Vinyl wrappers

Straight from the "New To Vinyl FAQ" Thread

12. Should I leave my shrink wrap on? Will it lose value if I take it off?

Many listeners have observed that shrink wrap will warp the corners of your record if left on for many years. However, this claim could be confounded by the fact that many old records that still contain shrink wrap have sat in stores/inventory for years and thus well handled by customers. Removing shrink wrap usually does not affect resale value; however, in some cases such as Misfits Collection II, the shrink wrap may contain the logo and title of the record in sticker form and thus be sought after by collectors.

So then, why is the thread dumb? Does this same thread pop up every other day or something? I said on my first post here that I was new, but asides from people saying "dumb thread," I don't understand what the issue is. Sorry for being new?

This is a vinyl records forum, beware the dominant alpha male that lurks!

nerd.jpg

Thanks for the actual real answers.

I've opened all but one record and that's a promotional pressing. I have left them on with the thought of value still in mind. I listen to them but a lot of money goes into these so value is still important to retain.

The FAQ doesn't really answer much, I'm not worried about warping, I store them all properly and have never had issues. Value, like it says sometimes did Mayer like the misfits.

I only have kept ones with exclusive color stickers (like hot topics) or if the sticker has something about the band and/or album

Thanks for the actual real answers.

I've opened all but one record and that's a promotional pressing. I have left them on with the thought of value still in mind. I listen to them but a lot of money goes into these so value is still important to retain.

The FAQ doesn't really answer much, I'm not worried about warping, I store them all properly and have never had issues. Value, like it says sometimes did Mayer like the misfits.

I only have kept ones with exclusive color stickers (like hot topics) or if the sticker has something about the band and/or album

Here's a word of caution. Around these here parts, talk about buying records and collecting them with the mindset of having & retaining their value, as thusly you have mentioned, will get you flamed and shit on big time.

If you're buying this music with the intent of keeping it for added monetary value somewhere sometime down the road, you will get told ad nauseum that you're doing it all wrong.

Tread lightly.

Making VC look like a bunch of tards one dumb ass thread at a time.

It's worse that users simply don't ignore threads which upset them, but consistently bump them with edgy comments until they mutate into typical VC nonsense. It'd be a nice change to see newer users not get ambushed whenever they ask a 'silly' question, don't ya think? Everyone was new to this at one point or another. Expect for Hipster.

Here's a word of caution. Around these here parts, talk about buying records and collecting them with the mindset of having & retaining their value, as thusly you have mentioned, will get you flamed and shit on big time.

If you're buying this music with the intent of keeping it for added monetary value somewhere sometime down the road, you will get told ad nauseum that you're doing it all wrong.

Tread lightly.

Welcome to the Wild West, cowboy. We don't take kinldy to flippers 'round these parts, ya' hear?

I always just cut the opening and leave the shrink wrap on, whether there are stickers or not. The only time I don't is when I have to take it off (like those pre-perforated sleeves that RTI uses). In that case, I will cut the stickers off of the sleeve and keep them in the jacket.

"Leaving the shrink wrap on causes damage" (to anything) is BS. I've bought many old used records with the original shrink wrap still on and the sleeves were perfect.

I used to leave the shrink wrap on all of my non-gatefolds, and recently I went back and took all of them off. Decided I'd rather be looking at the album art clearly than nasty light reflections.

Just take the stickers off the shrink wrap, put them on the poly bag in the same position(s), and bob's your uncle. 

I used to leave the shrink wrap on all of my non-gatefolds, and recently I went back and took all of them off. Decided I'd rather be looking at the album art clearly than nasty light reflections.

Just take the stickers off the shrink wrap, put them on the poly bag in the same position(s), and bob's your uncle.

this is what I'm thinking. And i posted this partly because I want to better see the album and gatefolds