PO: THE MARS VOLTA De-loused In The Comatorium 2LP

Why the fuck are labels still doing printed inner sleeves?

poly-lined or gtfo

Yes and yes.  The last Sly Vinyl release arrived with beautiful variants housed in sleek, poly-lined, black paper sleeves.  I wish this was the case for every record, ever.  Even if the printed sleeve looks cool as hell, 100% of the time it ends up becoming a double-sided insert after I slip the vinyl into a legitimate sleeve.

Hi

Thanks for your mail.

I’m sorry but we don’t have any replacement sleeves, you should try to clear this with the shop where you’ve bought it.

Our records leave the plant in mint condition, this is clearly a transport issue.

I’m sorry

All the best

Music On Vinyl

No big deal. They just manufactured it. Too difficult to make extras I guess?

Man, people bitching about splits on inner sleeves? Emailing the company with the hopes they'll replace said inner sleeves? Whining and vowing not to support a distro because they wouldn't take your records out of the package to avoid seam splits before shipping?

This board sometimes, sheesh...

Not quite sure where the hostility is coming from. All I did was send some pics of my torn sleeves and asked if they had any extras. The sleeves are pretty damn nice, being printed and all. It didn't seem that far fetched to think they might have some replacements. I mean, if they did have extras I would've paid for them + shipping. Wasn't asking for anything free. And just wanted to see if they would actually reply to my email.

There was nothing hostile about my post. But my general annoyance stems from the overall enflamed sense of entitlement displayed on this board as of late (not just in this thread), especially with regard to packaging complaints, corner dings, seam splits, shipping policies and practices, etc. Only on this board do you have people consistently complaining about these things and what else labels/distros owe to them once they hand over their money for an album. Let me say, that it's in my humble opinion, you aren't owed anything other than an album in the mail. Condition is not guaranteed, and nowhere does it state that on the sites that you purchase from.

Reading the threads on this board, it's hard to believe that there were once (and still are) people out there who buy records to put them on a turntable and listen to and not because it's on a super cool color, or as a "collector's item" that they deserve to have arrive to them in mint condition. And god forbid if the jacket has a crease or a bend, or an inner sleeve has a split, I know I would have such a hard time enjoying the music if that were to happen to me. I really have a lot of sympathy for all of you and your corner dings.

There was nothing hostile about my post. But my general annoyance stems from the overall enflamed sense of entitlement displayed on this board as of late (not just in this thread), especially with regard to packaging complaints, corner dings, seam splits, shipping policies and practices, etc. Only on this board do you have people consistently complaining about these things and what else labels/distros owe to them once they hand over their money for an album. Let me say, that it's in my humble opinion, you aren't owed anything other than an album in the mail. Condition is not guaranteed, and nowhere does it state that on the sites that you purchase from.

Reading the threads on this board, it's hard to believe that there were once (and still are) people out there who buy records to put them on a turntable and listen to and not because it's on a super cool color, or as a "collector's item" that they deserve to have arrive to them in mint condition. And god forbid if the jacket has a crease or a bend, or an inner sleeve has a split, I know I would have such a hard time enjoying the music if that were to happen to me. I really have a lot of sympathy for all of you and your corner dings.

agreed for the most part...it doesn't matter to me but it's kind of tough to tell someone they're being ridiculous when they drop $45 on a "new" record and the sleeves are all torn up

Guest stl_ben.

agreed for the most part...it doesn't matter to me but it's kind of tough to tell someone they're being ridiculous when they drop $45 on a "new" record and it comes banged up

That's the thing though... What yanquiuxo and I are replying to isn't that they record is banged up, or even that the cover has a ding. It's that these people are complaining about split inner sleeves.

Guess what.

Even if the record had been shipped in sleeve/outside of the cover as requested...it still would have been inside the inner sleeve which most likely would still be split anyway. He never said anywhere that he had a legit cover split, just his paper inner sleeve.

