CONFESSIONS

I recently started using my school's services, there are probably slight differences between each place, but you can get group therapy or individual counseling session from a psychiatrist - all centered on your individual needs. All for free! of course, the only downside is that scheduling appointments can be a bit difficult, especially if you go to a large school, but really, it's worth it. Don't be afraid to  make the call!

100% true.  the therapist i see nowadays, when in need, is amazing.  in college, i was actually seeing a grad student, and i as TOTALLY skeptical before i went in.  she turned out to be super helpful and very pleasant.  both have really made me more aware of mental health and how important it is to take care of that as much as your body.

I've been too scared to really tell anyone or get treated for my depression and every year I end up in the same situation, close to failing out of school and completely helpless. I know I have to change things, but I feel like it's not even worth it anymore. I'm just so fucking ashamed.

I used to deal with depression something furious. But someone once told me, 'happiness is a choice.' think about it.

I know it is, and I've been trying. It's just hard to go seek help again when you've talked to a psychologist before and still felt completely helpless. A couple of months ago I really thought this was it and that maybe I shouldn't be here anymore. I'm still here and for a little bit I thought I had things together.

I know it is, and I've been trying. It's just hard to go seek help again when you've talked to a psychologist before and still felt completely helpless. A couple of months ago I really thought this was it and that maybe I shouldn't be here anymore. I'm still here and for a little bit I thought I had things together.

the first one isn't always the right one.  when i was a kid, my parents made me see someone when they were having some issues, and the dude was a total boner.  i was young, and i still remember this jerkoff telling me we could go to the park and play basketball during our sessions.  i thought i was over it until i got to a place where i wasn't able to organize myself enough to feel like i was making any progress in life.  then i found someone to help.  it's really ok to tell a shrink that they're not for you but you'd like to continue therapy.  most of the time they'll refer you to someone else.

We need a mental health thread. I'm guessing 6/10 of us have some type of illness.

High possibility.

even if not an illness, getting mental health help is good for you.  i think the whole world would be a much friendlier and accepting place if people would help themselves a bit and make sure their head is screwed on right.  it makes such a HUGE difference.

But I feel like there are so many things that stop people from doing that. I've gotten no support from family or friends about this and they all just think it's nothing or I'm being fucking dramatic. It just makes you feel stupid. I know in the end that I have to do this for me, but that doesn't lessen the stigma or make me feel less alone.

My mom told me mine was a joke. That I didn't need therapy or medication.

Then after I shoved a letter opener thru my wrist and out the other side she has been my biggest supporter.

You'll get support here. You're not alone.

That sucks it had to come to that for her to realize it wasn't a joke though.

Thanks, guys.

That sucks it had to come to that for her to realize it wasn't a joke though.

Thanks, guys.

yea, i guess i've been experiencing mental health goings on for most of my life, so i don't really associate much of a stigma to it.  in fact, i will much sooner attach a stigma to someone who puts down mental health services as weakness... they're typically people that need it the most.

it's not a joke, and you deserve happiness just like everyone else.  people don't realize that clinical depression is chemical... although you can do little things to make yourself feel better in the moment, it's not going to fix itself.  there are a lot of challenges in treating depression and other mental conditions, but there are a lot of capable people that work to find the right treatment for you.  there's no reason to feel silly.  in fact, as i get older, i'm finding out that more and more of my friends have been in therapy for a long time.  just because i've never been shy about talking about mine doesn't mean the same for them.  you'd be surprised :)

In a renewed effort to direct again and possibly branch out, I gave a preliminary pitch to a major and got a great reception. I've been promised a formal pitch session in six months since I need that long to develop the treatment. No matter what my creative juices are pumping. I so want to veer back into directing fully.

i talked to a really nice girl for a while on saturday.  asked her out for a drink next weekend.  i'll keep my fingers crossed.

I met my girlfriend of 2 years online. We live together and have two dogs. 

Stay positive, in my opinion its the most practical way to meet someone of substance. You wouldn't stand on the side of the street hoping a car drives by with a "FOR SALE" sign if you were looking for a new ride right? You'd research, compare, and test drive before you bought it. A relationship carries a whole lot more weight than an auto purchase, so you're doing it right in my opinion (I've used this analogy 5000 times). 

Good luck e-dater. 

In a renewed effort to direct again and possibly branch out, I gave a preliminary pitch to a major and got a great reception. I've been promised a formal pitch session in six months since I need that long to develop the treatment. No matter what my creative juices are pumping. I so want to veer back into directing fully.

That's awesome!

I met my girlfriend of 2 years online. We live together and have two dogs. 

Stay positive, in my opinion its the most practical way to meet someone of substance. You wouldn't stand on the side of the street hoping a car drives by with a "FOR SALE" sign if you were looking for a new ride right? You'd research, compare, and test drive before you bought it. A relationship carries a whole lot more weight than an auto purchase, so you're doing it right in my opinion (I've used this analogy 5000 times). 

Good luck e-dater. 

thanks for the confidence, man.  what service did you use, if you don't mind my asking?

thanks for the confidence, man.  what service did you use, if you don't mind my asking?

I've used several; match, okcupid, eharmony, and plenty of fish. I was pretty eager to get involved in my own dating life when I first moved to LA from NJ. Oddly enough, I had the most success on the free sites. Plenty of fish is where I met my girl. 

I would suggest being very active on them and not get down on yourself if you don't get responses or if you have shitty dates. But put an effort into everything you say. My girlfriend's sister is an active e-dater as well, and the effort on a first message matters more than anything she claims.

I would say I met 8-10 people online, and at least 6 of them were people I went on multiple dates with. So I'm a big advocate of the process as long as you can handle some rejection.