OUT NOW: Coheed and Cambria - In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth: 3 Repress

You should feel bad knowing them!

NWFT is such a wobbly album in my books; even the avid Coheed fan in me couldn't stand behind it 100% at the peak of my appreciation. There are definitely some great tracks, but like all my music, I prefer to listen to it from start to finish... and the feeling it leaves me with is nowhere close to a full run-through of IKSOSE:3 or GA:V1. But YOTBR is an outright embarrassing effort from a band that's capable of writing SSTB, IKSOSE:3, etc. It would be excusable considering they had a different lineup for that album, but even with the original band members they churned out the Aftermans, and... yeah. I seem to be in the minority here, but I've given both those albums multiple chances to no avail. I will say that the first one is poppy as hell with some really good hooks – so it's got that going for it, I guess. But it also makes me cringe so goddamn bad. I think the concept (and interludes) with Sirius are super cheesy, and a massive step down from the creativity found in something like Good Apollo. And a few tracks make me ashamed to call myself a Coheed fan in 2014. Anyone hear that Hollywood The Cracked song? What an atrocity.

This is all just my opinion, so to each his own. But after a theoretical GA:V1 tour and press - hopefully - I think I'll be hopping off the Coheed train. They are unfortunately a completely different band as far as writing and producing new music. I'm at least grateful that their live game is still in great shape.

I'll say that SSTB is the clear winner in my book. Somehow I still don't have it on vinyl :/ I don't know if I like Good Apollo 1 or IKSSE3 better, but they're numbers 2 and 3, Good Apollo 2 is number 4 and the others don't exist as far as I'm concerned. Someday I'll check out Afterman stuff.

If you're feeling it, give Domino or Mothers of Men a listen. The Afterman albums were definitely an improvement over YOTBR.

No disagreement there as far as appeal goes. Mothers of Men, especially, is one of those tracks that latches on inside my head and doesn't let go for weeks at a time. Instantly more memorable than most anything on YOTBR alone. I think that Afterman installment sees Coheed and their strongest, as far as strong hooks and pop writing goes. I just always appreciated the band's ability to write more than shallow ear worms – a full album of A Favor House Atlantic or The Suffering would've deterred me early on.

I like to think everything I haven't listened to must be bad.

I never said I thought they were bad (YOTBR excluded because I did listen to it and didn't enjoy it.), I just haven't listened to stuff past it, enjoyed the storyline of the first 4 albums and pretend the others don't exist because I don't know their storylines.

even with the original band members they churned out the Aftermans

They don't have the same bassist for the Aftermans. Though, don't Claudio and Travis do the majority of writing anyways?

I think the concept (and interludes) with Sirius are super cheesy, and a massive step down from the creativity found in something like Good Apollo.

The earlier albums also had interludes and some dialogue as well though. If anything, I thought it was refreshing that they touched back on that.

Anyone hear that Hollywood The Cracked song? What an atrocity.

Fully agree. That's also how I feel about Number City. The Aftermans definitely are poppier and for me, they lack significant guitar solos/heavy parts from their earlier albums, but personally they're still a step up from YOTBR and keep me interested.

No disagreement there as far as appeal goes. Mothers of Men, especially, is one of those tracks that latches on inside my head and doesn't let go for weeks at a time. Instantly more memorable than most anything on YOTBR alone. I think that Afterman installment sees Coheed and their strongest, as far as strong hooks and pop writing goes. I just always appreciated the band's ability to write more than shallow ear worms – a full album of A Favor House Atlantic or The Suffering would've deterred me early on.

I am constantly on the same page as you. This is exactly how I feel. Though, like I said, I'm still interested and have hope that their next release gets less-poppy.

I always go back to the fact that Josh eppard is back and he was such a better fit for the band then Chris pennie was. And I think pennies a technically better drummer but his style didn't mesh as well as Josh does. Hence the reason the afterman. Is better than rainbow and GA2.

Honestly, I dug a fair amount of the stuff they did on YOTBR, but ultimately I rarely go back to it or GA2. I guess that's the true gauge of an album - how often you reach for it a few years down the road.

When the Afterman albums came out, it was like a breath of fresh air. Obviously Claudio and Travis do the bulk of the actual songwriting, but Josh Eppard's playing (and vocal harmonies!) are such a critical component to Coheed. Hearing him play on those records was like going home again. Sure, there may be a couple of missteps (looking at you, "Hollywood the Cracked"), but so much of those two records felt so right.

And if I'm being totally, legitimately serious, my favorite song on both records is "Evagria the Faithful". That song grooves so fucking hard.

Honestly, I dug a fair amount of the stuff they did on YOTBR, but ultimately I rarely go back to it or GA2. I guess that's the true gauge of an album - how often you reach for it a few years down the road.

When the Afterman albums came out, it was like a breath of fresh air. Obviously Claudio and Travis do the bulk of the actual songwriting, but Josh Eppard's playing (and vocal harmonies!) are such a critical component to Coheed. Hearing him play on those records was like going home again. Sure, there may be a couple of missteps (looking at you, "Hollywood the Cracked"), but so much of those two records felt so right.

And if I'm being totally, legitimately serious, my favorite song on both records is "Evagria the Faithful". That song grooves so fucking hard.

So fucking right, love that song.

Here's the thing...when Mic Todd did what he did, it was almost like a black cloud (rainbow even) came rushing in over the band for a while.  Things were bad, and there were concerns they would NOT bounce back from that kind of black mark. 

When Josh came back, and Zac got brought on, it really was like a breath of fresh air. Josh plays with such strong emotion, and not to say Chris isn't talented (he is, i.e.; Guns of Summer), he was far too technical, and it didn't feel natural.

From the first songs released on Ascension, it honestly felt like they were closer to their roots then they had been in years.  They were reinvigorated again; I'm excited for this new era of the 'Heed, just as excited as I was way back in the day.

From the first songs released on Ascension, it honestly felt like they were closer to their roots then they had been in years.  They were reinvigorated again; I'm excited for this new era of the 'Heed, just as excited as I was way back in the day.

Totally. I feel about as excited now for whatever album they come up with next as I did in the time before GA1 came out.

And why not? They'll be coming off a tour where they played IKSOSE:3 every night, just like back then.

Ya this lineup is great, I miss Mic he had his own groove and style no one will ever have and he was a nice but troubled dude.....

In 2007? Warped tour me and the wife ran into him at their merch booth (he got off selling merch but fans just though he was just a merch guy, hes pretty nondescript) we hung out all day with him till their set, took us on the bus, meet the band, gave us a bunch of hoodies/shirts and stuff and all signed it for us introduced us to another bands merch girl he was digging on. Told us about his ex wife and the issues/drug issues they had and that he had finally left all that to get back into the band ect. But Josh was still gone and Chris I remember was a pretentious snob we seemed to irritate him, seemed pissed we were their, everyone else was really cool Claudio was busy on his laptop and reading a Wizard but was chatty. Hell even their manager was very nice to us.

Wish Mic was back too (nothing against their new guy he seems VERY standup and is a soild bass player with a great style too.