What a shitty fucking day. My AirPort express is dead now too. I must have had a power surge. I also think the warped records are caused by my mail carrier leaving them between my doors. Had some more records show up warped today.

I also think the warped records are caused by my mail carrier leaving them between my doors. Had some more records show up warped today.

This is why I always choose the option to have them left at my door when available since I live in an enclosed apartment building. Media mail stuff still suffers the treatment of being left in an all metal parcel locker at the mail boxes, so I try my best to check the mail as soon as it comes each day. Sorry you're having this kind of trouble, nothing sucks like paying good money and waiting only to receive damaged goods especially when it's not the merchant's fault

This is why I always choose the option to have them left at my door when available since I live in an enclosed apartment building. Media mail stuff still suffers the treatment of being left in an all metal parcel locker at the mail boxes, so I try my best to check the mail as soon as it comes each day. Sorry you're having this kind of trouble, nothing sucks like paying good money and waiting only to receive damaged goods especially when it's not the merchant's fault

Yeah, I must have a new carrier, since the prior one took good care to place them on the edge of my ail box to keep them out of sunlight. I just locked my screen door so next time they can't place it between and the heat get trapped in between. It sucks since my front stoop is in direct sunlight, so I'm not sure the best option. I've not a had a problem in the 3 years I've lived here before the last few packages.

Time to order a record clamp and see if it can make the slightly warped ones play ok, which they do but the outer few grooves. That Whirr/Nothing is beyond fucked though, must have been warped already.

Yeah, I must have a new carrier, since the prior one took good care to place them on the edge of my ail box to keep them out of sunlight. I just locked my screen door so next time they can't place it between and the heat get trapped in between. It sucks since my front stoop is in direct sunlight, so I'm not sure the best option. I've not a had a problem in the 3 years I've lived here before the last few packages.

Time to order a record clamp and see if it can make the slightly warped ones play ok, which they do but the outer few grooves. That Whirr/Nothing is beyond fucked though, must have been warped already.

Possibly a new carrier. We have a substitute sometimes, but he's actually more caring than my regular lady lol. I have looked at the clamp idea, but have never owned one or known anyone who has one. Is it really worth the cost for one like the Michell screw on type? Is the sonic difference really noticeable?

They can be. I'm looking at the AT618 Disc Stabilizer Record Weight, since it matches my table. I'll need to order a new mat though, since mine has dots on it to keep the record off the platter more. The dots will just make the record bend under the weight of them.

They can be. I'm looking at the AT618 Disc Stabilizer Record Weight, since it matches my table. I'll need to order a new mat though, since mine has dots on it to keep the record off the platter more. The dots will just make the record bend under the weight of them.

I've been curious for a while now but with the cost of them I've been hesitant to invest in something when I know nothing of it's merits other than what I've read online. Does it matter much if you have a Direct Drive or Belt Driven concerning the clamps/weights? Is it better for one or both?

I've been curious for a while now but with the cost of them I've been hesitant to invest in something when I know nothing of it's merits other than what I've read online. Does it matter much if you have a Direct Drive or Belt Driven concerning the clamps/weights? Is it better for one or both?

It depends on the table. Direct Drive's usually have more torque, so it shouldn't be a problem, but I know some belt drives might have issues with heavier ones. A lot of the more expensive tables come with them. The Mitchell seems light enough that is shouldn't cause much of a problem.

Why do people pay so much for record clamp/weights? Isn't it just a big piece of metal?

Essentially, but they are usually engineered to be the perfect size and weight for record/turntables. If you want to go the cheap route, I've seen people just drill a hole in a hockey puck and use it as a stabilizer.

It depends on the table. Direct Drive's usually have more torque, so it shouldn't be a problem, but I know some belt drives might have issues with heavier ones. A lot of the more expensive tables come with them. The Mitchell seems light enough that is shouldn't cause much of a problem.

Essentially, but they are usually engineered to be the perfect size and weight for record/turntables. If you want to go the cheap route, I've seen people just drill a hole in a hockey puck and use it as a stabilizer.

One of my local shop sells a metal one with their logo on it for $8

Thanks for the info. I have a late 70's Technics that's a direct drive so I wasn't sure if it would be good for that or not. Guess I will take the chance then, can only mean possibly better sound right? 

Those are slick, but I'm going to pay a little more to get a machined metal one so it'll match my whole set up.

Finally fixed my airport express. It was not being seen by the AirPort Utility at all, so I had to hold down the reset button while I configured it, then reset it again and it finally worked. Listening to digital music again. Now to just worry about the record clamp shit.

Those are slick, but I'm going to pay a little more to get a machined metal one so it'll match my whole set up.

Machined metal ones are suck fucking slick, but can get quite expensive. I'm just trying to make my set-up work on the cheap until I upgrade.

I've heard a lot of good things about leather mats, but it seems like leather would scratch records. Anyone have one?

Would it be any good?

For $8 might be worth a shot. Do you know the weight of it, how big it is? It should cover pretty much the whole center label.

Edit: I'm partially blaming the label on this last batch of warped records. They were packed in mailer meant for 5-7 lps, when it was only 2. They were super lose in the mailer.

Damn right! (I love boat shoes, and sometimes I like to dress myself up like a fancy captain.)

Perfect example - 

I have an alley behind my building.  Cuts all the way through the block as it should.  It is not a driveway.  

There is a house w 3 apts (at least) just south of said alley.

There are 4 cars parked in the alley/non-driveway right now.  I watched one of them carry his 12 pack in.  

It is an alley.  (GET OFF MY LAWN)

Watching some review videos on youtube for the JA Michell clamp, might go with that instead, it looks like it works really well.

Yea I favor that one over a weight because of what I've seen online regarding it's ability to flatten out a warp. Not a terrible price either compared to some of those metal weights for sure.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic