Paypal wants a copy of your social, photo id, and a utility bill!

Just logged into my account and got a message that paypal needs me to upload my social, copy of driver's license, and a utility bill to their system. The guy I talked to said unless this is provided by the end of the year I will no longer be able to use paypal! Anybody else out there dealing with this. I find it unbelievable that this is now a requirement.

Edit. It happened to me after trying to add funds to my pp account from my linked bank account.

just logged in to check. didnt ask me. Seems like a lot. Credit card companies don't require copies of your license or a utility bill, but I wouldn't have a problem with paypal requiring anything a credit card application does. Probably just means better protection for the people who aren't being scammers.

Google Wallet did the same shit to me two weeks ago.  My buddy sent me a $20 transaction using Google Wallet and they wanted all of that same documentation to log in to my account... I spoke to a rep and he was basically saying "Sorry if this inconveniences you but we are all about security." I told him I'd be more interested in signing up for the service and then worrying about the security of it.

30 mins later I told him I'd never give that information to a company who wasn't offering me a job and told him to forget it.  Returned the Google Wallet $20 to my friend and he handed me a $20 bill the next day.

Fuck you sometimes, technology.

Seems like a small hassle to me that I'll deal with to stick it to the people who make a living off eBay/paypal fraud.

Your social security number is used by lots of people. If someone steals your identity, the banks eat the bill. It's a pain in the ass when it happens, but not something you should live in fear of.