MAN ADVICE v2.0

I know we’ve touched on dating someone who likes the same music as you do, but I feel there is a real validity to wanting that. I always went for someone who was more into ‘alternative’ types of music. Doesn’t even have to be similar artists, just something in the same vein. Did I see myself ending up with someone who says they loooooveee mainstream top 40s and nothing else, not really. I know this about myself, I know I probably wouldn’t get along with someone who bumps Iggy Azalea all the time. Or people who say “I just don’t get into music”. I automatically know we would not be compatible in several areas of our lives. Does this seem judgmental as fuck on the surface? Yes. but as I get older I just don’t have time to wade through the bullshit anymore.

Most likely, someone who’s into the punk/indie scene will have similar views on life as me. We will MOST LIKELY have the same ideals (gay marriage, pro choice, etc), and moral compass to an extent, and that is huge.

It's just a lot easier for a woman who likes indie and punk music to find a guy with similar tastes. Look around the concerts you go to. The guy/girl ratio is usually somewhere between 5/1 and 20/1, depending on the band and venue.

It's not insurmountable. It just makes things a lot tougher for the guys.

if music is your absolute thing, then i think its important.

if kids are, then find someone sharing those beliefs too.

its just ranking whats truly important, what you believe and either meeting at the top or somewhere in the middle.

unless they fall below the line of 'we good, we chill' then its a deal breaker.

I like when there is some musical common ground and some differences. If I wanted to date someone exactly like me I'd just date Blade.

Honestly, my girlfriend hates a lot of what I listen to and all of her criticisms are pretty valid. She'll still go to shows with me and protect me in the pit and tolerate my record buying.

Like the people you like.

Don't like the people you don't like.

The media you both consume will play a role in the relationship or it won't.

Everything will fall in place or it won't. 

You'll stay together forever or you won't. 

Sometimes people fuck up and miss out by setting too many standards.

Sometimes people score because of the standards they set.

The idea is to not think so much and just love and fuck and bond and shit.

when I was super into post-rock (not as much now) she came into the office and said "why do you listen to songs with no words?"

I said that it expands my imagination. writes its own story every single time. it revisits parts of my memories I enjoy going too.

she called me an idiot and left the room to finish her episode of Teen Mom.

Out of the major serious relationships I've had with women in my life they've all had horrible tastes in music... Yeah I know different strokes for different folks.. but these women were into bat shit bad stuff... music is a big part of my life and I find that these days when I meet someone who shares common interests with me music wise it's a lot easier to connect.

My long distance relationship involved a lot of back and forth mix tapes, with each of us keen on introducing the other to something new, while also being super sappy. It was a whole lotta fun.

And right now, I'm just waiting for the right time to send a certain lady this song, because it might as well be the background music of all the time that we're spending together.

When I met my ex girlfriend in high school (who was first a really good friend before we started dating a year later) it was entirely sparked by musical tastes. Hell, most of the friends I had revolved around similar music tastes. It's just what drew us together as friends.

Ive had one serious relationship, was with my girlfriend for about 6yrs. And we really liked the same kind of music, movies, books, beer. It was fucking awesome. AND she enjoyed buying records and just hanging out at a record store. And going to most of the same shows, and watching awesome movies. Honestly the main reason we lasted together so long.

So my manager (also one of my best friends) just told the biggest babe at Freddie's that I have a crush on her. She blushed and explained how she was just telling her coworker how attractive she thought the "new butcher guy" is.

Holy mother of god. I think Stella just got her groove back.

Edit: She also has the whole side of her head tattooed. I might be in love already. Jk.