OUT NOW: Coheed and Cambria - In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth: 3 Repress

If the peach tour-only variant were the only version out there available, I'd somewhat understand the bitching and moaning. But it's NOT! There are plenty of black 180-gram copies to be purchased and there was plenty of time before the Grey one sold out.

This^ x100

It was 3 or 4 days at least before the grey sold out.

As I've already said, I bought 1 on the first day, concerned that it was going to instantly sell out and wanted to leave some for all you other "real fans" out there to get one. Days later I look and see there are still some left, but they're beginning to get low, which surprised me (that there were any left.) I went ahead and picked up 2 more, because, why not? People aren't jumping on these and a year down the road they'll be going for nuts prices.

If I could sell one of them tomorrow for $100 I would absolutely do it because I'd have gotten my ticket to the show and my copy of the record for free then.  

I'm more likely to want to trade it for a copy of SSTB down the line though, since I missed out on those when they were last repressed, and the green one is pretty badass.

So people are paying money to get this Platinum VIP thing (from what I read, I don't actually know) just to get into a Coheed and Cambria show, just so they can buy this record, just so they can flip it?

I'm not going to get into a debate about what who is doing and why. I bought platinum. I will buy a peach. My wife also has platinum and will buy a peach for her cousin (who is regular GA and coming with us). If he weren't coming I could buy 2 peaches and flip one. I'm not because I don't want to bum out some fan behind me. That's my stance.

Now granted, if people who already have either of those VIPs decide to get copies and flip them, that's their damn business. Surely it sucks and feels wrong for all of those "more deserving fans" who need a reality check and their inflated sense of entitlement knocked down a few pegs.

While I concur entirely that it is there business what they do with it, it just sucks to see it. That's all.

So people are paying money to get this Platinum VIP thing (from what I read, I don't actually know) just to get into a Coheed and Cambria show, just so they can buy this record, just so they can flip it?

no. the Platinum VIP also gets you a Platinum VIP-only cassette of demos, a meet and greet, and you get a professionally-taken photo with the band, in addition to the Gold VIP benefit of a pre-show VIP-only acoustic song performance.

it wasn't just to get in early.

I hate saying this, but honestly, if I was going to one of these concerts, and some dude walked up to me and said, "I'll give you $150 to get me one of the peach variants," I'd walk right up and buy it for him. If you say you wouldn't do that because it may "burn the guy behind" you, then you're crazy. Well, that's the same thing as flipping, just way easier. So, I completely agree with Bea, because I wouldn't do it all the time. Just when there's an obvious opportunity.

It was SO easy getting a SSTB tour copy. This is almost comical how freaked out everyone is. Just go and enjoy the goddamn show, it's going to be great.

YOU enjoy the show :P

Seriously, you are right. We're all worked up over something that we can get in black all we want. When you take a step back it is kinda ridiculous. That's why I think of it as an addiction instead of

THE HOBBY!!!  (as Juan puts it).

Unrelated, but I feel like (most) Coheed fans are the absolute worst. Even when I was all about the band in high-school, I didn't take it to the obsessive level that the majority of the crowd took it. Waiting in line was pretty grueling; I got to listen to a group of nerds attempt to 1-up each other on the Amory Wars plot line, and also some pretentious fans insist Claudio is an idiot for using a screwdriver on his guitar in later recordings. ("It's such a nice guitar, and I'm just like... 'What are you DOING man?!' Like if you're going to do that, you don't even deserve to have it.") And of course there was bragging of band signatures, owning original copies of older albums – the usual stuff. Far be it from me to rain on anyone's parade or interfere with their enjoyment of the show, but I couldn't believe how many obnoxious neck-beards populate their fan base these days.

I will say that I quite enjoyed hearing one guy say "Tch, whatever. I'll just get one on eBay for cheap, son!" – in response to the tour press selling out a dozen spots before him in line.

Unrelated, but I feel like (most) Coheed fans are the absolute worst. Even when I was all about the band in high-school, I didn't take it to the obsessive level that the majority of the crowd took it. Waiting in line was pretty grueling; I got to listen to a group of nerds attempt to 1-up each other on the Amory Wars plot line, and also some pretentious fans insist Claudio is an idiot for using a screwdriver on his guitar in later recordings. ("It's such a nice guitar, and I'm just like... 'What are you DOING man?!' Like if you're going to do that, you don't even deserve to have it.") And of course there was bragging of band signatures, owning original copies of older albums – the usual stuff. Far be it from me to rain on anyone's parade or interfere with their enjoyment of the show, but I couldn't believe how many obnoxious neck-beards populate their fan base these days.

I will say that I quite enjoyed hearing one guy say "Tch, whatever. I'll just get one on eBay for cheap, son!" – in response to the tour press selling out a dozen spots before him in line.

You are right. Just all-around. There are some absolute fuckers. I'm obsessed, but I try to not come off as pretentious. Sometimes I do and it's not intentional, but maybe I just am pretentious and don't realize it. Either way, I hope the show was epic. and you just forced me to google what a neck-beard is. Thank you. This is my new favorite term.

Agreed. I LOVED these dudes in HS and I still couldn't stand most of their fans. Same with most bands though. Music lovers are a bunch of pretentious dumb-shit neckbeards.

You are right. Just all-around. There are some absolute fuckers. I'm obsessed, but I try to not come off as pretentious. Sometimes I do and it's not intentional, but maybe I just am pretentious and don't realize it. Either way, I hope the show was epic. and you just forced me to google what a neck-beard is. Thank you. This is my new favorite term.

Oh yeah, the show was incredible. Absolutely phenomenal. I've seen the band a handful of times in my day, but they're bringing just as much (if not more) energy than ever, and everyone sounds on point. The lighting was also top-notch, and hearing IKS start to finish was the best kind of nostalgia, too. Anyone who hasn't caught them on this tour is in for a huge treat.

Agreed. I LOVED these dudes in HS and I still couldn't stand most of their fans. Same with most bands though. Music lovers are a bunch of pretentious dumb-shit neckbeards.

I think it really comes down to the personality. I know that may make me sound snobby as hell, but it's just how I feel. I've chatted with complete strangers at shows (or in line at shows) who are huge fans of the band but also super chill and enjoyable to converse with. It's the ones who borderline hyperventilate while flexing their fandom that I can't stomach. They come in all walks - young, old, gents, ladies, etc. But I feel like I ran into more at that Coheed show than my collective concert experiences of the last 10 years.

I know different things make people laugh but I want "Music lovers are a bunch of pretentious dumb-shit neckbeards" on my tomb stone please.

I know the tour just started, but I would've figured that some (any) of the Platinum and/or Gold VIP holders would have posted details as to the process when they arrived at the shows. There's really nothing even posted over on Cobalt & Calcium.

Bunch of slackers!

Coheed posted something on their page a few days ago about the process. The will call opens 3 hours before doors.

I know. I meant from the VIP holders perspective. 

As in. "We went in at 6pm, Lined up inside, got pics taken w/ the band, afterwards we were able to hit the merch table and get the precious IKSSE:3 vinylz and then waited for the gold VIP to get in for the pre-show performance."

Like that. 

I know. I meant from the VIP holders perspective.

As in. "We went in at 6pm, Lined up inside, got pics taken w/ the band, afterwards we were able to hit the merch table and get the precious IKSSE:3 vinylz and then waited for the gold VIP to get it for the pre-show performance."

Like that.

Gotcha! Yeah that is curious.