RSD 2013: Tell your stories and share what you bought here!

Got pretty much everything I wanted today at Celebrated Summer in Baltimore:

LP

Double Dagger - 333 (w/ DVD and CSR-only zine, #7/50)

Mindset - Leave No Doubt (special CSR-cover, blue marble)

7"

Night Marchers / Mrs. Magician

Ty Segall - Ty-Rex 2

Husker Du - Amusement 2x7"

Misfits / Lemonheads

and also found a tour cover of the Mean Jeans / Hollywood split for $6!

So, did anyone buy the Old 97s / Waylon Jennings 2x7" set? I didn't see a copy all day, and I haven't heard anyone mention buying it.

Me too.  A girl that checked out in front of me asked about it and the store I went to said they didn't see it.  They had a strong 12" and 7" selection too.  Bummed.  That was high on my list.

Me too.  A girl that checked out in front of me asked about it and the store I went to said they didn't see it.  They had a strong 12" and 7" selection too.  Bummed.  That was high on my list.

I asked at both of the relatively stocked stores I went to. Both said they didn't get it in. Was wondering if it actually got delayed or cancelled or something.

I was in Flint, MI for the weekend.  Met my buddy at the Hill Rd. Meijer at 7:15 and shot down to Ann Arbor.  We got there by 8AM.  

Based on the lists that the record stores in AA had posted on Facebook, Underground Sounds was definitely going to be the best shot for the items that I wanted.  They were scheduled to open at 10AM.  We drove past at 8AM and there were probably 25 people in line.  We parked and walked down to Encore.  No one was in line.  Their list was fairly sparse and they weren't opening until 11AM, so we headed to Underground and got in line.    All I REALLY wanted was the White Stripes LP, but I wanted to chance to get some of the other items, too.

It was COLD.  We were probably 30th in line.   They were scheduled to open at 10AM but actually opened an hour early and started letting people in, which was a nice surprise.  I didn't ask, but I have to guess that this was because it was so cold.  Also, it seemed like they initially let a number of people in.  Then, as one would leave, they would allow another person in.  It was a group of people, but more of a one-in/one-out process.  It kept the line moving, which was nice.  

We wound up getting into the store at 10AM.   Everyone there was very pleasant.  The girl greeting us offered me a couple of free label promo CDs.  

I wound up getting:

The White Stripes - Elephant 2LP - $30
VA - No Alternative 2LP - $35
Mumford & Sons - Live from Bull Moose 10" - $10
Face to Face - The Other Half 10" - $10 
Cake - Sheep Go to Heaven / Jesus Wrote A Blank Check 7" - $7
Dio / Killswitch Engage Split - Holy Diver 7" - $6
The Lonely Island - YOLO 7" - $13

We were in and out in just a couple of minutes.  I also got a cool reusable RSD2013 bag.   The items I didn't get that I wanted were the South Park 7", New Found Glory and Jimmy Eat World.  I was so happy to get what I got, and the three items I didn't get were pretty low priority for me.

I was going to get the mystery 7" but totally forgot to ask.  The guy who was two behind me in line mentioned it and I said "Hey I want that too."  The guy behind the counter said "This is the last one and I have to sell it to him (me) becuase he's ahead of you in line."  I said "No, give it to him.  I would not have even remembered if it wasn't for him."

I also got the last No Alternative comp.  There were plenty of the White Stripes album left when we were done.

We walked back down past Encore.  There still wasn't a single person in line at 10AM.  I contemplated just hanging and waiting for them to open, but there really wasn't anything on their list that I wanted.  We went to Wazoo on State Street.  There wasn't much room to move around so we took off. We walked over to Mden (Go Blue!) and Moe's Sports Shop.  On the way out, there were a couple of guys asking for change.  I gave them .80 and my buddy overheard them say "We almost have a enough for a 40!".  So I walked into the 7-Eleven across the street, purchased two King Cobra 40's, put them in paper bags and walked them back over to them.  Based on their reactions, I felt like I made their entire week.  

