Shipping damage is almost completely PREVENTABLE.

(except when USPS punctures holes through your package, runs them over or melts them)

Many of you are probably thinking "stupid Moonbeams thread. we have this in the sales/wants section." Yeah, its there, but I'm still getting records beat up all the time and I'm sure most people here haven't seen my post. Below is a sure-as-hell technique to prevent corner damage. Give it a chance.

The vast majority of my collection has dinged up corners and other preventable damage from shipping accidents.

All of these accidents could have been easily prevented if sellers put a little more time and care into their orders. Below are some tips that should be rules for sending records.

Seam splits

Send the record outside the jacket. (You'd think common sense by now, but the last couple of records I received were sent inside the jackets),

*do not send the record outside the dust-sleeve where it brushes against cardboard in the mailer. You should have seen my horror when I received a NM Green Day 39/smooth on green vinyl like this. Whole record will be fucked.

Water damage

It is common practice to leave an LP mailer in front of someone's door when delivered. It is also common for rain to fall in some parts of the world. Send your records in plastic sleeves. If there's no flap, tape it over so water can't get in. (Last two used LPs I received had no plastic sleeves).

Corner Damage

Don't be lazy if you're just sending a few packages. Take a moment and do what I do:

IMG_8861.jpgIMG_8860.jpg

See, that wasn't so hard. These people were really happy to get their records in NM condition.

Bends

Yes, accidents happen, especially with USPS. But it is your job to anticipate all accidents. You don't just put a record in a mailer and send it off. Anticipate that your record will be like a football (either American or soccer ball). Package the record knowing its going go through hell.

What you need:

- 2 sheets of STURDY cardboard (note, this will affect shipping costs for sending overseas) 

- tape

Place the jacket and record together (record outside of jacket, inside dust sleeve) inside a plastic sleeve and seal it to protect for water damage. Place the record on a sturdy sheet of cardboard. Cardboard must not be smaller than the record. Tape it centered. Place another sheet on top, center it and tape it. Now open your mailer and tape everything in the center so nothing can slide around. Close the mailer super tight. 

After applying the corner things on this type of package, your record is ready for a battle royale. It should survive being dropped, thrown, and punched.

Sorry if I sound condescending. That's just how I talk, actually.

one of the best things about moonbeams is that he has changed his username 4 times in under a year. started out as plain old 'moonbeams' then changed it to 'PinapplePizza' (not a typo on my part but definitely one on his). 2 months later he changes it to 'Vinyl Message Board Nuissa' (again, not a typo on my part, he probably kept typing even after hitting the character limit and couldn't fit 'Nuissance' in). within 2 months he changes he username yet again, this time to 'Classic Moonbeams'. now he's on 'Classy Moonbeams' before he changes it again to something dumber like " Stay Classy Moonbeams."

one of the best things about moonbeams is that he has changed his username 4 times in under a year. started out as plain old 'moonbeams' then changed it to 'PinapplePizza' (not a typo on my part but definitely one on his). 2 months later he changes it to 'Vinyl Message Board Nuissa' (again, not a typo on my part, he probably kept typing even after hitting the character limit and couldn't fit 'Nuissance' in). within 2 months he changes he username yet again, this time to 'Classic Moonbeams'. now he's on 'Classy Moonbeams' before he changes it again to something dumber like " Stay Classy Moonbeams."

Hilarious.

It's pretty easy to assume what you're saying is true from a buyers perspective, but when you're shipping hundreds of records (or for some companies more) on a daily basis it's a little different. 

Excellent point. That would add hours of additional labor.

Some box makers make special mailers with hanging corners. That's where I got the idea from. However, I don't know if these mailers are available stateside. I bought them when I lived in Japan.

I always assumed corner dings were from sliding around inside the box during transit. Reinforcing the outside wouldn't necessarily help with that.

I usually do a little bit o bubble wrap on the corners inside the box.

Well, if you read the entire you post, you would have seen that this has been accounted for.

You are also mostly wrong. My records with damaged corners usually have damage on the outside.

the good ol' 'how to pack a record' thread thats been in existence for over 2 years.

boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/56823-how-to-pack-a-record/

SEE: 3rd pinned topic in the Sales/Trades/Wants section

Yes, I mentioned that in the post. I also mentioned that I'm making this post to spread the idea because not everyone reads that other forum.

I'm speechless. You remember more than I did. Good job. 

I wanted too get away from Moonbeams, but Pineapple Pizza got the same shit, so I tried to embrace the persona with Message Board Nuisance (but misspelled it and was stuck, because there is a limit of how many name changes you can do within 60 days). Then I was like, fuck it, everyone knows I'm Moonbeams and I'm not going to win anyone over. And then I'd thought I'd be classy, but then made this rant of a thread, so who knows.

By the way, your post creeped me out, too.

(except when USPS punctures holes through your package, runs them over or melts them)

Bends

Yes, accidents happen, especially with USPS. But it is your job to anticipate all accidents. You don't just put a record in a mailer and send it off. Anticipate that your record will be like a football (either American or soccer ball). Package the record knowing its going go through hell.

Yes, definitely, I'm 100% certain they used media mailers for field goal practice here in my hometown, USA