Tool - Opiate 21st aniv. re-issue.

I wouldn't even consider buying this release.  Unless goodies include an audiophile (not loud/radio) remastered 24-bit usb drive of their entire catalog.  And I want everything...  Demos too.  Or alternatively a bluray with the same content plus a concert archive in HD,  all of the videos done in HD a la Salival, and a high-res version of "Jerk-off" from that Australian Undertow CD (and all the bootlegs, Sober single, etc).

Velvet box, embroidered, something creative with the usb or bluray itself and unlimited pressing.

HD animations of all the album covers in at least 1080p.

I think the $150 price tag is for the goofy "Tool Army" versions. They're autographed and have a chance at winning some extra crap if it has the seal of Xanax. Hopefully the normal pre-sale is a hell of a lot cheaper (kinda doubting it though). 

Yeah, why hasn't this been said more? I recall when the Lateralus 2xLP came out for the first time, they made autographed copies available only to Tool Army members. Didn't they charge way extra for those too? I'm not a member, so I could easily be mis-remembering this.

Wait a minute. $150 for a cd limited to 5000? You might be Tool, but that's a cash-grab. Was on the fence to get one (before the price tag), but now I feel better. No fence. Money saved for something else as this price is ridiculous.

This band has been phoning it in for almost two decades knowing their fan base will buy whatever "limited" merch they put out there. They are a goddamn joke. $150 for a cd? They should come with a little note that says "Congratulations, you've just been fucked by Tool. LOLS." I rarely say that anyone is stupid for buying something, but anyone buying this needs to re-evaluate their spending habits.

The signed Lateralus for TA were $100 a pop. And sold out quickly too.

As for this Opiate CD, I can understand why & how people are pissed at the price tag and the general practices from the band as of late. For me it started with the overpricing of the tour prints this last time around. Not to mention the prices on signed drumheads and forget it if you wanted one of the prints to have been doodled and drawn on by Adam.

If I have read correctly from all that they have announced, my understanding is that all 5,000 copies being sold are signed and will be that $149.99 price. Highway robbery. Yes. But each person can do with their money what they want at the end of the day. I don't care if you think I'm stupid for having dropped that on this, I'm not losing sleep over it. We all have surely overpaid for something "stupid" at one point or another. It seems that our great message board and openness of the internet allows us to be more public about our so-called acts of stupidity in purchasing.

Yeah, it's the truth.  I once paid $75 for the (hed) P.E. cd.  Given it was their self-produced debut, Church of Realities.  I've also paid that much for the 1/18th scale 2-direction R/C car from the 90s Viper tv show.  

In the 90s I also paid 32 bucks for a KTS Gin Blossoms live CD, which is like $500 dollars to me today as I was 13 at the time.  (totally worth it btw, a few tracks that didn't make it to the studio were on there and rocked hard).  Finally in 2002 the reissue/remaster (crap remaster btw) has a few of those tracks.

I paid a friend and fishing guide $150 (heavily discounted) for 6 hrs of speckled trout fishing on his boat about 10 years ago. Wouldn't trade that day for the world, and the $15 / fish I caught/kept/ate are long gone.  Memories forever. Just like $ spent going to shows.

That being said, reading this thread has made feel better about the $75-100 vinyl (heh) I've bought in the past 6 months, some /4 to /500.

Opiate is my least favorite of Tool, bought a used CD off ebay about the same time I paid my friend to show me his secret fishing holes 2003-2004, and after 2 listens I put in the shredder (no joke).  Lateralus is my favorite of theirs, and probably still a top 20 favorite album of all time, but I wouldn't pay $150 for a signed CD of even Lateralus (unless I could immediately flip it for 10x - jeje).  To each his own, like jhulud said above.

I've been to several APC and Tool shows within the last 5-7 years and each time I'm horrified at the prices of merch etc. Wine tasting with Maynard? Please. I love both bands and will always look forward to new albums but give your fans a break.

APC a few summers ago was a good show.

Last time I saw Tool in phoenix with a friend they came on at like 8pm and played for 75 mins and was over. It was weird. They continue to tour every two years playing the same old boring setlist with no new material. Fans get excited when they throw in a "rare" one and try and justify this band these days. Yes they put out some great records but its all a money grab now.

They have released 4 lps in 20 years. Not exactly coming up with new ideas. Perfect circle hasnt released anything in 10 years.

Puscifier is total garbage.