Recent purchases

q2WsC6C.jpg

hope the dude is better

Story time!

A few months ago, I sold my old turntable to this lady that wanted to do something nice for her husband. The husband had a load of vinyl, but nothing to play them on. She kept going on and on about how nice it would be for him to be able to play his records again. I sold the turntable for cheap.

Fast forward to Saturday. Out of the blue, I got a facebook message from her, saying that her husband is sick, and they needs money for the medical bills (even though Canadian health care is free, there are some things that are not covered, apparently), so she asked if I was interested in "a few records". Not really in the mood to buy anything, I agreed for her to send me a list of albums that are available.

I was expecting the albums that you find in the back of a dollar bin at a thrift store, but she took pictures of all 128 (yes, one hundred and twenty eight) records and sent them to me.

As I go through them, I start to realize that this guy has almost the same taste in music as I do, so I get interested.

Then, we came to a price. Like I mentioned, I was not in a mood to buy, so I wanted her to give me a price, so I could politely decline.

After some hums and ha's, she said "even at 50ct a piece, I'd be happy, so $60 for the whole collection".

I texted my wife, who happened to be in the same town as the seller at that time, asking her if she could swing by.

About an hour after the initial message, I was the owner of 128 records.

Ok, so most of the sleeves have seen better days. The collection was stored in, I'm guessing, a somewhat humid basement for years, but the vinyl itself seems to be in excellent shape.

Oh, what's in the collection? Aerosmith, Rod Stewart, Queen, Heart, Lynrd Skynyrd, Boston, Fleetwood Mac, Black Sabbath, Kiss, Santana, Bob Dylan, Hendrix, Starz, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd and a lot more..

No but garage sale and classic rock purchases do not really appeal to many people on this board

I just hate reading long-ass posts about "what a great score" someone got when it turns out to be a pretty meh "score" in the end. Black Sabbath is rad, but yeah...most of that stuff is the same "goodwill bin" stuff he was so excited about it not being.

I just hate reading long-ass posts about "what a great score" someone got when it turns out to be a pretty meh "score" in the end. Black Sabbath is rad, but yeah...most of that stuff is the same "goodwill bin" stuff he was so excited about it not being.

Agreed. I'm a native Redditor, but I use VC for stuff related to records, and mostly ignore the subreddits that focus on it.

Everytime I post an update here I realize how bad I need an accountability partner... 

From the past three weeks...

Hayden - Hey Love

Elbow - The Take Off And Landing Of Everything

Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Wilco - Sky Blue Sky

Andrew Weathers Ensemble - Fuck Everybody, You Can Do Anything

Danger Doom - The Mouse And The Mask

Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I Sit And Think, And Sometimes I Just Sit

Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker (Reisssue)

Ryan Adams - Ten Songs From Live At Carnegie Hall LP

Hop Along - Painted Shut

Glassjaw - Worship & Tribute (MOV)

Jim O'Rourke - Simple Songs

D'Angelo and The Vanguard - Black Messiah

Marriages - Salome

Songs Ohia - The Lioness

Chelsea Wolfe - Unknown Rooms

Body Songs - Stench Of Exist

Balthazar - Thin Walls 

Tycho - Awake (Standard black with free download code thing)

I know I said I would get the new Libertines album as my first 'new' vinyl purchase, but I saw this and I've seen this almost everywhere on youtube vinyl lover channels and thought this might be a good first purchase, since I already know I like the music (that I've heard so far, I haven't listened to it on youtube because I wanted to save the whole album for when I purchased it for myself.)

:)

Almost forgot to add the price. $18.99 Canadian, still in shrink wrap.

I know I said I would get the new Libertines album as my first 'new' vinyl purchase, but I saw this and I've seen this almost everywhere on youtube vinyl lover channels and thought this might be a good first purchase, since I already know I like the music (that I've heard so far, I haven't listened to it on youtube because I wanted to save the whole album for when I purchased it for myself.)

Rad, you got it for average asking price.

No but garage sale and classic rock purchases do not really appeal to many people on this board

Agreed. I'm a native Redditor, but I use VC for stuff related to records, and mostly ignore the subreddits that focus on it.

