Is this guy trying to rip me off?

I never do these type of threads, but long story short, I sold a record (Dehtklok picture disc) to a guy in US for rather cheap (retail price basically). Dude was super OCD (spent at least an hour replying to his questions initially) - no problem, thought that was cool, Im the same way. What he was very concerned about is that whether the record was in good shape or not (it was new), didnt care about the small split on the jacket or the corner dings (I had supersize images in the auction anyway). 

So now he received the record and to my surprise, the record is supposedly chipped (out of all options). I re-used a amazon.com record mailer and shipped from Europe. Is the chipping like this even possible? Just look at the pictures. Basically, the guy is asking all of his money or most of it back. Right when I asked to send me more pictures of the chipping (different angles), I have had no more replies.

Now, I dont want to be an ass, but I have a feeling that either this guy is not sending me pictures of the record I sent him or he is smothering some paper glue on this in the bathroom. He started to threaten with bad feedback off the bat with his first message. The inner sleeve is also supposedly split on all three possible sides, I can believe the bottom split, but the others seem shady. The last pictures is supposedly showing how the record was poking out from the inner sleeve when he opened the package, lol.

Screen_shot_2014_03_29_at_8_20_30_AM.png

Screen_shot_2014_03_29_at_8_20_40_AM.png

Screen_shot_2014_03_29_at_8_20_11_AM.png

Screen_shot_2014_03_29_at_8_20_20_AM.png

The record I sent him was mint. If I would ask him to send it back, I would lose about 35 USD in total (the initial shipping and return shipping, haha).

I wouldnt be bothered with this at all, but what makes me sick to the stomach, is that I gave him a great deal to begin with (the record is actually worth three times that I asked).

This guy definitely seems like a pain in the ass. I have quite a few records I've bought over the years that have problems on the outer edge but it doesn't affect playback so it's a non issue to me. I also get a laugh out of people who cry over split inner sleeves. I'm sorry you have to deal with one of these types of buyers. The unfortunate fact is that the buyer usually wins these situations (especially if it's eBay/PayPal involved). Let us know what happens.

The record I sent him was mint. If I would ask him to send it back, I would lose about 35 USD in total (the initial shipping and return shipping, haha).

I wouldnt be bothered with this at all, but what makes me sick to the stomach, is that I gave him a great deal to begin with (the record is actually worth three times that I asked).

I sold a record worth about 100$ many many months ago. The guy claimed the album sleeve was damaged in the process of shipping. He wanted me to give him half a refund. (I Sent it priority) which has up to 50$ insurance. The dick wanted me to pay him 50$ and I told him to show me the photographs and he waited 4 days before devising a plan to either jam the sleeve himself or photoshop it (he was a photographer btw, I searched his name and found his website same guy same state, city and everything Tennessee) So I call him out on his BS through Email and tell him to just return the record. He changed his tune soon after, as many VC'ers told me he would do. He just quit replying altogether and left me negative feedback. 

Ebay removed it later on and took the hold off my funds. What the scammer wanted to do was get this record for free. He wanted to use the insurance to pay 50$ and then get 50$ from me for the refund and he would've gotten a rare record for free. Some collectors are just dicks like that and I don't know how they live with themselves. Tell the guy you will pay to get it shipped back, I bet you he will meet you somewhere in the middle and just say, "screw it, it doesn't affect playability anyways" Hell judging from the photograph it has white marks that look like they can be rubbed off. Sometimes you gotta talk to these buyers like they are kids, give them a little alpha male and they'll quit toying around with you.

Being realistic. It's not uncommon for this type of damage to happen to the sleeve , not sure about the chip. But regardless it's chipped now. Your best bet is to offer a discount w/ the understanding this will satisfy them. The other option is to tell him to fuck off, you get negative feedback. They file an A-Z claim with amazon, win, and now you're out the record, you have bad feed back, and you're out the cash too. You're best bet is not to ship over seas. It's too much of a pain in the neck.

if he wants his money back, he's responsible for shipping the item back and all charges that come with it including tracking #

if he wants his money back, he's responsible for shipping the item back and all charges that come with it including tracking #

Only if he simply doesn't want it anymore. IF it's damaged / defective the seller is responsible for the return shipping.

You can put up all of these fights if you want but after selling on amazon for years it's not worth the fight. A-Z claims are tough to win.

Offer a discount or cut your losses. Unfortunately it's the cost of doing business.

If you got a damaged LP from HotTopic do you think they'd expect your to pay for return shipping? No

Only if he simply doesn't want it anymore. IF it's damaged / defective the seller is responsible for the return shipping.

You can put up all of these fights if you want but after selling on amazon for years it's not worth the fight. A-Z claims are tough to win.

Offer a discount or cut your losses. Unfortunately it's the cost of doing business.

If you got a damaged LP from HotTopic do you think they'd expect your to pay for return shipping? No

hence IF he wants His money back.

Fuck this guy. This is bullshit and shit like this happens all the time with ebay. Minor cosmetic damage, split seams, corner dings happen when you ship a record for one part of the world to another, but douchebags like this one feel entitled to nothing short of perfection or they expect a discount/complete refund.

Alright, the guy sent me some pictures of the damage yesterday again and this is the reason he wanted HALF or ALL of his money back:

Screen_shot_2014_03_30_at_7_29_10_PM.png

I think its easy to imagine how that damage got there. I offered him a 10 USD refund (the total with shipping was 49 USD), he was still justifying himself but agreed in the end.