[PO] Caspian // Hymn For The Greatest Generation

My favorite one thus far in The Hobby has been Deadhorse/HHH 7" which is listed as "Orange-Red" and came out YELLOW - I even emailed the poor dude at the label to confirm that my red-green color deficiency hadn't taken a sudden turn for the worse ;)  "That's the way they came out at the plant when they mixed the orange and red," he said the plant told him :D  

Reminds of when we built our house and the daughter's room was supposed to be painted PINK, and when we were doing the daily walk through, noticed it was Mint Green, pretty, but not Pink.  

So, the wife's eye is twitching pretty hard (at least the 10th time this sort of thing happened already), so I called the builder who said ... "I know, I know, but we had this leftover Green and thought - "why not paint the room Green and see if they like it!"  

Needless to say, they had to put 3 coats of PINK with the wife supervising every paint brush - no caving in.

I can't understand why when the Yellow DH/HHH arrived, they didn't send it back - except for: 1. Deadline 2. Maybe the plant gave it to them free and the label just ditched the advertised color, thinking 'so what, who cares?' And deal with all the emails.

My favorite one thus far in The Hobby has been Deadhorse/HHH 7" which is listed as "Orange-Red" and came out YELLOW - I even emailed the poor dude at the label to confirm that my red-green color deficiency hadn't taken a sudden turn for the worse ;) "That's the way they came out at the plant when they mixed the orange and red," he said the plant told him :D

I can't understand why when the Yellow DH/HHH arrived, they didn't send it back - except for: 1. Deadline 2. Maybe the plant gave it to them free and the label just ditched the advertised color, thinking 'so what, who cares?' And deal with all the emails.

As somebody pointed out a few posts back, unless you're doing a simple single or split color, you're putting yourself at the mercy of the guy mixing colors at the plant. Once the color pellets are loaded in the press, your whole run is locked in. Unless there was a legitimate problem (ie. audio quality), I can't imagine any plant would agree to repress for free.

As somebody pointed out a few posts back, unless you're doing a simple single or split color, you're putting yourself at the mercy of the guy mixing colors at the plant. Once the color pellets are loaded in the press, your whole run is locked in. Unless there was a legitimate problem (ie. audio quality), I can't imagine any plant would agree to repress for free.

Yep, my understanding is there aren't many pressing plants so they're on the power play, but the are not the only show in town.

Getting the wrong color from what you ordered is a 'legitimate problem' in most any business - heck, Sherwin-Williams fed me and kept me alive (my Dad worked for them for 25 years).  I'd like to see them try this business model. 

Just because an order might be small in the vinyl ordering world doesn't give the fat cat pressing plants the right to give them the finger, though that's most likely what happens. And the labels aren't as anal about the color - is it 'puke' gold or 'translucent gold' - as the collectors.

And with 'legitimate problems' like audio quality, that's quite a bit more subjective than getting Yellow vs Orange-Red!  We all have albums with sound quality issues, and some pretty serious (thinking 1st press Caspian Tertia)  -- unless, of course, we only own Denovali releases. But then, that's what Test Presses are for, right?  

I think you're grasping since lexdev linked up, but whatever, it's The Hobby . :wub:  

I've definitely gotten the wrong color more than once. They just don't care at the plant level.

I assure you that the mess-ups are never free and that they will send you another stab at your color variant...if you pay for ANOTHER pressing.

In my case, I just stopped using those plants for future pressings, but it is very exhausting looking for new pressing plants each time - because they all do the same thing! Ha!

Getting the wrong color from what you ordered is a 'legitimate problem' in most any business - heck, Sherwin-Williams fed me and kept me alive (my Dad worked for them for 25 years). I'd like to see them try this business model.

I think you're grasping since lexdev linked up, but whatever, it's The Hobby . :wub:

Sherwin Williams is in the business of color. Record color is important to a bunch of obsessed hobbyists, but it's not the main business of record pressing plants. Would it be nice if everything came out perfectly? Sure, but right now it's not realistic.

As to grasping, yes Pirates, Gotta Grove, United, etc have sample mockups on their sites. But you were talking about the Deadhorse split mockup, which was done by the label;)

• 1 month later...

My favorite one thus far in The Hobby has been Deadhorse/HHH 7" which is listed as "Orange-Red" and came out YELLOW - I even emailed the poor dude at the label to confirm that my red-green color deficiency hadn't taken a sudden turn for the worse ;)  "That's the way they came out at the plant when they mixed the orange and red," he said the plant told him :D  

Reminds of when we built our house and the daughter's room was supposed to be painted PINK, and when we were doing the daily walk through, noticed it was Mint Green, pretty, but not Pink.  

So, the wife's eye is twitching pretty hard (at least the 10th time this sort of thing happened already), so I called the builder who said ... "I know, I know, but we had this leftover Green and thought - "why not paint the room Green and see if they like it!"  

Needless to say, they had to put 3 coats of PINK with the wife supervising every paint brush - no caving in.

I'm not even sure what happened with those records.  We were just told what colors they were going to be, because they were going to match the artwork that Brent had put together for the split.  I feel like they were all originally advertised as something that came out completely different.  You never really know how crazy color combos are going to turn out, but we just rolled with it, because at the end of the day, what are you really going to do?

When we got "We Can Create Our Own World" done, there was a mixup that we had to get changed.  Remember the clear green ones with the silkscreen covers?  That's what arrived to us first instead of the marbled olive that we requested.  Those obviously didn't match the aesthetic of our band whatsoever, but we figured out something we could do with them, and it went over really well.  It's all just a roll of the dice I suppose. 

Why is everyone hatin' on the brown variant? I know it isn't exactly what we were all expecting, but all things considered... I like it. Plus, it's what the wax plays... and I think we can all agree that Caspian has done it again. 

Also, if you can catch them live, it is so worth it. Great live show.

• 1 year later...

Amazon.com are selling this (got mine today). Depending on whether you have Prime and whether or not you are in the USA, they may well be cheaper than Hello Merch.

http://www.amazon.com/Hymn-Greatest-Generation-Caspian/dp/B00FSCLJ4G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1445099106&sr=8-1&keywords=caspian+hymn

http://hellomerch.com/collections/caspian/products/hymn-for-the-greatest-generation-ep?variant=375621237