The Great Gatsby Soundtrack LP on Third Man

Couldn't they give the deluxe version it's own catalog number instead of 222M? As someone working on a collection to obtain every catalog number version available, how about 223? The Rome deluxe got its own number (that I am still trying to track down). Grr.

"I'm upset that I don't have to buy something stupid"

The difference is that Luhrman's R+J was set in modern time so the modern music makes sense, even though the dialog was Shakespearean.

Gatsby (as far as I can tell) is a period piece and all these "modern" artists were just chosen because of their current popularity, not their fit onto a soundtrack for a movie like this.

Also, I really fucking hate DiCaprio.

you have a valid point about the difference.

however, luhrman's films tend to be really opulent in a fantasy driven way, exaggerated and very visual.  i just saw the movie today and i think the soundtrack fit it very well.  i'm not going to buy it though because i really only like jay z and jack white and don't really think it's much of a listening piece without the movie.

this soundtrack would only fit in a luhrman version of a 1920s setting.  i would totally think it was misplaced if it were in something like boardwalk empire.

i picked up a (most likely) bootleg copy recently that doesn't look anything like the one on discogs. it's not clean, looks nice, and surprisingly, sounds incredible. it's clear vinyl with labels that look like the picture discs.

The record store next near me is selling the WTT bootleg for $140, either the owner is an idiot thinking he has a legit version or P.O.S. trying to scam someone.