shit people say that you can't stand

My roommate is a young kid- early 20's, and hip to the tumblr and whatnot. I give him credit for always being open to trying new artists/movies/shows, etc. But he has this extremely obnoxious way of assuming that things weren't popular before his discovery.

On the topic of wrestling yesterday, he tried saying that the WWE has never had such cultural significance before. And aside from the attitude era and all that, I'm just like "uhhhh.. Wrestlemania 1. The entire show was a celebrity ball washing."

And my other roommate does this thing where she'll bitch about someone hashtagging a post too much. And then will proceed to read off every single tag, while saying hashtag for each one. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

It's as simple as knowing the English language.

Yeah, I'm aware of that. But the English language is always evolving and changing. I don't use the word "vinyl" but other people do, whether it's correct to do so or not. I have more of an issue with people getting antsy and pompous saying "vinyl is the plural of vinyl" than people getting the plural wrong.

I'm serious about the tapes thing. It's pretty similar, but no-one seems to bat an eyelid when people say "I bought some new tapes" but everyone loses their shit if people say "I bought some new vinyl". The tape is the medium, and not the noun... exactly like "vinyl".

New album on tape/vinyl.

I got some new tapes/vinyl

No-one says "I collect tape" in the same way someone might say "I collect vinyl".

Yeah, I'm aware of that. But the English language is always evolving and changing. I don't use the word "vinyl" but other people do, whether it's correct to do so or not. I have more of an issue with people getting antsy and pompous saying "vinyl is the plural of vinyl" than people getting the plural wrong.

I'm serious about the tapes thing. It's pretty similar, but no-one seems to bat an eyelid when people say "I bought some new tapes" but everyone loses their shit if people say "I bought some new vinyl". The tape is the medium, and not the noun... exactly like "vinyl".

New album on tape/vinyl.

I got some new tapes/vinyl

No-one says "I collect tape" in the same way someone might say "I collect vinyl".

I really don't think you are understanding that it is a grammar issue and not about what the medium is, or no matter how the english language evolves, plural forms of words will not change.

The plural form of deer will never be deers.

The plural form of moose will never be mooses.

The plural form of vinyl will not be vinyl(s). (Or in the case of that one poster, "vinyl's", possessive form.)

Your tape analogy is incorrect. The plural form is tapes. You either have one tape, or multiple tapes. It doesn't matter that the tape is the medium, just like it doesn't matter that vinyl is the medium. To say "I bought some new vinyl" is fine. To say "I bought some new vinyl(s)" is incorrect.

It's the internet. Are you really surprised people will point out other people's mistakes? Specially on a board where 90% of the posters do use correct grammar.

I really don't think you are understanding that it is a grammar issue and not about what the medium is, or no matter how the english language evolves, plural forms of words will not change.

The plural form of deer will never be deers.

The plural form of moose will never be mooses.

The plural form of vinyl will not be vinyl(s). (Or in the case of that one poster, "vinyl's", possessive form.)

Your tape analogy is incorrect. The plural form is tapes. You either have one tape, or multiple tapes. It doesn't matter that the tape is the medium, just like it doesn't matter that vinyl is the medium. To say "I bought some new vinyl" is fine. To say "I bought some new vinyl(s)" is incorrect.

It's the internet. Are you really surprised people will point out other people's mistakes? Specially on a board where 90% of the posters do use correct grammar.

I do understand it's a grammar issue, but what I'm referring to is the changing of the language. "vinyl" is definitely incorrect, and I don't doubt that - that's not the problem I have. But enough people say it for me to not give a shit any more. I used the example of tapes because presumably the term "tapes" came around as shorthand for "cassette tapes" (but I guess the equivalent here would be "vinyl records" turning into "records"). Using the term "tape" instead of "cassette" obviously entered common parlance because now everyone uses it. I mean, no-one says "I bought some new tape" even though that would be technically correct.

I'm not at all surprised people will point out people's mistakes (especially here...) but it still grips my shit when I see/hear people who would rather point out the error than just carry on a conversation. It's the elitism more than anything.

I do understand it's a grammar issue, but what I'm referring to is the changing of the language. "vinyl" is definitely incorrect, and I don't doubt that - that's not the problem I have. But enough people say it for me to not give a shit any more. I used the example of tapes because presumably the term "tapes" came around as shorthand for "cassette tapes" (but I guess the equivalent here would be "vinyl records" turning into "records"). Using the term "tape" instead of "cassette" obviously entered common parlance because now everyone uses it. I mean, no-one says "I bought some new tape" even though that would be technically correct.

I'm not at all surprised people will point out people's mistakes (especially here...) but it still grips my shit when I see/hear people who would rather point out the error than just carry on a conversation. It's the elitism more than anything.

No one says "tape" as plural because it is incorrect. You are over thinking this entire thing. People use the term "vinyl" to refer to multiple records because it is the correct term. People would use "tapes" in referring to multiple cassettes because that is the correct plural term. It is really that simple.

"On fleek" is just terrible, it's neither particularly evocative, nor does it roll off the tongue. It just calls attention to itself, the centerpiece of a sentence that didn't need to be said. Seriously, anybody that says it should just shut up for a year. It's the kind of thing said by people who talk too much in the first place.