Brand New Question

I went to the box office to get them today for the pittsburgh show. There was a line of 10 people and everyone bought tickets for brand new. The guy in fromt of me let me buy tickets right after and e waited on his second order to see ghost because he knew it would sell out.

I never go the day they go on sale and buy them like that and glad i did.

It seems that people just flock to see them because they play so infrequently anymore. A friend will try and see at least two or three dates each tour because who knows if they will say screw it and never tour again.

Deja was the only album certified, back in 2007...so its gotta be a bit higher now. Quiet Things... and Sic Transit Gloria both had videos on MTV2. I would say far from word of mouth. I bought Deja at Target when it came out. It had massive distribution and promotion. YFW always fell behind because its so far off from their other albums, but I feel gives them a wider audience with the variety in their repertoire.

Also, I think it was amicable back in the day with them and TBS. They toured together...with RUFIO; was my first "big" concert. All touring on their first albums, aaahhhh. Also they share a line in their songs: " I got a 20 dollar bill yadda yadda", from 'mix tape' and 'theres no I in team'. 

Definitely feel the lack of touring and 'mystery' behind them really adds to their phenomenon. Kinda like the Cartmanland episode of south park where Cartman has the park and he won't let anybody in and then everyone REALLY wants in haha. not exactly but it popped into mind. 

Be all that as it may, Casey is right....Foxy Shazam is waaaaaay cooler of a band.

21 user(s) are reading this topic

17 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

y'all are silly. anyway, i don't know, deja got a lot of air time. at the same time, i think underoath moved just as many units on they're only chasing safety (at least it certified gold, or at least define the great line did), yet i don't think they ever had the popularity of brand new in terms of batshit crazy fans.

i think the cartmanland reference actually holds some ground here. i think there's something about their exclusivity that drives people nuts, and i think the shows selling out in 3 minutes is a self-perpetuating cycle (aka feedback loop). the harder it is to buy tickets to a show, the more people want to buy tickets to the show.

I'm not talking success!  They've been successful for a long time, but the 30 second sellouts is new.

I added vinyl because the nonvinyl collectors who put them on the wall blah blah who have a tumblr know that'd it'd be cool to own one.  It all adds to the "exclusivity and hype" of the band.  I don't think it's a huge factor to them, but it definitely adds!

I'd argue that they're not as big as you might think. I'd argue their popularity fades as you move away from the east coast, aside from California. When they came here (Calgary) a couple years ago I was able to purchase tickets a week after they went on sale, no problems. I think the show eventually sold out but not with the pandemonium that surrounds there shows now.

Like others have said they get a ton of hype online. And on sites like tumblr and even here on VC the exclusivity of tours and releases helps drive internet boners into believing they need everything this band has ever made and see them as many times as possible and this will make them king of the internet boners. I'd be willing to bet in 5 years when there's a new band to drool over you'll get flamed for mentioning Brand New on certain sites.

There's no doubt in my mind that they have mega fans that pay anything to follow them around the country but like you said a band doesn't have to be good to have fans like that. This band is like a cult film. You get a mix of people who truly admire and appreciate this band and the music they produce and you get the others who cling to whatever is considered cool.

Also, I think it was amicable back in the day with them and TBS. They toured together...with RUFIO; was my first "big" concert. All touring on their first albums, aaahhhh. Also they share a line in their songs: " I got a 20 dollar bill yadda yadda", from 'mix tape' and 'theres no I in team'. 

I was so into that rivalry thing when I was in high school. i remember talking about it at length with a friend on AIM.

I can't see them making many new fans since devil and god.

i can. (i think) they've gained so many fans in the 14-18 year old range over the past few years through social media.  kids expand their taste around that age and believe they are enlightened to this "deep meaningful profound" music that is brand new, and worship it like its written by jesus himself. 

i think its everything from their constant (debatable) genre changing albums, edgy non-understandable album art (tdag), and lyrics that can be difficult to interpret, so kids in general just seem to think its profound to an extent that can't be matched.  and i'm not shitting on brand new, i really enjoy them and they are one of, if not, my favorite band.  

oh, and they also play shows at venues that are way too small for their fanbase.  if any band with 831,000 followers on facebook played small clubs, the shows would sell out in minutes.

I don't really have an explanation, but my impression is that a lot of people who don't like the kind of genre Brand New generally gets thrown into (I'll avoid the "e" word, as well as others), seem to like Brand New and discovered them a little late, which maybe accounts for their growing popularity.  I know Deja was one of the first records I bought when I wanted to check out the younger punk/emo/whatever crop of bands, and Deja is a pretty easy record to get into from that standpoint insofar as not every song is loud and screamy, so you could play a fan of a lot of different music something off of it and have them, if not like it, at least find it listenable.  I also think they have more respect in the indie crowd than other similarly situated bands (Thursday, Taking Back Sunday, etc.).  For instance, when Pitchfork did their "People's List" of the top albums from 1996 to 2011, Devil and God had the 4th most "write in" votes (votes for albums that Pitchfork had not reviewed).  They've also done a good job of (1) aligning themselves with and touring with really good younger bands that maybe help them continue to get new fans (Manchester Orchestra and Kevin Devine come to mind), and (2) name-check/cover/give props to bands with decent followings that might check them out by association (Jesse covering Neutral Milk Hotel, Archers of Loaf, Modest Mouse).

Plus they're really good live.