New DEAFHEAVEN LP in 2015

jhulud

I think part of it is that they want to set themselves apart from other post-rock bands - because without the "black metal" vocals and the blast beats, Deafheaven is fundamentally just another This Will Destroy You. That being said, I do like the drums a lot.

I'll probably listen to the new record when it comes out next year, but... yeah, not expecting to be blown away.

However, Deafheaven is probably the best of the VC hype bands, IMO.

Agreed on both counts. 

I can't stand Brand New, but that's another discussion.

Loved Roads To Judah, but thought Sunbather was way overrated and just okay. My friend ruined it for me when he said the singer sounded like a petulant little brat screaming for his toys. Now, that's what I keep hearing.

I prefer Wolves In The Throne Room when it comes to this particular genre of USBM. Try out Black Cascade if you haven't checked them out. http://wolvesinthethroneroom.bandcamp.com/album/black-cascade

Loved Roads To Judah, but thought Sunbather was way overrated and just okay. My friend ruined it for me when he said the singer sounded like a petulant little brat screaming for his toys. Now, that's what I keep hearing.

I prefer Wolves In The Throne Room when it comes to this particular genre of USBM. Try out Black Cascade if you haven't checked them out. http://wolvesinthethroneroom.bandcamp.com/album/black-cascade

I'd recommend Two Hunters over Black Cascade as a start, but anything by them is good overall.

Speaking of WITTR and their ilk, I looooove Ash Borer

Can't agree more.  I think they're my favorite of the newer USBM bands in the last four or five years.  Their demo and self titled album are both really strong.

That's how I feel. However, I'm odd.

I consider the vocals more of an instrument than anything, feel the same way about Sigur Ros.

I agree that Deafheaven have probably outgrown Deathwish.  Regardless I think it's pretty lame for them to say that in an interview.  It's not going to stop me from buying this record or going to a show.  Still am curious who will be putting this out and am excited to hear what they will do next. 

Band is mediocre at best. I don't see why people go ape shit over them. Black metal hipsters with eyeliner?

Sounds to me like we're talking about two different bands? Where are you getting eyeliner from? Between that and the infamously hollow "hipster" label, I'm just going to assume you have no idea what you're talking about.

The folks who are saying that George's vocals are basically another instrument are the ones who get it. Same deal with Converge and Sigur Rós for me – they're aren't mixed to the forefront and shouldn't be that distracting, but I understand how a lot of folks can get hung up on them.

this is probably one of the worst threads I've read on this site in a while and there are threads dedicated to rise records at hot topic here. 

I don't find George's comment about Deathwish that inflammatory - outside of Converge they are the biggest band on that label (and it's debatable on which band is currently "bigger" between Deafheaven and Converge). They can probably sign with a bigger indie such as XL or whatever. 

I really dug sunbather when it came out, but quickly got over it for some reason. So, meh

Same. I still go back to Roads occasionally and I like their Cody cover a little. I can't wait for the new album hype to sell the Sunbather clear splatter. Nobody PM me...

this is probably one of the worst threads I've read on this site in a while and there are threads dedicated to rise records at hot topic here.

I don't find George's comment about Deathwish that inflammatory - outside of Converge they are the biggest band on that label (and it's debatable on which band is currently "bigger" between Deafheaven and Converge). They can probably sign with a bigger indie such as XL or whatever.

Converge isn't on Deathwish and it's debatable whether or not Touche is the biggest band on the label.

I don't understand the hype behind this band AT ALL... Personally, if I'm not into something, I can generally see why others on this board and elsewhere are into it. But with this band, it just doesn't make any sense. Sure, the instrumentals are pretty-sounding but how far can those instrumentals go? They sound very interstellar-ish but I can't enjoy that past one song, and then his vocals come in. What the hell are those vocals? 

As for the comment, I don't think many sufficient opinions can really be drawn from just a quote; however, it does give a small condescending impression.