Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

PG Lost "It's Not Me, It's You" is on it's way to me!

I paid more than I wanted to, but... this material is amazing, and hopefully it holds up to my expectations for vinyl.

I can't wait to crank "Siren" and "Maquina" super loud. It will be full of post-rock glory.

I'm ready to hear this new material they are recording.

PG Lost "It's Not Me, It's You" is on it's way to me!

I paid more than I wanted to, but... this material is amazing, and hopefully it holds up to my expectations for vinyl.

I can't wait to crank "Siren" and "Maquina" super loud. It will be full of post-rock glory.

That's a solid album. Glad you grabbed it. Get the split while you're at it.

Ok so I'm gonna tally up the Doomina orders. Looks like we have myself, Derek, Charlie, Butcher, & Deafening.

Matt, Don, Gumbo, anyone else? Let me know by tomorrow & I can place an order.

I am down. Count me in for a Gold/Black mix copy. 

Looks like shipping is free to the US if you hit 6 copies (which would make it $17/each roughly). Plus the cost for you to distribute/ship them of course. 

Ok so I'm gonna tally up the Doomina orders. Looks like we have myself, Derek, Charlie, Butcher, & Deafening.

Matt, Don, Gumbo, anyone else? Let me know by tomorrow & I can place an order.

I'll check them out again, been super busy so I haven't had much time to digest some new music.

Probably out for me (seeing as I've spent hundreds of dollars in the past month or so on records and I need to halt it for a bit haha).

are any of your preordering the tortoise reissues? I can't justify 2nd copies of the first 3, wish I wasn't broke so I could grab Standards though

http://www.thrilljockey.com/products/millions-now-living-will-never-die

best post-rock album right here ^

grabbed tnt, didn't realize they were reissuing these. thanks for the heads up. 

Ok looks like robotfactory was right about free shipping after you order 6 or more.  I am going to go ahead and PM everyone interested.  Total in US dollars is $18.88, I'll make it an even $22 per person and that will include me shipping to you guys.  Once I have everyone's $$ I'll make the order!

I'm surprised.

I'm not. Not saying Doomina is the most refreshing, innovative, engaging post-rock out there - especially since I haven't even listened to the album in full - but I've noticed that the stuff that clicks with Gumbo doesn't really grab me like it used to. To each his own, obviously, but I specifically enjoy the lack of soaring crescendos from what I've heard off that Doomina LP. Considering how nice the packaging and variant look, a $22 PPD import is more than alright with me. I didn't even get to the track Evan was hyping up; can't wait to sink my teeth into the full album.

Totally agree with Derek that it's really nothing I haven't heard before, but the two songs I like most are fantastic (especially "Prince of Whales") are worth the cost of the album by themselves.  And also like Derek said, this is one of the cheaper imports I've purchased.  The artwork and variant choices pushed it over the top for me.  Need some new stuff in my life anyways.

thats about the least excited statement you have ever posted, so i totally believe you.

haha yeah, it just didn't really gel with me.

On the other hand, THIS album has me totally hooked right now:

They're kind of metal like ITTCT, and in a weird way, the heaviness reminds me of why i loved Korn and Slipknot and bands like that when I was in middle school. They don't sound like that at all, but Colaris uses the soft-> loud verse/chorus kind of dynamic really well, and they tune down.

Maybe its just the tuning, and the heavy "chorus" riffs that I really love. But check it out, it's kind of like a grittier, almost hard-rock sort of spin on the post-rock paradigm.

Lots of cool delay pedal riffs, and man, those hulking heavy breaks are just so sweet. I love that swell of bass with the saturated overdrive sound.

haha yeah, it just didn't really gel with me.

On the other hand, THIS album has me totally hooked right now:

They're kind of metal like ITTCT, and in a weird way, the heaviness reminds me of why i loved Korn and Slipknot and bands like that when I was in middle school. They don't sound like that at all, but Colaris uses the soft-> loud verse/chorus kind of dynamic really well, and they tune down.

Maybe its just the tuning, and the heavy "chorus" riffs that I really love. But check it out, it's kind of like a grittier, almost hard-rock sort of spin on the post-rock paradigm.

Lots of cool delay pedal riffs, and man, those hulking heavy breaks are just so sweet. I love that swell of bass with the saturated overdrive sound.

I know Don's been on the Colaris bandwagon for a while. I personally could never get into them. Like Doomina with you, nothing here stood out for me with Colaris.

Barracuda filter at work, so I can't see which album Gumbo posted, but I like their most recent Nexus > Renewal.  Renewal doesn't have any tracks or riffs that I could hum in head all day, like pg.lost, Daturah, Caspian, or ITTCT - it's just a great journey as a whole album. It arrived in my life about the same time C.U.t.E "Fragments of Prayer" which is just a solid record all the way through, so the association may elevate Renewal for that reason. And the variants are just killer (1st press)

I think Jessie's guitar work sounds more like anything I personally would be trying to do if still playing - it just really clicks to me and he mixes things up quite a bit, very versatile.  If I said that before, forgive my old age.

I think I posted on IG but maybe here as well is another relatively unknown band 'out there' but more familiar around these parts, Kerretta, has a 7" which I actually listen to every couple weeks or so, and Jessie does a guitar cover on Youtube of the title track "Death In The Future".  That has a hook that you can hum all day - in fact - I'm humming right now :)

What is scary is that Gumbo and I are sharing many similar tastes in the postrock universe :D

This Doomina album is wonderful. Sadly, cash is tight right now, otherwise i'd be all over the LP. Many thanks for the recommendation, in any case.

I know Don's been on the Colaris bandwagon for a while. I personally could never get into them. Like Doomina with you, nothing here stood out for me with Colaris.

I think it's largely about personal frames of reference, to a degree.

Colaris makes me think of my youth... and the glory nights of sneaking out in middle and high school and causing a ruckus throughout town on bikes with my friends.

The heaviness of their sound brings me back to that time, and I love that sort of trigger.

It's funny how some things grab some people and make them freak out, and not others. It's a fascinating thing.

I can't get any of my friends into post-rock, really. And I'm like "HOW DO YOU NOT FUCKING GUSH OVER THIS STUFF, FOR FUCK'S SAKE?!?"

• jhulud locked this topic