Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

Can you guys please recommend me where and what kind of ear plugs to buy?

I have some low end Etymotics that are my favorites (they have the plastic stems, you look like Shrek, but whatever), and some others you have to push way down in there and they have a retrieval tool. Different stems for different listening experience. No ringing at all the next day. They were about $40 - the brand is escaping me atm.

Defintely a wise investment - listen to the man above who can't hear (what I did there, see it).  

I went to an Eric Johnson concert in 1990, in a museum theater of all places, 12 rows back, and it took me 4 weeks to recover from that one, no hearing protection back then.  And I thought Teg Nugent, Blue Oyster Cult, The Who, and Black Sabbath concerts were loud (late 70's).

you're still young. mine crept up on me and my hearing is garbage.

my link shows how they now have filters. they let the highs in still. it's not like the foam plugs for airplane rides anymore. they have advanced. if I'm standing 2' from a stack that's 7' tall I'm wearing headphones. I'm normally right up front. if I'm in an arena or a large venue, no plugs. but I end up at dives. they're small and cramped. plugs make it bearable.

Yeah I mean, Godspeed was loud but it was comfortable loud. It was enveloping. It wasn't "holy shit this is deafening" and my ears were fine more or less by the time I got back home (45 minute drive).

Some bands, like the first time I saw Caspian, I regret not wearing earplugs because the sound was fucking ATROCIOUS and the high end was so god-damn piercing and painful any time the guitarists went above the 12th fret for any of the peaks. Awful, awful experience, that was.

Also, which one of you fuckers picked up "Key" on clear/black from Discogs for only $30? GRRRRRR!!!!!

I didn't need ear plugs at Caspian show in 2013 as we at least 100 feet back, near the bar (Local 506 in Chapel Hill,NC) - and the sound was perfect.  Mono has played there -- I  can't imagine how any of the wine  glasses survived that onslaught.

The immediate effect of a loud show is high-pitched ringing (tinnitus), and mine started by playing in garage bands as a teen, lawn mowing, and shooting a 12 gauge shotgun. 

It's cumulative, and like Charlie said, it can be so gradual that it sneaks up on you - until it hits that threshold when you start noticing.

The new plugs have holes in the center of different diameters to allow the mids and highs in (somewhat). 

Absolute must if I'm up front with the kids.  I will confess for certain RC and Rosetta songs, I take them out.

Again, it's not a completely muffled experience also like Charlie said, with those foam expanding disposable kind.

Yeah I mean, Godspeed was loud but it was comfortable loud. It was enveloping. It wasn't "holy shit this is deafening" and my ears were fine more or less by the time I got back home (45 minute drive).

Some bands, like the first time I saw Caspian, I regret not wearing earplugs because the sound was fucking ATROCIOUS and the high end was so god-damn piercing and painful any time the guitarists went above the 12th fret for any of the peaks. Awful, awful experience, that was.

Also, which one of you fuckers picked up "Key" on clear/black from Discogs for only $30? GRRRRRR!!!!!

Atrocious? Caspian? I highly fucking doubt that, ace.

not gonna happen.

(see screen name)

:)

however I have a 1st press black of the S/t I've been trying to unload forever.

I didn't think you'd budge on it.  I really did pick the worst band to variant collect, and I'm just starting.  So I have close to nothing. It'll be a fun process though. 

Maybe Don will come through on some things (wishful thinking of course).

And yeah, put me down for taking whatever of theirs you are trying to unload. Like I said, I have close to nothing so thats certainly one that I need!

• jhulud locked this topic