Vinyl wrappers

Do you keep the wrappers on your vinyl?

Ones with stickers I do (like exclusive colors)

Does keeping it on help hold value?

For me it helps distinguish which pressing it is without taking the records out.

And can it hurt the shelf life of the gatefolds?

Do you keep them on and just split the sides or take them off, and why?

Maybe I'm too new, but... this is trolling/dumb? He's asking whether you remove the plastic wrap or just open it to get records out and then leave it on. Right?

If it's just shrink wrap, I get rid of it. I don't really care about stickers that just label the vinyl color or whatnot. But some albums come with a larger sleeve, which is what I store my records in anyway. Dopethrone comes like this, and the actual lettering is on the outer sleeve rather than the gatefold. So in that case, I like keeping the original packaging. But it already tore. So... w/e, I'll eventually get rid of it and replace it with one of my generic sleeves. Doesn't make much difference to me!

If the corners are tight it can do more damage than good.

I take it off everything I buy, and if there are stickers I cut them out of the plastic and put them in the sleeves like inserts.  That way I still have them. 

You're missing out on every gatefold if you don't take the shrinkwrap off. Why would you do this?

It's a very serious thread. I've debated taking off all the plastic wraps. Only ones with stickers are sill there, and ya I'm missing out on gatefolds. Since gatefolds are thick I worry about their corners and seam splitting.

CDs I've always opened and put the stickers inside.

I'll add I have a "collector" brain so think of value. I only keep ones with stickers (not like a dot with the blue written in pen).

I'm sure SEALED ones that have a good value are good to keep sealed, like promos

If the corners are tight it can do more damage than good.

I take it off everything I buy, and if there are stickers I cut them out of the plastic and put them in the sleeves like inserts.  That way I still have them. 

You're missing out on every gatefold if you don't take the shrinkwrap off. Why would you do this?

I do that too.

I don't understand the hate, especially coming from a community that values buying multiple copies of the same album (variant collectors). Not saying anything against that, but I just think it's a bit hypocritical to be bashing this guy/thread because he likes collecting/preserving the original packaging. After all, isn't the physical aspect of vinyl one of the reasons we all enjoy vinyl? 

But again, back on topic, I saw a video a while ago of a guy going through some albums he bought, all were old LPs that still had the shrink wrap on them (opened on the sides). They were all still in perfect condition. Granted, none were gatefolds. 

I don't understand the hate, especially coming from a community that values buying multiple copies of the same album (variant collectors). Not saying anything against that, but I just think it's a bit hypocritical to be bashing this guy/thread because he likes collecting/preserving the original packaging. After all, isn't the physical aspect of vinyl one of the reasons we all enjoy vinyl? 

But again, back on topic, I saw a video a while ago of a guy going through some albums he bought, all were old LPs that still had the shrink wrap on them (opened on the sides). They were all still in perfect condition. Granted, none were gatefolds. 

new guy is new

Whenever I read a response like this while on mobile, I bet myself a million dollars that the person is new...then I switch to full version to see if I was right....and let's just put it this way....I'm rich bitch!!!!

Maybe I'm too new, but... this is trolling/dumb? He's asking whether you remove the plastic wrap or just open it to get records out and then leave it on. Right?

If it's just shrink wrap, I get rid of it. I don't really care about stickers that just label the vinyl color or whatnot. But some albums come with a larger sleeve, which is what I store my records in anyway. Dopethrone comes like this, and the actual lettering is on the outer sleeve rather than the gatefold. So in that case, I like keeping the original packaging. But it already tore. So... w/e, I'll eventually get rid of it and replace it with one of my generic sleeves. Doesn't make much difference to me!

If you haven't noticed, pompous elitism runs rampant here. I just ignore them.

I always take them off gatefolds, but leave them on otherwise

If you haven't noticed, pompous elitism runs rampant here. 

I really don't think this instance has anything to do with pompous elitism.  I usually find that to be saved for when a newbie buys a Crosley, or asks why his 7" record has a massive hole in the middle.  Almost everyone here buys these records to listen to them.  If some guy comes in here saying he's not opening his records to preserve value, well no shit there's going to be some controversy.  I'm sure you could find Republican forums out there.  Go post about loving Obamacare and try to not get called a troll/stupid.

And please no one bother with the classic, "they're his records he can do what he wants with them" answer.  

(Also I'm taking no stance on the subject, just saying why I feel he has received some shit)