The Mondo Records Thread - You think limited? Will sell fast?

Is this a great soundtrack? I love the movie a lot but is worth 77?

Only reason this will sell out in a heartbeat is b/c Mondo's name is attached to it. Just like any and every print they produce.

I'm not defending the price point (though I did just buy it).

This is a must have for me because of the music.  I am really into ambient, noise, found sound, etc, and this soundtrack is top notch if you're into that sort of thing.  I mean, I don't collect Mondo at all, all I have other than Looper is Drive.

I'm not defending the price point (though I did just buy it).

This is a must have for me because of the music.  I am really into ambient, noise, found sound, etc, and this soundtrack is top notch if you're into that sort of thing.  I mean, I don't collect Mondo at all, all I have other than Looper is Drive.

Have you heard the Utopia (BBC) soundtrack? It's kind of like that. It's really awesome. 

LOL at people who will pay $90 for a print but throw a fucking temper tantrum over the idea of a $70 record.

Mondo prints are professionally screen-printed, signed and numbered by the artist, and typically have runs in the low hundreds. They usually sell most 24x36 prints for $60. 18x24 for $45. Not to mention the fact that alot of those prints see their value triple on the aftermarket. 

Vinyl on the other hand (especially black wax) is mass-produced by machines and have runs in the thousands. Sure, the burlap sacks on Looper required human involvement, but likely by factory workers making much less pay than a screen printer.

There's really just no logical way to compare the two...

Two things.

One: From holding Looper in my hands since Saturday at MondoCon, I can say that the burlap sack is crazy heavy and really really made well. It isn't some piece of junk thrown on there to make the price jump to $70. It is a little hard to get the gatefold jacket in and out of but it's pretty sweet. I do feel that they could have done something really cool with a variant here but they didn't. That said, the price is rather high and I really just bought it because I was at the con and it was a cool thing to be at and buying stuff at. I was glad to be apart of the first one.

Second: MondoCon was a lot of fun but you could definitely tell that it was their first rodeo. I would see a lot of employees scrambling around trying to get stuff figured out here and there. We got there at 9:50 Saturday morning and there was probably 300-400 people in line already. Once we were inside we went straight to the Mondo tent which was back outside which housed all the exclusive vinyl and prints that they had for the event. We were lucky enough to get in line about 15 minutes before the capped it and stopped letting people in line to wait. Once we were in line it was another 4 hours before we got to the front to get what we wanted. Prices were so jacked it wasn't even funny. They had a ton of prints for sale too. I got a Carnage poster for $55 and it was one of the cheapest prints they had. I saw a few people with almost every print and record available. They had to have dropped at least $3,000 on all of it. Hearing certain people in line talking about prints and collectibles was pretty funny though. It made the wait a little easier. Once we got all of our stuff we took it back to my truck and sat in the air conditioning for awhile and then went to the food trucks which were extremely disappointing. It was like 100 degrees with a ton of humidity so it was very sweaty and stinky the whole time. We went inside and checked out all the booths and got to meet a lot of the artists. Alex Pardee was super super nice and talked to us for quit awhile. The owner of Deathwaltz was even cooler and we talked records for almost 20 minutes. He said what we basically know about the merge already and that he is still fully committed to Deathwaltz but wants to make Mondo something really really special. He seemed excited to say the least. All in all MondoCon was cool but I probably wasted more money that what it was worth. If I have the opportunity to go again, I'd probably pass and use the money on something a little more tangible.

Have you SEEN the price of burlap lately?! This is actually a steal.

Just a thought. Would it make the price more palatable if the burlap sacks were actual burlap sacks from actual loopers that had their loops closed? The world may never know...

I don't care if you make a garbage covered version and sell it for 5,000. There might be a market for that. I'm not complaining so much about the record (The markup is pretty high but to each their own) but at the lack of availability of a standard 25 dollar version. They've done it for every record so far and it seems a waste that they are only offering the high profile one. Mondo can certainly do whatever the fuck they want I'm just saying that if this becomes a trend they will price themselves out of the market very quickly.