Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

Love that group, thanks for posting, Evan!. I keep forgetting about them. It's like all the books I'm never going to read in this life - there's just too much good music #firstworldproblems

So true! So much out there I forget to revisit.

Also, not sure if you guys saw my Waking Aida thread but they already have a new one coming out end of September. $30 shipped for vinyl from overseas. New song "Blue Shelled" is solid.

wakingaida.bandcamp.com

Waking Aida is such an interesting group. Going to check the new song out right now.

As far as instrumental shit goes, I have been knee-deep in Pg.Lost for the last.... weeks. I can't stop listening.

Key is tremendous and such a step ahead in writing, but all of their albums are fucking sick. I also just finally checked out the split with Wang Wen and was pleasantly surprised at how kick-ass that was.

This new Waking Aida song is pretty fucking sick.... damn.

If anyone missed that Unconditional Arms /35 lathe from Intheclouds I highly recommend at least hearing that song, Fever Basin. It's phenomenal. I'll be digging into the rest of their stuff tomorrow.

I've been really into the heavier ambient stuff lately. I dunno if anyone ever checked out Sora Shima (I posted about them last year), but I've been revisiting that album lately. Only vinyl sadly is a 10" lathe with two of their songs on it, shipping from NZ ($30 shipping cost alone...yikes).

I'll second that lathe track, Fever Basin.

And pg.lost. Esp Despardicio Parts I and II on the WW split. I can hum of those in my head so you know they have some great hooks.

interesting, I never really got into In Never Out as much as Yes, I AM or the It's Not Me, It's You, but I picked up the cassette and have been playing it every night, since it's not real intrusive music to family time, and it's starting to grow on me. Crystalline still rules though.

Wess Meets West released their entire EP today.  It's really really good.  Sounds like a perfect evolution for the band.  More vocals, but they don't lose their distinct sound.  "A Well Driller's Son" is fantastic.  Starts off as trademark WMW and then has a great ending.

wessmeetswest.bandcamp.com

Lost in Kiev has put a teaser out. Love "Motions", hope the followup is worthy.

Thanks for the heads-up. Motions is definitely one of my most favorite albums that I don't own in any physical form. Just never can swallow that overseas shipping cost. Hopefully they'll build on their earlier sound with this next album.

I'll second that lathe track, Fever Basin.

And pg.lost. Esp Despardicio Parts I and II on the WW split. I can hum of those in my head so you know they have some great hooks.

interesting, I never really got into In Never Out as much as Yes, I AM or the It's Not Me, It's You, but I picked up the cassette and have been playing it every night, since it's not real intrusive music to family time, and it's starting to grow on me. Crystalline still rules though.

Everything PG.Lost has put out is fucking amazing. I can't get enough of that band. On Planet Post-Rock, they are their own continent. I'm having serious trouble finding anything of theirs on vinyl, though.

On other band notes, I've been doing a lot of listening in preparation for this coming Tuesday, when I will see GODSPEED YOU! BLACK EMPEROR in Hudson, NY!!!!!

I can't fucking wait. I hope they play shit from Providence, Lift Yr. Skinny Fists, the bookend tracks from the new album, and all of "Storm".

This new Wess Meets West song is pretty damn solid...

Love the 4 tracks!. The first one is a burner right from start. Agree with your call on Track 2 and the direction of the band. I'm finding myself drawn to their more recent output vs the first

Spurv - Skarntyde

Spurv is an instrumental rock band from Oslo, Norway.

https://spurv.bandcamp.com/album/skarntyde

Now, there is some very RICH music right there! 2 tracks > 14 min, and the 2nd time through, I still feel like I've only scratched the surface. Nothing 'new' but so well composed and orchestrated. Great one, Cholly!  Not sure if I have room for wax, gonna give it a few more listens. I'll probably end up buying digital and then a year from now will kick myself for not just getting the vinyl. (Tides of Man comes to mind. What was wrong with my ears the first few times? Maybe b/c I listened to their earlier stuff first, idk)

BTW, I emailed Tides re: a vinyl repress of Young and Courageous, and they did email back after a few weeks and said they are 'still considering it' fwiw.

