Start a new collective?

107 members have voted

1. 1. should we start the collective back up?

• yes
    • no

Honestly I think it could be done a lot better this time around. We see the mistakes that were made the first time, and can really improve on it. I think if we have multiple people in charge that we trust, rather than just one guy it could avoid a lot of the pit falls of the last one.

Maybe explain what it is for newer people?

I wasn't a part of the first one, but I believe a bunch of people chipped in $60 money and were guaranteed 4 records. Basically it was a kickstarter for a label where the community picked what was pressed. 

You gotta have a decent mix of skillsets and people. Eventually the labor of love will burn people out, so if the absence of one member breaks it, it wasn't viable to begin with. I wasn't here the first time but it seems like it ended about as poorly as it could, so I guess you guys can only go up.

I'd avoid any of that subscription, lifetime, mumbo jumbo. That just ain't fundamentally sound. I don't have the time to do anything but let the other people involved down but I'd love to see it happen. 

If you want this to even remotely work, I suggest you decide what to press and how much it will cost before asking for money. Maybe even do one release at a time rather than take a ton of money and sit on it while you decide between reissuing Finch or Fall Out Boy or whatever nonsense.

I think we can find a better way to do it than the old method.

I do not think $60 for 4 records is good because I'm not going to pay $60 if I only like two of the records, and I feel that if voting were open to everyone this would happen.  If packages were limited to two records, and voting decided not only what records, but which records were bundled together, it could ensure better results.

My thoughts on record choosing // moving forward process:

1.  compile list of potential records over the course of a month

2.  run tiered voting - say there are 20 options.  In the first round, allow to choose up to 10 of them, then limit to five, then 2, then 1 with no double

Start with just one record, to make sure it works.  Instead of sending $ to a person, establish some sort of LLC or business with its own bank account ( I don't know if this happened last time, I joined near its falling apart ). It's important to have multiple trusted people in charge of the money.  The people who are in charge should not be paid and should be doing it for their love of VC.  ( maybe they get a test press, or choice? to show our support ).  I feel like many people would like to be in charge.

just thoughts!