Why does a black record get lighter in color?

nothnks

Couldn't find a thread for this already

Every time I buy a black record, after I listen to it a couple times, it get's a little lighter in color, like a grey sheen over the record, and sometimes gets small swirls of the lighter black throughout. It happened so consistently, and didn't affect the sound (as far as I could tell), so I just assumed it wasn't an issue. Just something that happened.

Recently, I got a new record, and this happened waaaaaaayy sooner than usual, and some of the waves of color change look almost like aggressive scratches. There's nothing I could've done to scratch the record, and still no effect on the sound.

What it is?

not sure if this is what you're talking about, but I just happened to be reading about this the other day...

http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=43623&sid=0596a0f2c12a1366f51c64b55431a4a1

Nope, just a paper sleeve, and no audible change. Thanks though.

I've noticed this on black records I've bought new. A lot of them also have streaks and swirls all over if you look at the surface in the light.

Exactly, it only seems to be shittier quality records that get it though. 

i.e. MoFi Pinkerton looks pristine but new EWBAITE looks like I ran it under a belt sander.

Couldn't find a thread for this already

Every time I buy a black record, after I listen to it a couple times, it get's a little lighter in color, like a grey sheen over the record, and sometimes gets small swirls of the lighter black throughout. It happened so consistently, and didn't affect the sound (as far as I could tell), so I just assumed it wasn't an issue. Just something that happened.

Recently, I got a new record, and this happened waaaaaaayy sooner than usual, and some of the waves of color change look almost like aggressive scratches. There's nothing I could've done to scratch the record, and still no effect on the sound.

What it is?

How old is your cartridge/stylus?