Afford all the new records you want

I'm like several others: a chunk of each paycheck goes into a separate account specifically for records.

Additionally, I don't smoke or drink at all, and would prefer to buy records over going to the movies and such. As such, my % of each check is pretty lofty, because that is my "fun" priority.

i apportion X% of each paycheck (i do 2%, but i get paid once a month) to vinyl purchases, which i carry over from month to month. i can go over budget, but if i do, i don't buy anything until i get paid again or i sell off some other records to get back into the black. it also keeps my collection from spiraling unnecessarily out of control. not a very scientific method -- just takes discipline.

Just quit buying stuff that's hyped. Unless it's a band you already know you like, don't PO a rare variant of an overly hyped band you just wanna check out. You'll see PO: The Wonder Years - 'yadda yadda young/old local street name van dudes' threads pop up several times a year with buckets of replies. Doesn't mean those albums are good (for you).

Also try selling/trading albums you don't need. Chances are you can live without an album you haven't spun since you first initially opened it.

I noticed that when I finally alphabetized all my records this year by band names (and related side projects), I finally realized how many duplicate (same record but different pressing) and unnecessary records I have (records that I have never listened). And because of that I have probably cut down my spending by 50%. I even sold 100 records straight after I re-organized my collection. I have never sold anything since I started collecting (13 years ago), so thats saying something.

Now every time I want to buy something I think of where it would fit in my collection and that helps a lot to make the decision whether I actually "need" that record.

Very important is to get decent shelves also, if most of your stuff is in random crates, thats probably not going to help to keep you grounded and will just make you hoard stuff.

I have about 900 records right now.

After I pay my bills, put a nice chunk of my pay check in my savings account I'll spend the majority of my pocket money on records. In the past I would always buy several variants of a release but I've cut that down to just buying multiple copies of bands that I really, really like. If I buy only one variant and it turns out that release really blows me away I'll then try to order the other variants or seek them out on ebay or discogs.

I'm not as crazy as most of the people on these boards, but for me I always look at the value. I love Death Cab, but I can't justify spending $250 on a box set. I also have no reason to purchase a 7" of a song I already own on an LP. I think you'll realize that you'll be just fine if you don't purchase certain records - although in the moment you may feel that you NEED to own it. There's very few records I look back and regret not purchasing. On the other hand, there's a lot of records in my collection that don't receive much play. Just try to be rational...

First cut back on 7"s, because the price per song ratio is irrational (unless the songs are exclusive to that release of course). Then decide not to buy records that weren't mastered properly for a vinyl release. Next, check the infamous new vs. used records thread.

You'll be spending $20 per year in no time.

Within the last year I've become a lot more responsible when it comes to buying any form of physical media, whether it be records, blu-rays, or books. I have to ask myself if it is something that I'm actually going to get use out of. Years ago I would buy things based on the fact that I liked it just a little bit, but would get zero use out of it in the long run. I sold off all the records that I didn't listen to on a regular basis and others that I had multiple variants of. My bank account likes this, and it makes me really value every record that I do own.

I really agree with this. When I first started collecting I'd buy records from artists I only liked one song from. When they just collected dust on my shelf I decided to sell them and keep that money for when other albums that I really love and are more difficult to find pop up. (I.e. Swiss army romance, black parade) I really enjoy looking through my records and wanting to listen to all of them. Like Ronnie said, it makes me value them more.

Guest johneedeformed

First cut back on 7"s, because the price per song ratio is irrational (unless the songs are exclusive to that release of course). Then decide not to buy records that weren't mastered properly for a vinyl release. Next, check the infamous new vs. used records thread.

You'll be spending $20 per year in no time.

You mean the new vs used thread where some whiny elitist cried about it being an old topic and it was revealed that it had actually never been a topic before...

I only read the first 3 posts, but...

The key to any financial savings is to pay yourself first.

I get every single paycheck and take 10% and transfer it to a savings account.  In theory, if I ever saved up a significant amount I'd invest it for real every so often, but I instead bought a car and use it to pay for hockey.  You could do this for extraneous things like vinyl, too.

Divide up your average income and you should have no problem setting money aside.

There's general rules like 1/3rd of your monthly income should be rent/mortgage etc.  If you're intelligent, you should be able to budget and be smart about it.

a lot of good advice in here, first thing I do is what many have mentioned already, which is pay yourself.  Then I only set aside $60 per paycheck to spend on records - doesn't mean I have to spend the $60 every two weeks mind you, but it lets me purchase at least 3 records I want per pay period.  Granted I have a full time job so I can do whatever amount I want, so set aside a reasonable amount per pay period and that's it.  

I'm like several others: a chunk of each paycheck goes into a separate account specifically for records.

Additionally, I don't smoke or drink at all, and would prefer to buy records over going to the movies and such. As such, my % of each check is pretty lofty, because that is my "fun" priority.

Wow i came here to basically say this word for word.

Even at 32, this is a tough concept for me to get. At this point, my salary is small compared to my bills. I really have no expendable income but I'm addicted. Working on the balancing act. I've decided to take a break and haven't bought anything in nearly a month.

It's best to take what you make and pay bills and save. Then just spend what's available. Don't count on selling and using paypal because it isn't steady and when you start banking on it, it's very difficult to say no when things come available and if you don't have the cash, you spend more than you should. Or I did.

I'm not a good person to ask as I just spent $200 just the last few days and that is definitely not %10 of my paycheck.  I can buy all the records my heart desires because I pay minimal rent, drive a shitty old car, and live with my parents.  You don't want to be me so study hard, or work hard and in the future you can afford all the records you want and still be able to save money.  But right now just set aside a certain amount you can safely afford like people are saying and don't go over it.  I would stick to new releases especially ones that have a good chance of selling out or increasing in value and catch up on older stuff later.

You could use this 11% off discount code from soundstagedirect.com that I was just e-mailed an hour or so ago. I looked for a discount thread and a soundstagedirect thread but couldn't find one so this was the next best place? Probably not. Certainly didn't think a one day sale warranted a new thread though. Regardless, save 11% anyway. Code is: LP11. It's good until tomorrow night, 4/11 at 11:59P.M.. Orders over 29.99 ship free and they package hella well. 

With all of that being said. Think it'd be an okay idea to start a general "discount code" thread? I know there are some for hot topic but I didn't see one for other stores.

/indecision