Brand New - Deja Entendu

Hey guys,

I've never gone early on an RSD before but am planning on going as early as necessary to snag this on Saturday. Can anyone with experience/greater knowledge than me offer advice on a safe time to arrive in advance to give myself the best shot? The store I'm headed to opens at 8am.

Thanks!

If you're in a big city, you'd be best to get to the store around or even before 5AM. Smaller stores will be a niche though, my area's pretty small so the store I often go to us safe to have a line up start an hour before hand. Just a luck of the draw in most cases, FB could be your friend if the store makes an event to see how many people respond to it; just a basic litmus test that could help. 

Ended up pre-ordering from B&N thanks to the guy I was arguing with a page or two back. Decided it wasn't gonna be worth it to camp for the RSD release as the only store by me is a pretty popular one and i'm sure it will have a big line. Anyway best of luck to everyone going for RSD version. Sorry for causing arguing on thread, wasn't trying to be an asshole.

Someone said reckless? I was able to go to a record store, get everything I want and then go to reckless to see what they had and the line was still moving

Yeah I got to Reckless on Milwaukee about three hours before they opened last year and was like 30-40 in line. Still managed to get almost everything I wanted though. Debating going to some place smaller...

So time for a wild guess

Everyone has been saying the knowgodsjustwork Instagram is a fan screwing with everyone. Yesterday it posted a video with the numbers 6 and 5 popping up. Just a little while a video was posted with super fast text appearing and reappearing and also a number 4. Could it be counting down to something. Assuming tomorrow will be 3, Saturday 2 ect that leaves 0 on Monday 4/20. Wasn't 420 significant to brand new? Someone's favorite number even though they don't smoke or something? What do you think? Too far of a reach?

The standard non-RSD pressing of this that's coming out soon is already on sell hold through our store distributor, which means the entire pressing (or the quantity of the pressing going into stores) is pretty much accounted for.

Tell tumblr & watch the internet implode

Tell tumblr & watch the internet implode

I mean, I'm not denying that this will be pretty easy to come across initially when it comes out.  I just wouldn't overestimate how widely available it will actually be.  I wouldn't be surprised if once this first repress is gone, it takes a little while to see it on shelves again.  Just look at what happens every time Triple Crown represses Devil & God.  It's easy to get for a month or two, then goes out of print for a while.

aw you poor guy. You should have asked them to write down a list of your wants, and call you right back when they found out exactly what they get. Record store employees love that around RSD and dealing with entitled pricks all for the tune of minimum wage. A local shop near me doesn't participate in RSD purely so he doesn't have to deal with the crybaby RSD crowd calling and calling and calling and people getting mad that he didn't receive certain items or doesn't know if he will get certain items even 2 days before, all like every aspect of any bad time had associated with RSD is his fault.

Have you ever worked retail? Because I've been at it for 10 years, and the service I received was sub-par. If someone can't handle the hype around 1 day a year without becoming short tempered, they have no business dealing with customers.

But go ahead and keep acting like I'm in the wrong for trying to ask a simple question.

The standard non-RSD pressing of this that's coming out soon is already on sell hold through our store distributor, which means the entire pressing (or the quantity of the pressing going into stores) is pretty much accounted for.

Its on a sell hold, but its not a limited press. It will be repressed and more will be available.

Have you ever worked retail? Because I've been at it for 10 years, and the service I received was sub-par. If someone can't handle the hype around 1 day a year without becoming short tempered, they have no business dealing with customers.

But go ahead and keep acting like I'm in the wrong for trying to ask a simple question.

As a fellow retail employee, nothing rubs me quite as bad as saying "I work retail and the service was terrible" - you didn't get a "service," you just called a store with an annoying question. That makes you a shitty customer and nothing more.

The whole purpose of RSD *used to be* thst you would go and camp out and you would be surprised with what the store had and hopefully pick up several other titles to help support. I would be livid too if I had 5 million whiny Brand New fans CALLING ME every day for months.

The worst part of a customer is thinking that they are the only one who has a thought or a need and that every retail slave should bow to it.

Just show up, get in line, cross your fingers, and buy a stack of records. If you don't get Deja, just buy the other retail version. It's not a challenging concept.

Here's the thing.  People who work retail are, like, working 4-6 hour shifts.  That's, like, a LONG time to be interacting and dealing with customers.  Maybe if you were someone who came in during the first hour, it'd make sense that they wouldn't already be infuriated by your presence in their store.  But by hour 2 or, like, 3, they've been talking to customers for 2-3 hours.  When you come in and ask a question, they are tired of customers.  Also, you are a whiner.  I know this because it makes more sense that all randomly selected customers who enter a shop would be whiners rather than one employee complaining about all those customers would be poor at knowing their responsibilities as a retail worker.  Also, I'm angry and you are a thing on the internet I can attempt to knock down and undress to make myself feel nominally better.

I wish that when I had worked retail it had been some place independently owned.  I would've been a way bigger dick than I was working for a corporate store where customer complaints actually held weight.  You always had to mask your irritation as best as possible and it sucked.

And I do know what it's like to constantly get the same phone call all goddamn day... super annoying.