Record Store Day 2015 (4/18/15)

Really hoping Broke With Expensive Tate winds up on color and not as a picture disc. Would buy that in a heartbeat (one of my 5 favorites from 14' and it's not on vinyl).

Curious about the Daughter, Warpaint remixes as well.

Daughter have joined forces with Warpaint to reveal one-off remixes of one another’s work. 

The first remix is unveiled here - Warpaint’s reimagining of ‘Winter’.

Daughter’s remix of a to-be-announced Warpaint track will go live at 3pm (UK time), 10am (EST), 7am (PST) on Monday, 1st December. 

The remixes will then come together on an ultra-limited edition 12” EP that will be available exclusively as part of Record Store Day 2015. 

Notice that anyone who gives a crap about this thing is under 18 years old or has less than 50 posts.

I'm a little confused as to why that matters - if I want a 'The Lego Movie' picture disc then I'll get one.

If you REALLY despise the idea of one so much then just simply ignore it when you're browsing on the day.

I'm a little confused as to why that matters - if I want a 'The Lego Movie' picture disc then I'll get one.

If you REALLY despise the idea of one so much then just simply ignore it when you're browsing on the day.

(Center alignment?) I assure you I'm not losing any sleep over this goddamn Lego record, so you're playing that "JUST DON'T READ IT LOL" card a bit unjustly. I was being dismissive, you're being defensive.

Welcome to VC.

I think as soon as the Lego movie release was announced as a 2xLP picture disc with a die cut sleeve for RSD, it became another gimmick release for that day.  Had it been a 2xLP on brick yellow released in the middle of the summer or something, it would be a different story.  I get that there's a demand for this soundtrack on vinyl, but now it seems like it's more about aesthetic and what'll look cool on a shelf (or more likely a frame) and sell units as opposed to what sounds good and is a quality release all around.  The focus is all wrong on this.  I'm not familiar with a label and for all I know, they could be doing amazing releases all year around.  But these 'oooh shiny' RSD releases seem more like an attempt to cash in on the holiday then to actually contribute something to the format and day.

(Center alignment?) I assure you I'm not losing any sleep over this goddamn Lego record, so you're playing that "JUST DON'T READ IT LOL" card a bit unjustly. I was being dismissive, you're being defensive.

Welcome to VC.

Just simply say "no thanks", that's all. I've noticed on this forum that's not something that's often used though.

16 posts and taking on Rambo? That's giant balls of steel.

No direct target of course. The whole thing said is pretty much directed at anybody talking low about the 'LEGO Movie' picture disc, although I completely understand it is pretty much a bandwagon route rather than genuinely being a 'release' needed. I just like to give my (unneeded) opinion a lot of the times regardless of many people on this forum being very against it.

Just simply say "no thanks", that's all. I've noticed on this forum that's not something that's often used though.

Don't tell me what to do ;)

16 posts and taking on Rambo? That's giant balls of steel.

I'm not trippin', it's that time of the year where new people run up in here and try and tell us how it is. After RSD comes and goes things will go back to normal.

I think as soon as the Lego movie release was announced as a 2xLP picture disc with a die cut sleeve for RSD, it became another gimmick release for that day. Had it been a 2xLP on brick yellow released in the middle of the summer or something, it would be a different story. I get that there's a demand for this soundtrack on vinyl, but now it seems like it's more about aesthetic and what'll look cool on a shelf (or more likely a frame) and sell units as opposed to what sounds good and is a quality release all around. The focus is all wrong on this. I'm not familiar with a label and for all I know, they could be doing amazing releases all year around. But these 'oooh shiny' RSD releases seem more like an attempt to cash in on the holiday then to actually contribute something to the format and day.

This sums it up perfectly.

Had it been a 2xLP on brick yellow released in the middle of the summer or something, it would be a different story.

It was although not in the summer. Music on vinyl released it on yellow and on red coloured vinyl a little while ago, I picked one up for my daughter when it came out. And yes that one particular song can be heard in our house constantly now.

http://www.discogs.com/Mark-Mothersbaugh-The-Lego-Movie-Original-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack/release/6588655

On the whole though I completely agree with your post, just another cash cow so if you want a yellow or a red one they are not going for $150 and I'll guarantee will sound more awesome than a picture disc.

There's always a mountain of shit releases on RSD, always some gems too but there's the problem. At my local stores there'll be say 100-200 queued up and maybe 1 or 2 copies of the stuff most of them want and about 50 copies of some repress of some shit album that's widely available. Fans lose out and I'm guessing stores do too.