MAN ADVICE v2.0

It's pretty common for divorcees to keep the name. Why go through the hassle of changing it? It's really no big deal.

And from someone who has witnessed their dad go through two divorces, you don't know what you're talking about. My dad is seriously just an incredible man doing what he thought was best for my sisters and I. His current girlfriend is amazing, and loves him and all his baggage (aka 6 kids including me).

By the way? People who haven't been divorced have baggage from past relationships too.

everyone has baggage. particularly the people in this thread who outright admit they are damaged. having baggage doesn't necessarily make you a bad person.

keeping an ex's name after divorce is a very visual indication of baggage. no one goes through a divorce unscathed.

maybe she hates paperwork? she didn't hate it enough to get it changed in the first place.

why go through the hassle of changing it? because their marriage failed. it was legally nullified. they no longer want to be together.

does she still wear her wedding ring?

everyone has baggage. particularly the people in this thread who outright admit they are damaged. having baggage doesn't necessarily make you a bad person.

keeping an ex's name after divorce is a very visual indication of baggage. no one goes through a divorce unscathed.

maybe she hates paperwork? she didn't hate it enough to get it changed in the first place.

why go through the hassle of changing it? because their marriage failed. it was legally nullified. they no longer want to be together.

does she still wear her wedding ring?

You deserve nothing but your bitter and weirdly incorrect self. Who the fuck thinks like this? Are you Mitt Romney?

to all the people citing paperwork and money, a woman can restore her maiden name easily (and for free) if she includes a formal order to do so during divorce filings. in many states, it can still be done easily and for free after the fact.

many women want to restore their maiden name after a divorce, which is why they make it so easy to do during a divorce proceeding.

a guy asked a question and i provided my two cents.

lol at the person who called me mitt romney.

to all the people citing paperwork and money, a woman can restore her maiden name easily (and for free) if she includes a formal order to do so during divorce filings. in many states, it can still be done easily and for free after the fact.

many women want to restore their maiden name after a divorce, which is why they make it so easy to do during a divorce proceeding.

a guy asked a question and i provided my two cents.

lol at the person who called me mitt romney.

Like Mitt Romney, your opinions demonstrate a complete lack of empathy and make you sound stupider than (I assume) you are.

Divorce isn't generally a proud moment in people's lives.  About 6 months ago, I (involuntarily) exited a 15 year relationship.  I wasn't in a hurry to advertise to everybody I know (and do not know) that my relationship failed. 

I happen to be a dude and I wasn't married, but if those things weren't true, I can't say I would be in a huge hurry to take a bureaucratic walk of shame following my already difficult situation.

To date, I haven't filed any paperwork to notify the government of my new-found "freedom".  I haven't called the Social Security Administration.  No visit to the DMV.  I did not broadcast it on Facebook and I cannot imagine having to file several requests with my company's IT team to let them know that I am now alone.

As someone who has her name mispronounced on a daily basis, I would totally keep the ex's last name. Who gives a shit, she obviously likes it and it makes her life easier. It doesn't mean she's still hung up on anything, and it doesn't mean she's crazy. Maybe things ended amicably between them,and they didn't. We don't know the details!

If my future wife (young and hopeful) has a last name that sounds awesome when shipped with my last name, I want to change our last names to be one and the same.  My last name is currently impossible to spell and pronounce for pretty much everyone, so it'd be so cool to change it to something that supported both of us.

for example: Vick + Raccuia (mine)  = Raccuvick  = just as hard to pronounce and just as awesome. 

As someone who has her name mispronounced on a daily basis, I would totally keep the ex's last name. Who gives a shit, she obviously likes it and it makes her life easier. It doesn't mean she's still hung up on anything, and it doesn't mean she's crazy. Maybe things ended amicably between them,and they didn't. We don't know the details!

She divorced him because he cheated on her.

It's been multiple years and was a clean break. No ongoing communication.

I really haven't pressed for more details beyond that. I don't really ever care to know details about people's past relationships. Rather not.

If my future wife (young and hopeful) has a last name that sounds awesome when shipped with my last name, I want to change our last names to be one and the same.  My last name is currently impossible to spell and pronounce for pretty much everyone, so it'd be so cool to change it to something that supported both of us.

for example: Vick + Raccuia (mine)  = Raccuvick  = just as hard to pronounce and just as awesome. 

I know a couple who did this - they combined the first part of his surname and the last part of hers, I think it's pretty cool.