HOLY GOOD LORD.

GO FUCKING SEE GODSPEED YOU BLACK EMPEROR.

WOW.

Utterly... wow. Exceeded any expectations and transcended my wildest dreams for what that band can do live. Holy fucking shit.

That was easily one of the most transformative live things I've ever seen. That sound...

11 days but who's counting? ;)

HOLY GOOD LORD.

GO FUCKING SEE GODSPEED YOU BLACK EMPEROR.

WOW.

Utterly... wow. Exceeded any expectations and transcended my wildest dreams for what that band can do live. Holy fucking shit.

That was easily one of the most transformative live things I've ever seen. That sound...

Seeing them for the first time in a couple weeks. This has me even more stoked!

Love the 4 tracks!. The first one is a burner right from start. Agree with your call on Track 2 and the direction of the band. I'm finding myself drawn to their more recent output vs the first.

This has been one of the most addicting things I've listened to lately. It finishes & I immediately want to relisten. That first track punches you in the mouth in a very ASIWYFA way before getting into classic WMW. I guess the increased vocals kind of disqualify it from this thread, but it's still very much post-rock. Vinyl is coming eventually. Hopefully it's reasonable being that it's only 4 tracks.

This has been one of the most addicting things I've listened to lately. It finishes & I immediately want to relisten. That first track punches you in the mouth in a very ASIWYFA way before getting into classic WMW. I guess the increased vocals kind of disqualify it from this thread, but it's still very much post-rock. Vinyl is coming eventually. Hopefully it's reasonable being that it's only 4 tracks.

I down for vinyl on this! plz post when they put them up for sale. I wouldn't mind a 10 or 12, I think too much for a 7 thank goodness!  No more 7's...

Seeing them for the first time in a couple weeks. This has me even more stoked!

Dude, you don't even know what you're in for.

Don't wear earplugs. Don't drink. Don't take any drugs.

The new songs.... wow. Just wait.

I'm still reeling. I haven't been this impacted by a live performance in a long, long time.

Scrambling to figure out how I can catch more of this tour...

Although my hearing loss isn't from concerts, it really, really, really sucks.  I wear hearing aids and where I can hear things like people, who are speaking at a good volume, I have trouble hearing soft spoken people, I don't hear wildlife as much, my cell phone barely wakes me up in the morning, music - you can't even hear cymbals much....

I mean, please wear ear plugs!.....

Seriously. Invest in a pair of decent earbuds that allow you to appreciate the musicianship of a show without the damaging volumes; they do exist. "Aww man, you don't really care about the show if you're just gonna' stuff your ears beforehand. And you call yourself a fan? Stop being a pussy." – I've heard it all. The fact of the matter is that I enjoy all music - not just live music - so, so incredibly much that I'd be gutted to sacrifice detail and appreciation for it down the road, just to catch the shows of my 20s at full volume. (Plus the muffled ringing afterwards is just not something I enjoy.)

All personal opinion, but I'm a huge advocate for hearing protection and take that shit super seriously. Most of us are adults and can make our own decisions, but I remind you that you probably wouldn't even be on this board if you could barely hear the vinyl you spun.

Can you guys please recommend me where and what kind of ear plugs to buy?

I have V-MODA Faders. Tried them out at a Bongripper show and they saved my eardrums. I don't know how they compare to the really expensive earplugs, but I kept testing them by taking them out and putting them back in. I don't know how people were listening to the bands that night without plugs. When I would take them out the highs felt like they were slicing my eardrums.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007TEQNBK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

I don't go with ear plugs for every show but something that I know will be insane like Godspeed will for sure require them. I have a cheap pair of those Etymotics or whatever they are called & they work great. Removes the piercing qualities of the sound without sacrificing the overall experience.

• jhulud locked this topic