Noted.

Yep. That's the street price for that album here in Canada :)

A brief visit to the local shops over the weekend yielded:

Bjork - Vulnicura

Bill Fay - Who is the Sender?

The Horrible Crowes - Elsie

Titus Andronicus - The Airing of Grievances (bootleg edition /500)

Manchester Orchestra - HOPE (should have picked this up earlier, but it proved unusually elusive)

The Baseball Astrologer - Famine of the Soul (Anyone have this? Looks like a funky release. Came with an old baseball card glued to the back.)

June was an expensive month. I sold some old game stuff I don't ever use to fund it.

Circa Survive- Juturna/OLG for $30 a piece

Circa Survive- B-Sides for $20

Marilyn Manson- Antichrist Superstar sealed $70

Ryan Adams- Gold/Demolition at $11 a piece

Ryan Adams- Heartbreaker at $22

Hot Topic- I got 25-30 records for a total of around $130 

Picked up some cheap TA/TBS/ALK3 while I was out of town

Found some cool classic rock stuff at GW for like $2 as well.

.50 a piece is a pretty great deal, I wouldn't call hendrix, floyd or dylan thrift store records either. Most albums from these artists command at least $10 in any condition, unless it was the less popular stuff. But I do notice a general lack of interest in pre-90s music on these boards

Picked up all of these over the past week and got the Dead Kennedys box in the mail from amazon and got it for a good deal (20$ shipped). And now I'm just waiting for the merchlimited alternative cover edition/100 of the new Senses Fail to have a complete first press 

Hundredth - Let Go - Black/1000

Citizen - Everybody Is Going To Heaven - Black/Gold Swirl (signed alt album cover given out at certain hot topics)/1300

Being As An Ocean - S/T - Silver/White Swirl 

Senses Fail - Pull The Thorns From Your Heart - Blue/Grey with Magenta Splatter/500 

nInvp8Y.png 

gF04vyZ.png

xyTbqfY.png

5YY2Fcb.png

hUD5dcP.png

2ccd5f5af25f28497bc6ba58f2f415ae_zpsoqvw

mewithoutYou. It's All Crazy! It's All False! It's All A Dream! It's Alright /Burnt Toast Vinyl '09 /mixed marble

85a68d896ecc2fb291057e03889da769_zpsjrn8

We Never Learned To Live. Silently, I Threw Them Skyward /Through Love Records '15 /cream with cherry marble /100

WNLTL!

Great band and good friends of mine! My band is playing a couple of shows with them this weekend in fact!

.50 a piece is a pretty great deal, I wouldn't call hendrix, floyd or dylan thrift store records either. Most albums from these artists command at least $10 in any condition, unless it was the less popular stuff. But I do notice a general lack of interest in pre-90s music on these boards

I haven't paid more than $1 for most of my Floyd, Zep, Sabbath, Dylan, Beatles or Hendrix, and just about every one of them has been a thrift store or garage sale find

That's said, the only ones of those I listen to regularly are the Sabbath records and Floyd every now and then.

I run across that shit all the time though, especially Aerosmith and Dylan at thrift stores. ::shrug::

I haven't paid more than $1 for most of my Floyd, Zep, Sabbath, Dylan, Beatles or Hendrix, and just about every one of them has been a thrift store or garage sale find

That's said, the only ones of those I listen to regularly are the Sabbath records and Floyd every now and then.

I run across that shit all the time though, especially Aerosmith and Dylan at thrift stores. ::shrug::

I understand, I myself am in a similar situation but mostly just from years of working in record stores and getting insider deals/records given to me. But in the current climate many of those old dime a dozen artists have shot up in value in a physical store setting. I would marvel at how we would put out a 70s pressing of axis: bold as love or a 77 reissue of any LZ album in VG condition for $15 and it would fly off the shelf in a day, and five years ago those would sit for $6 or 7 for weeks sometimes. As a result, I now consider deals like this a score in this day and age. Thrift stores are really picked over, at least in Colorado here so the chance of getting big name rock artists seem to be getting slimmer, competition is fierce these days