Here are some pics of my haul:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

I showed up at Wax Trax in Denver around 4am (I live right around the corner, so I just walked). Ended up being second in queue. It was such a cool experience hanging out with everyone in the line and talking about music and records. The pizza place next door brought us a pizza at 4:15am when they closed which was pretty rad, there were only two of us at that time. When the doors opened at 9am, it was a god damn shit show. Shit hit the fan pretty quick. Every single person I saw had a damn copy of the Phish - Lawn Boy LP.

Scored:

T / T / T (they only had 1 copy of this) ($13)

At The Drive In (surprisingly they still had copies of this as I was leaving) ($30)

New Found Glory (they also only had 1 copy of this) ($12)

Jimmy Eat World 7" (also only 1 copy) ($8)

Went home, listened to T / T / T then headed to Independent Records, also right around the corner, on foot. These guys opened up at 10am. I got there at 10:15 and everything I wanted was pretty much gone for the most part, I mainly just wanted that Touche / TF split 7". They had a Botch and a Linkin Park but I just couldn't justify the prices on those (right around $30 each). Walked out with Straylight Run for $15 and one of those grey 4:20 RSD swag bags. I stopped back in to Wax Trax on my walk back home and sure enough they were pretty much cleaned out of everything, including ATDI.

Still unable to find the Title Fight / Touche Amore split, I was pretty frustrated. Hopped on my bike and rode to Twist & Shout which was also pretty much cleaned out. Didn't get anything there. Rode across town to Atomic Records, they didn't have it there either. But, overall, great day. Had a blast with everyone in the queue at Wax Trax and can't wait till next year!

Damn you people who got White Stripes for $23. Fingerprints marked up the record to $35. Talk about opportunistic.

Also Fingerprints was the site of the biggest whiner on RSD. Guy is 2nd in line at Fingerprints. Finds out that the only DMB box set is being silent auctioned off for charity by the store instead of being sold. Proceeds to argue with owner on it being unfair. WAH WAH. Starts questioning the charity and why the silent auction is not being advertised on facebook. Starts coming up with schemes like "Everything I buy here at the store I will put up on ebay with the tag 'fingerprints.' I should even change my ebay handle to 'fingerprints music.'" He proceeds to say dumb stuff like "Maybe I should tell the owner that I will spend $100 at his store and then anything I get with the $100 he can just auction off and I can get the DMB set instead."

I know the guy posts here, so here's my message to him: Stop being a whining baby. You're a grown man. Fingerprints doesn't owe you anything. Ultimately, waiting in line for an item is a gamble at the end of the day. It's really sad to see grown men bitch like a 2 yr old over some lame records. "HEY GIVE ME THE DMB BOX SET! I'm THEIR BIGGEST FAN. I'VE BEEN TO 77 SHOWS!"

Update to this story about annoying guy at fingerprints:

So I'm looking at the record store's instagram and this annoying guy is commenting on every single fingerprints photo. 

Basically what happened is:

1. Guy waits since 10pm day before for DMB box set.

2. Guy finds out owner is auctioning box set for charity (silent auction style).

3. Guy is pissed off. Proceeds to yell at owner and accuse him of many things.

4. Guy ends up place a bid roughly ~$200.

5. Guy ends up winning the auction.

6. Guy is denied the item as his winning bid is not accepted and is told by manager (owner?) to fuck off.

Good job Fingerprints. You did good. You did good.

I wanted it but didn't feel like paying $24 for it.

Yeah, definitely seems like a gouger. Plain record in a plain sleeve with a plain jacket. Meh.

I got Cave In at Underground Sounds in Ann Arbor, along with a few non-RSD things I've wanted for a while - High On Fire Death Is..., new Converge, and Pallbearer's full length.

Got Elephant, Fun, No Fun, Relationship Of Command, and Braid Frame and Canvas at another shop. I also got the mystery 7", which I am willing to sell at cost. All in all, spent way too much, wish I had found Hüsker Dü and Elliott Smith, forgot to pick up Dopesmoker since I've wanted it for a while, and am generally reeling because it seems like things are going to shit anymore and I had to attend a funeral for my nephews baby and life sucks and I'm hungry but I don't want to spend any more money today even though the $3 shawarma joint up the street sounds really good right about now. Boo hoo.