If these guys are saying they requested the record be shipped outside of both the inner sleeve and the cover, I wouldn't ship like that either, that's a great way for the record to arrive scratched.

i see both sides of the coin here. the fact is, it's stupid that labels still package records in printed inner sleeves. they're more expensive and when they're super thin paper like this record, they're guaranteed to tear. labels who aren't stupid and don't want to hear tons of complaints ship them in regular inner sleeves and include an insert if it's necessary. i always put my records in new sleeves anyway. 

the thing that frustrates me about my copy, is that the record tore right through the inner sleeves and the outside jacket, when it was $40 fuckin dollars. there's nothing wrong with complaining about that. it's shit and completely avoidable. do i think the store i bought it from owes me anything? no. that's ridiculous. do i think the label has had these issues in the past and done nothing to resolve it because they don't give a fuck? yes. yes i do.

Guest stl_ben.

i see both sides of the coin here. the fact is, it's stupid that labels still package records in printed inner sleeves. they're more expensive and when they're super thin paper like this record, they're guaranteed to tear. labels who aren't stupid and don't want to hear tons of complaints ship them in regular inner sleeves and include an insert if it's necessary. i always put my records in new sleeves anyway. 

the thing that frustrates me about my copy, is that the record tore right through the inner sleeves and the outside jacket, when it was $40 fuckin dollars. there's nothing wrong with complaining about that. it's shit and completely avoidable. do i think the store i bought it from owes me anything? no. that's ridiculous. do i think the label has had these issues in the past and done nothing to resolve it because they don't give a fuck? yes. yes i do.

That's the difference here though. I thought that was made pretty clear in my previous posts, but maybe not.

These other guys are complaining that their inner sleeves are ripped, not their cover jackets.

While, yes, that's a bummer. I'd never consider bitching about my inner sleeve being torn...I can't imagine the record somehow ripped them down the front, just out the sides...so why can't they do like you do and just put them in there as inserts with a new inner around their record instead of whining about a piece of paper that was torn by heavy plastic.

I've been trying to make people aware of MOV's cheap packaging for some time but all anyone wants to hear is "Amazing!", and "top notch", "etc.

I get what the rant is about. Lots of things on this site get to me after the same is done over and over, and dings, bends, dents, and seam splits are something we have to accept to a degree with physical media, but that still doesn't make it ok for the companies involved in the product to wash their hands of or act like there is nothing they can do about it, especially at the prices MOV charge. Premium price for standard product. That's MOV for you.

Guest stl_ben.

With the amount of complaining in this thread, we gotta be getting close to the cat and WWF gifs phase of pre-thread lock, right?

Ghost of Randy Savage got banned for that...so probably not unless someone else wants to do it. 

I can say with 100% surety that had he not gotten in trouble for it, this would be the next thread to get that treatment though.

Who's whining?  I made mention of my seam splits on the inner sleeves but I'm really not super angry about it.  I think the thin paper printed inners were ok back in the day when records weren't as commonly shipped all over the place until it gets into the hands of the customer, but these days the thick inners are definitely best to avoid those issues.

My big thing there in the beginning was that my records sounded like dogshit, but I've already figured out why and it's a non-issue now.  I don't even use the included inner sleeves, every new record I get goes into a mofi inner.  :D

Man, people bitching about splits on inner sleeves? Emailing the company with the hopes they'll replace said inner sleeves? Whining and vowing not to support a distro because they wouldn't take your records out of the package to avoid seam splits before shipping?

This board sometimes, sheesh...

yanquiuxo has a point, if you have issues with the product then you should contact the place you bought it. Bringing it to VC won't solve the issue and bumps/fills this thread with rather unhelpful comments.

Before anything gets absolutely derailed, let's move on from this. No need to turn this into a 'thing'.

I don't even use the included inner sleeves, every new record I get goes into a mofi inner. :D

Wise man!

I seem to be pretty much outnumbered here when I say that I bought this in a record store and could choose between six copies which one to take home. How come almost everybody here is getting their records per mailorder?

Well for me, it's because:

1. It's an import, technically
  2. My nearest record store is 30 minutes away
  3. Ordering online ensures that I receive a copy; my record store may not have it in stock
  4. I know the price if I order it online
  5. The preorder went up well before I would even consider looking for it online.

Now don't get me wrong-I love going to a record store to make impulse buys and support 'em, but for "special" releases like this I want to make sure I get my grubby paws on a copy.