Zach Braff Movie on Kickstarter

Zach Braff is setting out to make his follow-up (not sequel) to Garden State. I'm sure some people here love that shit, so here's the link. Goal is $2,000,000 but there's some really clever rewards. $300,000 already raised this morning.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1869987317/wish-i-was-here-1

i don't understand why he needs us to back this? can't he get a distributor or whatever it is that people do these days to pay for 99.5% of the movies not made using kickstarter? i mean, it's Zach Braff. He's already a celebrity who's made one successful movie. it's not like you or me coming out of obscurity with a screenplay trying to get it made.

edit: ok, i read his reasoning. i still think it's weird.

Anyone else find it hilarious that ALL of the rewards that involve travel say that the back needs to provide his/her own travel accommodations? WTF! If I laid down more than a plane ticket to go to either LA or NYC, I expect to fucking have my travel paid for. It's $2,000,000 and ZB can't afford to buy two lousy plane tickets for a backer? Kinda stupid.

Anyone else find it hilarious that ALL of the rewards that involve travel say that the back needs to provide his/her own travel accommodations? WTF! If I laid down more than a plane ticket to go to either LA or NYC, I expect to fucking have my travel paid for. It's $2,000,000 and ZB can't afford to buy two lousy plane tickets for a backer? Kinda stupid.

nah, that's pretty normal.

though, i for one, would never spend thousands of dollars to be an extra in a movie. not unless i had tons of money to burn, which i guarantee the buyers probably do.

I never understood why people criticize actors or musicians or inventors who ask for help funding their project. When the iPhone came out, do you think Steve Jobs paid for everything out of pocket? No way. He got investors involved. Almost everybody uses investors when they look to fund a business idea. Kickstarter is the same exact thing as reaching out to said investors, it just uses fan who already want to see the business succeed. 

I just don't stand why people get bent out of shape about it.

That being said, his video was pretty funny. I won't be investing, but I'll see the movie when it comes out.