watch movies (only seen some of that list) but isn't RHPS supposed to be one of the worst movies of all time? Again, I can't say I've seen it, but I always thought it was a The Room situation.

I'm not really one to watch movies (only seen some of that list) but isn't RHPS supposed to be one of the worst movies of all time? Again, I can't say I've seen it, but I always thought it was a The Room situation.

I'm not a huge fan of RHPS, but just because something has a cult following definitely doesn't mean it's bad. The Room is unwatchable, I certainly wouldn't compare it to that.

I'm not a huge fan of RHPS, but just because something has a cult following definitely doesn't mean it's bad. The Room is unwatchable, I certainly wouldn't compare it to that.

I don't mean based on the cult following. I just mean that I know it was critically panned, but it also has a cult following.

The Room is unwatchable, I certainly wouldn't compare it to that.

Ehhh, I wouldn't go that far. I've seen it three times. Then again, I'm a glutton for punishment.

And Crosley Lover, if you ever need some horror recommendations (if you're into that stuff), pop into the "Official Horror Fan Topic." I, along with other people will gladly give you a varied list :). http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/84323-the-official-horror-fan-topic/?fromsearch=1